Pure chronos idock thingy.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Was thinking about a pair of these for mine and The Wife's alarm clocks. Replacing some Sony 'Dream Machine' clock radios.

Firstly. Will she be able to use her first gen Nano on it?

What's the DAB reception like? I live out in the sticks a bit, but my One Classic works fine with the aerial extended.

Does it come with a length-of-wire type aerial, a telescopic aerial, or does it need an external aerial?

Thanks.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Well Chris.

You/I have just bought the CD version of the above (no dock). The DAB reception is great. No negatives here (it uses a length of wire type aerial.

You/I may well still buy the idock version for the Mrs and see if the first gen Nano works on it (I believe it does.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
John/Anyone else.

I imagine you're using this as a bedside alarm clock, but just in case you're using it in an office/kitchen.

Have you noticed any high pitched, low volume sound coming from the plug?

A couple of nights after setting it up, I woke up to this sound that I couldn't place. A "tinging" sound (No it wasn't The Ting-Tings). After laying there thinking maybe it was the fridge playing up downstairs, I pinpointed it to the Pure's plug. It was late, so I turned it onto it's back (It's on an extension bar) and the noise seems to have stopped. Bit odd. I've heard it one other night too, so has the Mrs, so it's definitely not Tinitus. A quick smack stopped it this time.

I got it from Play, so can't be bothered with the whole returns rigmarole.

Dunno if any other PSUs will work with it.

John Duncan

Ooo. Now you've freaked me out. This was a few weeks (or even months) ago, but there was a high-pitched whining in my bedroom (and no, it wasn't Mrs JD saying she had a headache), which I couldn't locate...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Ooo. Now you've freaked me out. This was a few weeks (or even months) ago, but there was a high-pitched whining in my bedroom (and no, it wasn't Mrs JD saying she had a headache), which I couldn't locate...

Pound to a penny it's the Pure's plug.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I have seen this 'fault' mentioned elsewhere - do an internet search regarding the gizmo and I'll think you'll come across this phenomenon spoken of. I thought of buying one for just the same purpose and decided to leave it a while after seeing some of the comments. I don't fancy being on the bleeding edge.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yep. Should be easy enough to get another PSU, provided you know the voltage and current req'd...

Manual says 9v 1.5a. Easy to come by if it proves to be a persistent issue.

rob_981

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
I have the Pure Chronos idock, and I noticed a very faint, high pitched beeping sound. For the first few nights, I couldn't work out what it was (I thought it was an alarm or something way in the distance) and it was doing my head in, but when I moved it downstairs, I could still hear it. I eventually figured out that it was coming from the player itself. Bit annoying, but I can certainly live with it.

Don't know about its compatibility with Ipod nano 1st gen (as I don't have one), but I will check on the side of the box when I get home and see what it says, if you haven't already got one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts