Pure evoke flow firmware 1.7 major problems

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else upgraded their Pure Evoke flow to firmware 1.7? I am having all sorts of problems with my radio since I did it this morning. It prompted me to upgrade over Wifi, which I did seemingly successfully. The controls are now very unresponsive, sometimes having a second or so lag before taking effect, and I can't change channel when listening to FM radio, as the radio just resets itself when I try to!

While I was typing this, the radio went into a reset loop, it displayed the FM tuning screen, then resets itself and then repeats. I had to umplug the chargepak and the mains in order to stop it.

I'm planning on reinstalling Firmware 1.5 via USB if I can find a copy of it. (I have emailed Pure support too, so hopefully they will be able to help).

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Update: The radio is having even more problems now. It lost all DAB stations, then froze up on the radio turning off screen when i tried to power it down. After unplugging it, the DAB stations came back but I still can't change FM channels if I turn the tuning knob instead of using presets. (it wouldn't even change using presets until I turned it off for a few minutes)

I'd advise anyone who is tempted to install the new firmware to hold off for now, as my radio was working perfectly on firmware 1.5 and now is fubar...

I'll post an update if I get it sorted and / or hear from Pure Support.

I now have to tell my wife that I have broken the radio I got her for Christmas last year by 'messing with it'.... wish me luck!

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Small update: So, I have just reinstalled firmware 1.7 again, via USB this time. DAB and Interweb radio seem ok, but FM is still not happy. Initially this time I could not change FM channel using the presets or the manual tuning knob. (The radio just froze and reset itself each time) So, I removed all power for 10 minutes and unplugged the chargepak. When I powered back on the FM tuner seemed to be working again. However after a few retunes via the presets, and also a couple of manual seek retunes, just as I was starting to think it had fixed itself it froze and reset itself again...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, just got a response from Pure. The tech support guys say a factory reset should do the trick; I believe they've also been in contact with you directly.

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Yup, they have been intouch. Sadly a factory reset didn't fix it. I've just this minute sent their support guys a video of exactly what is happening (exciting viewing
emotion-1.gif
), and I believe they are going to send me a copy of the old firmware to install to see if we can definitely pin it down to the firmware.

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Will do, they have sent me a copy of the old firmware this morning but as I'm not 'working' from home today I won't be able to try it until tonight.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I updated my Evoke flow over wifi last week after it prompted me.

I lost all network connectivity and could not even switch off the radio. Pure support told me to reset the radio which did not help.

I downloaded firmware 1.5 from internet and after lot of difficulties ( some of the buttons below the screen were unresponsive also)

installed it over 1.7. That seems to have sorted it for now. Only problem now is it keeps telling me to upgrade every now and then.

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
I've just finished my testing after rolling back to firmware 1.5. As I hoped it solved all the problems that had appeared with the installation of 1.7.

I spent a good half an hour changing presets and manually retuning FM stations with no problems whatsoever. DAB also worked perfectly. I then entered my Wifi Key so the radio could see the web. At that point it prompted me to install V1.7 again, which I did so that my testing was thorough (I'm a programmer, I can't help it), Immediately my radio was back in its broken state. Any attempt to tune FM stations caused the radio to repeatedly reset itself as before.

So, 1.7 is definitely the cause of the problems I've been having, I have gone back to 1.5 now so that my FM stations work, but it does mean that I can't use its internet radio features until their techie guys come up with a solution (or make the upgrade optional!)

Judging from their responses to me the support guys seem pretty decent so hopefully they'll have a solution soon.

Will keep you posted of any updates!

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Had another email from Pure Support, they say they have not had anyone else complaining about the same issue with firmware 1.7, so it must be a fault with my radio, I am now going through their returns process to get it replaced / repaired. Its just a shame that the firmware upgrade isn't optional, because I was very happy with version 1.5...

A

Anonymous

Just upgraded to 1.7 and all seems to be working fine, dab, fm, internet etc all ok

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
A replacement Evoke Flow arrived today from Pure support today. It has upgraded itself to version 1.7 and so far is working perfectly.

Just wanted to say that the Pure support has been very good. I had excellent communications from their tech support guys, who actually listened to the problem I was reporting, and suggested sensible things for me to try in order to rectify the situation (rather than just sending standard impersonal email replies as some places do), after establishing that it was likely to be a hardware fault they sent me a prepaid returns label the next day, although I didn't actually get round to sending it back until last week, and a new radio arrived today. Pretty good service if you ask me!

Just wanted to say thanks to Clare for helping out too, I'm sure a nudge from What Hi-Fi is always useful!

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
Seems I spoke to soon, Although it solved my inital problems, the wireless on the replacement radio has problems and disconnects frequently. for testing I have it sat next to a squeezebox classic which is showing 81% wireless strength and the evoke flow is showing 1 bar out of 5 which occasionally drops to 0 and loses connection. Also tested against an ipod touch which shows full strength and a laptop which shows between 4/5 and 5/5 bars.

Oh well, time to see if their support is as good a second time.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

hi

not being a techie person I have no idea what updates I have had, I bought my Evoke Flow last month and it upgraded then, it was fine, however suddenly today it will not connect to the wireless network, nor can it see my neighbours (secure!) and it will not allow me to reset the wireless network as the yes button does not work..went to DAB pushed select, nothing happened, clicked to switch off, it sits there for about 15 mins saying switching off..then reboots itself to Time not Available, if I click on anything it starts searching for the network saying connection is lost, I did a factory reset , it goes blank, I touch the on button and it asks if I want to switch off I click yes and hey ho the whole switching off debacle starts again.. Im slowly going insane ...

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
My replacement for my replacement arrived today, it's up and running, has upgraded to firmware 1.7 has good wireless signal and appears to be doing everything it should be doing!

Full marks to the Pure customer support guys, its just a shame their QC guys weren't up to the same standard!

fido87456

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
dawnC:

hi

not being a techie person I have no idea what updates I have had, I bought my Evoke Flow last month and it upgraded then, it was fine, however suddenly today it will not connect to the wireless network, nor can it see my neighbours (secure!) and it will not allow me to reset the wireless network as the yes button does not work..went to DAB pushed select, nothing happened, clicked to switch off, it sits there for about 15 mins saying switching off..then reboots itself to Time not Available, if I click on anything it starts searching for the network saying connection is lost, I did a factory reset , it goes blank, I touch the on button and it asks if I want to switch off I click yes and hey ho the whole switching off debacle starts again.. Im slowly going insane ...

Sounds like it needs replacing to me! if you've only had it a month you should be able to get it replaced by the retailer you purchased it from.

If you want to contact pure support instead here is a link to the site http://support.pure.com/

http://support.pure.com/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts