PS4 Hard drive Upgrade

Mainiac

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi does anyone know the specs/dimensions of the PS4 hard drive?

I'm looking to order a 1TB or larger drive to replace the 500GB one that comes with the PS4, I dont want to order the wrong size or one that's incompatible.

Cheers

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
That site says 12.5mm height or less (as does another site I've seen), but Sony have said elsewhere to ensure it's 9.5mm or smaller. To be safe, I'd go with one which is 9.5mm or smaller - at 1 TB these are pretty easy to come by (e.g. link).

BTW - if you have a PS3 and upgraded that, it's exactly the same type of hard disk, so if you swapped this one out, you could always re-use this one and replace your original drive in your PS3 if you still have it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
See the note in bigboss's link about SSD hybrid drives i.e.

You’ll see that I’ve included a “Hybrid” drive, which uses a small amount of solid state storage to speed certain operations up (at least on laptops). Unfortunately, we don’t know for sure if the PS4 will utilize a hybrid dive effectively, since at least on laptops, the Operating System actually has controls to effectively use this technology. So, get the hybrid “at your own risk” with no proof or guarantees that performance will improve on the PS4.

So it will work I'm sure, but there's no proof that it will provide any performance upgrade over and above a normal 1 TB drive. Assuming you're in Europe, it might be a good idea to wait until after 15th November - you'll still have loads to time to order a drive and get it in time for the 29th Nov, and since it will be released in the US on the 15th, I'm sure all sorts of people will be testing these things out over there, so we'll know if things like this help or not.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
professorhat said:
See the note in bigboss's link about SSD hybrid drives i.e.

You’ll see that I’ve included a “Hybrid” drive, which uses a small amount of solid state storage to speed certain operations up (at least on laptops). Unfortunately, we don’t know for sure if the PS4 will utilize a hybrid dive effectively, since at least on laptops, the Operating System actually has controls to effectively use this technology. So, get the hybrid “at your own risk” with no proof or guarantees that performance will improve on the PS4.

So it will work I'm sure, but there's no proof that it will provide any performance upgrade over and above a normal 1 TB drive. Assuming you're in Europe, it might be a good idea to wait until after 15th November - you'll still have loads to time to order a drive and get it in time for the 29th Nov, and since it will be released in the US on the 15th, I'm sure all sorts of people will be testing these things out over there, so we'll know if things like this help or not.

I was just going to post the same question as the OP so all this is very useful indeed thanks guys!

My Hardened Edition of COD Ghosts for the PS4 arrived today and I was horrified when I looked on the back to find that at least 49GB of HDD space (minimum) is required for the game...that is simply ridiculous! If every PS4 game goes down this route then you will only get 8 or 9 games on a PS4 HDD as it ships with just a 500GB HDD, after the OS takes it's chunk out I expect you will be left with 470GB or so.

I'm shocked that COD takes so much space on the HDD and if that is setting the standard then there will be a lot of problems in the future and the included 500GB HDD with the PS4 now looks to be paltry...I'm going to want to swap mine out ASAP for a much bigger drive so if anyone finds any info on this nearer release I would really appreciate a heads up, thanks.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Oldboy, does that not mean that you need to have 49gb of available disc space in order to run the game? (Not that it installs the game and permanently takes up 49gb of your disc space thereafter).

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Link here to some speed tests done by IGN by different hard drive types. Certainly some evidence for putting in a hybrid SSHD drive (based on boot times and level loads since install times are restricted by the speed of the Blu-ray drive), but nothing to convince me that spending hundreds of pounds on a big enough SSD drive is good idea.

Having said that, if you already own a 1 TB standard drive (as I do in my old PS3 that I can re-use for the PS4), I don't think there's anything here to suggest buying a new SSHD drive is worth the extra outlay.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Oldboy, does that not mean that you need to have 49gb of available disc space in order to run the game? (Not that it installs the game and permanently takes up 49gb of your disc space thereafter).

Oops, my mistake! :oops: The games are installed off the disc, and a triple A title could take up 30-40gig (nearly 10% of available disc space since over 80gig is reserved for the OS.

Not ideal - looks like a choice between an almost immediate hard-drive upgrade or constant management of disc space (uninstalling completed games).

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
mr malarky said:
mr malarky said:

Oops, my mistake! :oops: The games are installed off the disc, and a triple A title could take up 30-40gig (nearly 10% of available disc space since over 80gig is reserved for the OS.

Not ideal - looks like a choice between an almost immediate hard-drive upgrade or constant management of disc space (uninstalling completed games).

Sorry for being so late to reply I have been trying to forget about the PS4 as I'm on phase 2 with the console guaranteed before xmas so I've lost track of PS4 themed threads.

Indeed Ghosts does use up 49gb of HDD space and that's a minimum requirement! Once you add map packs to that god knows just how much disc space it will end up taking up, an instant HDD upgrade is on the cards for me with a minimum 1tb drive going in to replace the 500gb one that comes with the console.

Nice to see it's a far easier task to replace the HDD with the PS4 over the PS3 and a few videos are starting to pop up now with how you do it, you do need a USB stick slim enough to go in the front slot with the latest firmware on it in order to change the HDD though which is different from the PS3 but it does seem to be rather painless to change the drive which is great as 500gb won't go far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts