admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was considering buying a media centre PC but even the moderate quality one's seem to be overpriced (sony VGX for example). What I am really after is something that I can access the internet store and watch downloaded movies (bittorrent etc), also want be able to watch internet streaming sites such as the iplayer. Would this be possible on the PS3. I appreciate storage capacity is limited.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by accessing the internet store? Do you just mean general internet access, or have you a specific download store in mind? You can access iPlayer unofficially on the PS3 at this site. Also, you can easily increase storage on the PS3 - just have a look at the guide in my sig.

A

Anonymous

Yeah when I read that through I realised it didn't make any sense what I meant was access the internet AND store downloaded movies, essentially as you can with a PC. How does the internet browser on the PS3 differ from that on a PC and why can't you access things like the iplayer officially? I assume wireless qwerty keyboards would be compatible.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
You can build a media centre PC yourself for a much better price. Building PC's are really easy plus you can download all the software you need for certain sites. I don't like surfing the net on a PS3 but the rest of it's functions are great. You will struggle to build a one for £300 but easier compared to a Sony media PC plus there are some great looking cases out there now

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Haven't tried a wireless keyboard but USB is definitely fine. Basically, the browser in the PS3 is a Sony proprietary one, so it means some things that work on IE won't work on it (much like some things won't work on Firefox and vice versa). iPlayer basically has to be sanctioned to work on a device by the BBC and this hasn't happened yet, but the guy who created the above website is actually now working on the official rubber stamped version of iPlayer for the PS3, so it's definitely coming.
As for storing downloaded movies (I'll assume what you're doing is all legal), basically the PS3 only plays certain formats of movies (see here for list). You can get software which will automatically convert most types of video files to one that the PS3 will support though, I've had good results with PS3 Video 9.
An official movie download service like the one currently running on the Xbox is due next year I believe.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice bballtom but "really easy" is relative, I wouldn't have a clue what to get or how to go about it. I'm sure I could assemble it if it was laid out it front of me but getting to that point would be the difficult part. I'm not too concerned about the useability of the browser rather the range of access for downloading and streaming.

A

Anonymous

Personally I find the ps3 pretty pants for surfing the internet- some sites don't display properly and anyway you can't,as far as I'm aware, downloadÿand playÿvery many formats, and you can't load software onto the ps3, unless you were to install another os onto it, but that all gets a bit involved.

Most pc's or macs will be able to do what you need nowadays, it's just a question of what you need from it connection-wise and quality-wise. E.g. video card capable of handling HD, or outputting over HDMI. Again I think there is a plethora of machines which would fit your needs- it's just a matter of trawling through websites or magazines. Of course, Vista premium and pro, or whatever they're called, come with windows media centre built-in, though how reliable this is at the moment I don't know. I have XP Media edition on mine, but it's not THAT slick or versatile.

Yes, it is fairly straightforward building your own home theatre pc- I have done it myself, but it just takes a LOT of research and possibly studying forums etc.ÿ

I think you have to do a bit more thinking about what you want, then research the options available. (I know you're trying to do that here-sorry if I'm not being much help!)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I agree, I wouldn't say you could replace a Media Centre PC with a PS3, but if you combine it with a standard PC i.e. download the content you want to the PC, convert it to PS3 format and then either copy it to the PS3's hard drive over the network, or stream it directly from the PC, this will work just as well.
Of course, you could argue there is one additional step compared with using a proper Media Centre PC, but I guess that's where your extra £1,000 goes!

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I was also thinking about an all-in-one soltion for playing video files, music files, and for BlueRay / DVD, and maybe TV recording.

It's possible to build a HTPC for a resonable price, but there doesn't seem any way to get non-downsampled HD audio out and have 1080P / 24FPS at the same time yet. Also, I hear comments that some of the BlueRay player software isn't great. I think it's the future, but isn't quite there yet.

The PS3 seems great in a lot of ways, but it just doesn't seem as flexible. The limited video file formats, no FLAC, the TV add-on is a bit limited for recording.

I've come to the conclusion that there isn't really a one-box solution just yet. I'll probably get a separate BlueRay player, and have a PC for TV recording and file playback if nothing changes soon in the HTPC world.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. What I really want is just to be able to watch downloaded content from legit and dubious sources on something other than my crappy laptop without going through the hassle of burning files onto DVD's etc. The PC is not an option currently as that is in the office which as you can imagine is not an environment conducive to movie watching. I also like the idea of doing all my usual computing things on my sofa on a large screen. I thought that maybe the PS3 would be a reasonable compromise sinceit offers the blue ray and gaming options but they are just a bonus not the primary objective (since I have a 360) and it seems from what is being said that the PS3 would probably not meet that objective? Being able to connect a laptop to the TV would probably suit in fact I don't really see what a media centre pc has to offer over a similar specced laptop at a much lower price except reduced mobility.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
From the sound of it, you don't really want a Media Centre - the idea of this really is to be an all-in-one entertainment unit for movies, music, photos etc. The advantage of it are the PC operating system in the background, giving you all the flexibility of a PC, but with a nice fluffy front end so you can select your movie / song / photo album using a remote control as people are used to in the living room.
You don't really need (or indeed want) this, so definitely just a laptop / Mini Mac / Sony Vaio type thing under your TV with a wireless keyboard and mouse is all you really need.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

Of course, you could argue there is one additional step compared with using a proper Media Centre PC, but I guess that's where your extra £1,000 goes!ÿ

You can build or even buy one for a lot less than £1300!!!ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Show me a decent Media Centre PC you can buy for less than £1,000. Of course you can build one for less if you're knowledgeable in computers. I suspect I could of built my own flat for less than £130,000 - I don't have the skills though so it's not a valid argument (unless you're willing to basically give up a lot of your spare time to find out how).
Before I get flamed for this post, I'm in no way suggesting that building your own Media Centre PC is as complicated as building a house / flat. My point is, if you have absolutely no knowledge of PCs and have no interest in getting your hands that dirty, then it might as well be.

A

Anonymous

Extreme Tech have a pretty informative tutorial on building a Media Center PC at http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2187698,00.asp.

The only tricky part for some regaridng building you own PC might be installing the processor onto the motherboard, but I'm sure that any store that you purchased the components from would be more than willing to do this for you and the rest you can put togehter yourself.

bballtom

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I have built four PC's and I'm not just saying it, it's really easy. The first one was after a few months checking different web sites and researching. The main thing you need is motivation to do it, for me that was saving a lot of money, my dad and me built it on the kitchen table one weekend (he doesn't know anything about them but a second set of eyes helps) and within a few hours it was up and running.

Everything slots in one way be it the processor, ram, power cables and websites like overclockers and ebuyer will have the stuff to you quickly. Trust me you are not going to do it wrong and break something as long as you do your research first. PC world rely on people being worried about computers, that's how they make their money, I take on board the flat example.

Give it a go, I can assure you you won't be disappointed!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts