Q-Acoustics 2050

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
As one of the lucky Q-Acoustics 2050 competition winners I just wanted to say thank you to the team after receiving the prize on Monday.

I'm pairing the speakers with a Cambridge Audio 640aV2, a cheap DAC from Hotaudio and a Pro-Ject 1.2 turntable. In terms of sound quality I agree with the WHF review in that they over a very smooth listen with plenty bass, my only wish is that they had a little more sparkle in the treble but other than that they are a fine speaker. For reference I borrowed a pair of Quad 12L2 speakers for a comparison with the Q-Acoustics and whilst the Quad’s do offer fantastic imaging and a sense of air around the treble the Q-Acoustics more than make up for that lack of sparkle with its richer mid-band, better bass and equally impressive soundstage.

Anyway thanks again and just thought I would share my experience with the speakers.

I'm delighted to hear you're pleased with your prize - it is heartening to learn the speakers have gone to a good home
emotion-2.gif

You will find the sound of the 2050 continues to improve over the coming days and weeks. I'm confident you'll discover the soundstage and imaging will become even more rock solid and the overall sound more open and dynamic.

Very best regards,

Steve Reichert - PR Manager, Armour Home (Q Acoustics)

A

Anonymous

Another very happy lucky person here. Finally got them home from work tonight and have been enjoying Jimmy Eat World's new album. They're in a room that is definitely too small for them, but I just don't care. A wonderful step up from the Wharfedale 9.1's I started on and I now know the real meaning of what a sound stage is.

A big thanks to all those at What HiFi for the generosity!

A

Anonymous

I have 9.1's and am looking to upgrade...can you say what you are driving them with...Cheers ?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Budget system for me (my first half decent hifi)....Nad C315BEE and the source is a NAD C515BEE (Chord Chrimson interconnect)

If the Q Acoustics 2050s are being used close to a rear wall, you should try fitting the foam 'port bungs' into the rear speaker ports. If you haven't tried this already, it's worth giving it a go. It reduces the bass output, which may make it sound better in a small room.

Very best regards,

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Steve Reichert PR Manager ArmourHome:
If the Q Acoustics 2050s are being used close to a rear wall, you should try fitting the foam 'port bungs' into the rear speaker ports. If you haven't tried this already, it's worth giving it a go. It reduces the bass output, which may make it sound better in a small room.

Very best regards,

This is what I have done with mine as they are in a small room although it does rob a smidgen of that smooth mid-range!

Great speakers all the same and I wasn't sure I would like they piano white but the finish is growing on me...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your info....I have a 640A and I am curious how you are finding the top end Northerrnsoul...does any brightness spoil your enjoyment? I think I read opinions that the 2050's can be tricky with the 640A...could you recommend them for my audition list? Thanks

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Nooby:Thanks for your info....I have a 640A and I am curious how you are finding the top end Northerrnsoul...does any brightness spoil your enjoyment? I think I read opinions that the 2050's can be tricky with the 640A...could you recommend them for my audition list? Thanks

I wouldn't consider the top end bright with this pairing, I am currently listening to the Dire Straits track Brothers in Arms as I'm typing and the clarity in the vocal is impressive with no harshness to it. I know Superfi have the speakers in stock in store so you could always take your amp in and demo it with the 2050's. In all I'm very pleased with the performance so it's a recommendation from me!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts