Purist transport Denon DBT-3313UD is a stunner!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Just went from Oppo BDP-93 to the Denon DBT-3313UD transport player, and it's quite a stunner. Surely the Oppo's have always been great, but this top model Denon is a few steps above. Not only is it faster, more responsive and dead quiet in operation - it has the most wonderfully smooth rubberised loading tray I ever encountered. Sturdiness and build quality is fantastic - it truly is built like a tank. Best of all for me though is that the picture feed doesn't jerk and studder during certain difficult panning scenes - a problem I often had with the Oppo. Splitting the audio / video completely into two HDMI's have also brought on some slight improvements, something the Oppo could also do but not altogether the same way as this Denon model does. Other than that picture quality is on par with the Oppo, the Denon possibly a slight edge in overall clarity, but not by much. Everything else about it screams higher quality. Audio (bitstream) also seem to exhibit a touch more 'weight' and 'body' than I experienced through the Oppo listening to soundtracks I'm very familiar with.

Always been a fan of top model Denons players and this one is no different. Was first looking at the Marantz UD7007, but seeing as I am in no need of all those analogue outputs the idea of a purist transport like this is brilliant (much like their past model DVD-2500BT that I also owned). In the 'right' system the Marantz or Oppo's are great I reckon, and in the 'right' system this Denon is equally great. Why pay for things I have no intention of using, many of which Oppo insist upon stuffing into their machines, however good they are, including the newer BDP-103/105.

35c53qo.jpg

Have currently upgraded from a Denon receiver to a separates NuForce system consisting of the AVP-18 processor and the MCH-300SEC7 multichannel amplifer and this Denon transport complements them well, better than the Oppo did. Just wanted to post this to also recommend anyone out there with basic needs looking for a player to check this one out! I am amazed myself.

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah good choice! I am looking to upgrade myself but was thinking to get this model with the AVR X4000. Apparently the Denon Link is meant to improve sound quality. Has anyone demo'd 3313 UD with the AVR 3313 / X4000 Denon Link?

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
They are impressive machines aren't they! ;) And, I'm glad Denon aren't merely "copies" of Oppo players, such as other specific models out there. I got a really good price for it, I think ~ 500 EUROS, which is lower than the cost of the Oppo BDP-103 in my country at present, so naturally I simply could not resist. And I sold my BDP-93 for 300 EUROS today so it's been a great deal overall in the end.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
DM_London said:
Yeah good choice! I am looking to upgrade myself but was thinking to get this model with the AVR X4000. Apparently the Denon Link is meant to improve sound quality. Has anyone demo'd 3313 UD with the AVR 3313 / X4000 Denon Link?

Please do! A collegue at work got this player for his new AVR-4520 a few months ago and with his Monitor Audio RX6 a/v system he claims to hear a sonic improvement in terms of spatial detail and a more 'airy' feel with Denon HD-link, so I think it might be worth a consideration. It would likely depend on the revealing character of your speakers though I believe. Sadly, I cannot use this function over the NuForce... but as I understand it the processor AVP-18 is skilful at minimizing jitter internally, and since I now split audio / video completely with two separated HDMI cables via pure direct on the DBT-3313 interference should be down to a minimum (it certainly sounds that way! it's crystal-clear!).

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
YES! Michael, I remember the two of us mentioning owning the DVD-2500BT before. It was a great one! But by todays standard WAY too slow! HA! I actually stil have it, and am going to sell it alongside my trusty Denon AVR-3808 receiver as soon as possible. I think that might answer your queston on how I'm getting on with the NuForce duo! (I'll give more details soon!)

;) :p :grin:

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't agree more.

I own the Denon 1713UD and can't fault it and also having owned the 2500BT (with which I still own) I find this an improvement over this :)

From what I've heard and read I don't think there's much difference between the 3313 and 1713 in performance terms etc, but more of connectivity values i.e the all denon HD link

The 1713 like the 3313 are built to a high quality (both identical) and the perfect size, not to small like the sony's and panny's etc and not to bulky like the 2500BT.

Silky smooth loading tray and like you say very quiet in operation. Loading times are very quick to boot.

Picture quality is nigh on perfect, best I've yet seen, clean, detailed, wonderfully saturated colours, great contrast , just amazing!!

Sound - awesome !! Ticks every box :) Yes I know it's a transport but??? It "produces" better sound than what the 2500BT did.

Upscaling - does the job nicely although I hardly ever watch DVD's anymore

CD playback - although very very good I still don't think you can beat a dedicated "good" CD player, my Arcam over analogue is a much better quality to it, MO of course, however I've never rated bluray players as very good CD player's anyway, however, it's great for SACD :)

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
jase fox said:
Couldn't agree more.

I own the Denon 1713UD and can't fault it and also having owned the 2500BT (with which I still own) I find this an improvement over this :)

From what I've heard and read I don't think there's much difference between the 3313 and 1713 in performance terms etc, but more of connectivity values i.e the all denon HD link

The 1713 like the 3313 are built to a high quality (both identical) and the perfect size, not to small like the sony's and panny's etc and not to bulky like the 2500BT.

Silky smooth loading tray and like you say very quiet in operation. Loading times are very quick to boot.

Picture quality is nigh on perfect, best I've yet seen, clean, detailed, wonderfully saturated colours, great contrast , just amazing!!

Sound - awesome !! Ticks every box :) Yes I know it's a transport but??? It "produces" better sound than what the 2500BT did.

Upscaling - does the job nicely although I hardly ever watch DVD's anymore

CD playback - although very very good I still don't think you can beat a dedicated "good" CD player, my Arcam over analogue is a much better quality to it, MO of course, however I've never rated bluray players as very good CD player's anyway, however, it's great for SACD :)

Awesome with someone else who also owned the 2500BT ;)

Yeah, the 1713UD seem great too! Was actually looking at that model first, but as the the step-up 3313UD got double HDMI with A/V Pure Direct it was a no brainer. I really wanted the possibility of completely separating audio and video paths for cleanest possible transfer. I believe this Denon does that better than Oppo. The advantage of doing this in the nuances, but it's there. Tonight I watched "The Dark Knight" and in terms of the picture it's cleaner and more detailed in dark scenes than the Oppo was, and audio to my NuForce processor is razor sharp yet with that slight pleasing Denon warmth I love. Very happy with this purchase! Denon knows their blu-ray players!

Two things I don't like: firmware update is limited to wired network only (via USB not possible) and the player won't remember your prefered dimmer settings after powering down. The Oppo's are more flexible on these issues.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm not interested and would have no need for twin HDMI's

And Denon sure do know there player's Ricky as I've always preferred them, even there stand alone DVD player's :)

Oh and I'm so pleased you've removed the sticker label of the front fascia - just saying ;)

michael hoy

Depending what is available at the time, I am considering going back to the Denon transport and adding a dedicated streamer.

I like the OPPO and glad I bought it, but the Denon is still in the back of my mind.

Glad you both like the 3313 and the 1713.

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
I am considering going back to the Denon transport
Go for it Michael
smiley-wink.gif

How you doing anyway? Hope all is well?

As for the Denon's they are Excellent ! I recently rigged up the 2500BT again as was curious to compare the quality over the 1713 and I can honestly say it is an improvement.

However, not a huge one but an improvement all the same, the overall picture seems more natural and lifelike, shadow detail is slightly clearer, with keeping the pin sharp images that the 2500 holds.

Try get a demo Michael see what you think mate :)

michael hoy

Hi Jase,

Sorry not to have been in touch (a lot going on at the moment).

I am tempted to go for a Linn DS for streaming then sell the OPPO and by a transport again for Blu Ray.

Hope you are keeping well.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys.

Just to confirm: this Denon is an excellent BD and C D! stereo player. For stereo fanatics - Denon DBT-3313UD plays music CDs much better than a standalone five star Marantz CD6005, that's it. Plus you'll get this stunning movie pics including dazzling DVD upscale, if you can still find any obsolete DVDs...

I've bought this firstly because of a good bargain price and secondly I wanted a 1 box BD / CD player. Picked Denon over Marantz again because of 100 quid savings and liked the neat and less cluttered Denon face better every time.

Connected mine via Chord Chameleon RCA to Yamaha RX-A1010 analog in and switched the receiver to Pure Direct for this CD stretchmyfeet dreamy listening and man, is it good?

So, if you need a HiFi CD and BD player in one, this is it. Better than Oppo, because the Oppo equivalent costs 500 more, GBP that is.

I'm listening to Yamaha RX-A1010 to MA Silver RX6 stereo only via Chord Odyssey bi-amped thru bare wires on binding posts sourced from Denon DBT-3313UD and Netgear NAS populated with waves files. Thank you all at What HiFi threads. Bowies' Little China Girl plays right now, hmm.

Jerry

jerryapril@msn.com said:
So, if you need a HiFi CD and BD player in one, this is it. Better than Oppo, because the Oppo equivalent costs 500 more, GBP that is.

I'm not denying that Denon is a great player, but why are you comparing with Oppo 105 & not 103?

The Denon is a transport only, and Oppo 103 is as good as Oppo 105 if you want your AV receiver to decode audio (by bitstreaming from your BD player). This is confirmed by Oppo themselves.

Oppo 105 has superior DACs for its analogue outs. That is the only difference with Oppo 103. Denon doesn't have analogue outs at all.

jerryapril

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
"Denon doesn't have analogue outs at all":

I do not know about that. At the back of DBT-3313UD there is a pair of RCA golden plated connectors marked "Audio Out". This is good enough for me as far as analog output is concerned. I've got these connected to my receiver audio in and I do get a sound...

Link to Denon site: http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/product/pages/product-detail.aspx?catid=hometheatre&subid=blurayuniversalplayer&productid=dbt3313ud

Please confirm these are not analog outs so that I could disconnect main at last. Cheers.

Jerry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts