Question Q Accoustics 2050i upgrade needed for system?

Gazzjenks

Apr 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi guys..I’m new here but have been into Hi fi for many years. I currently have a system comprising of Project debut carbon turntable, Arcam FMJ A19 Amp, Rotel Cd12 CD player and Q Accoustic 2050i speakers.
Although I feel my system gives a good sound I feel that it could be better with more detail and I’m guessing it’s the speakers that could need upgrading?
I listen to CD mainly but also vinyl quite frequently and I like most tastes in music.
I don’t mind standmounters or floorstanders and my budget is around £500.
Am I on the right path wanting to upgrade the speakers and if so any recommendations please?

insider9

Hi, that's an interesting question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers. What size is your listening space? How close are your speakers to walls? What volumes are you usually listening at? And finally have you got a local dealer that would supply you with a home demo of whatever gear you might want to try or simply sell with no quibble returns?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I have never heard a QAcoustic speaker I like including the Concepts.

That makes me weary to recommend anything to you but FWIW, I have held Quad's S series in high regard and have owned the S2 for some time in a Hegel system.

Good all rounders, great build, good price.

Reactions: Gazzjenks

Gazzjenks

Apr 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi, that's an interesting question. I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers. What size is your listening space? How close are your speakers to walls? What volumes are you usually listening at? And finally have you got a local dealer that would supply you with a home demo of whatever gear you might want to try or simply sell with no quibble returns?

Hi. My listening space without actually measuring it is quite small, like a square box room, I tend to listen at medium volumes. I unfortunately need to keep the speakers close to the wall due to space and there is an Audio T pretty close that may help in that regards. Thanks.

insider9

Having speaker close to a wall makes it very difficult. I appreciate we all have to live first and foremost and have a passion on top of that.

If you want to buy new I'm not sure you'll get a huge improvement. However you can get something you enjoy more, possibly significantly more.

We all hear things differently so demo is a must. Ideally a home demo. I'd suggest trying Fyne Audio F302 to start the ball rolling. Listen at the dealership if that's the only way to do it and if you want a meaningful comparison consider taking the rest of your system with you.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If it's a small square box room my guess is the speakers are too powerful and the bass is overpowered a little causing the whole sound to seem a little muddled and robbing clarity a little.

You probably need a smaller speaker that positioned close to the wall works ok.

I'd look at the wharfedale range of standmounters that have the downfiring plinth. I'd bet even the more budget ones (diamond 220) would work better in your room than the large floorstander. The q Acoustics are great but need space

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts