Q acoustics 2020i

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
As much for astethics as anything, to replace my JPW ML510s, I just bought a pair of q acoustics 2020i. After a redecoration they will look better (isn't that a good enough reason to buy). I wanted them also though :)

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
How do they sound compared to the JPWs?

I had a pair of ML710 floorstanders a while back and thought they were very underrated speakers.

I've been considering 2020s for a while but am undecided on their looks, from pictures their depth looks a bit disproportionate, however if they sound as good as the reviews suggest I may be tempted.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought them online this morning, I should have them Friday. I'll give it a few days and report back. The JPW ML 510 speakers are good. I never thought about changing them, but I bought Cambridge Audio sx50 for my sitting room a few months back and they are better, so I thought why not upgrade.

The JPW certainly lasted very well, and I may use them in a system in my shed for when I'm tipping at little jobs

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just to follow up as you asked about the Q Acoustics 2020i

-they are an improvement over the JPW ML510s (which are no slouch either). The main differences I hear is that the bass is tighter (I have them on brackets close to a wall so have the bungs fitted, did not even try them without as from experience with other speakers anything less than a foot need something to dampen the boom). I also feel that they fill the room a little better. These improvements are not night and day, but subtle, and considering I wanted newer, slightly smaller and a more modern look I can say that I am happy and recommend them highly at the price I paid (149 euro)

The downsides- they are very deep alright, so the size saving isn't as much as I had hoped, in fact their physical volume is probably as much as the JPW, but in my set up they look better (and this was a consideration as I have them hanging in a very visible part of the family kitchen/living room side, not my main living room. Also they have a cut out at the bottom for wiring. This is great if placing them on a shelf or stands. For me it was quite awkward, as I wanted to place them on my existing brackets. These brackets clamp at the rear and fwd, but at the rear where you would normally tighten some screws, there was no part of the speaker to clamp against. It meant I had to make up 2 spacers to sort it, not the end of the world, but inconvenient

insider9

That's great. It's so easy in this hobby to spend money fixing one problem just to discover 2 more appearing out of nowhere. I know from however short experience. In this case not changing the whole sound signature and subtle improvements of something you like was a very wise route to go. It sounds win-win considering lovely modern looks (both speakers and amp). You have yourself a great compact and a rather smart package. Congrats!

Rowan1981

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Happy to hear ou like your Q acoustics.

I've had my 2020i' for around 5 months now. I cant really fualt them for the price. Firstly I had them hooked up to a Cambridge Audio Topaz Am5. my first impressions partnered with this amp were pretty disappointing & though that maybe the speakers were not really up to scratch for my needs. So I thought I would use them for a while with the CA but after 100+ hours of listening there didnt seem to be much of an improvement. I then decided to change my amp to a Marantz Pm5005, once I hooked the Q's up to the Marrantz the differnce the difference was night and day compared with the CA, the marantz really brough out the best in these speakers. However I'm sure that there other amps tht would improve the sound even more so. but for now i'm very happy with this set up as I'm living in a pretty small apartment in Bangkok. Happy Listening! ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts