PS3 (slim) and DTS-HD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a PS3 slim connected to a Sony STR-DN1010 (via HDMI 1.4 if it helps). The PS3 is configured to send the audio via Bitstream.

There seems to be some strange happenings and I wonder if anyone can help.....?

If I play Bolt on Blu-ray which is coded in DTS-HD, the receiver shows that's it's DTS-HD MSTR - Brill!

If I play Clash of the Titans 3D Blu-ray (the german one) which is coded in DTS-HD, the receiver shows that it's just DTS, but not DTS-HD - Not Brill???

If I play Transformers - Revenge of the Fallen which is coded in DTS-HD, the receiver shows that it's DTS-HD MSTR - Brill!

To add confusion, if I play I Am Legend which is coded in Dolby TrueHD, the receiver shows Dolby Digitial, but not TrueHD - Wierd.

On all DVD's I've set the the audio options to be in HD (except Clash of the Titans as there's no menu for it).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It has been known for the audio soundtrack labelling on some Blu-ray discs to be wrong, so it's worth checking if the films in question are encoded in DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

A

Anonymous

Thanks both.

It's a wierd one, there's only 2 english options on Clash of the Titans.

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master and English Dolby Digital 5.1 and both work fine with audio options on the menu.

After looking on the info bar (the pop up one you can select on the PS3) it also says that it's not reading it in DTS-HD, just DTS.

If I pop Transformers back in, the info bar shows DTS-HS MA, so the issue is the PS3 and not the reciever....

A

Anonymous

Hmm, weird science eh!?

I'll just put it down to the disk as both the PS3 and the receiver are both saying DTS and not HD Master. Either that or there maybe a bug in the PS3.

Strangely enough, the 2 disks that I am having issues with are both non UK ones (I Am Legend is US and obvioulsy Clash of the Titans is German), however, that shouldn't make a bit of difference as they are both actually play, so it's not a region issue (although the German one would work anyway).

Liam19

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
CraigRogers:
Thanks both.

It's a wierd one, there's only 2 english options on Clash of the Titans.

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master and English Dolby Digital 5.1 and both work fine with audio options on the menu.

After looking on the info bar (the pop up one you can select on the PS3) it also says that it's not reading it in DTS-HD, just DTS.

If I pop Transformers back in, the info bar shows DTS-HS MA, so the issue is the PS3 and not the reciever....

Have you upgraded your PS3 to version 3.50 for 3D Blu-ray playback? Because if so, Sony have just announced that the PS3 won't do DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD and 3D at the same time. In other words, when you use the PS3 to play a 3D Blu-ray, you'll only be able to get the standard, lossy DTS or Dolby Digital codecs. This affects both LPCM and bitstream.

I realise, however, that this doesn't explain why you couldn't get HD audio from the 'I Am Legend' Blu-ray.

A

Anonymous

Ah!!!!!.......

Everything is explained......

I was just messing around with I Am Legend and guess what......the pop up menu has an audio option, but it's not in the main menu.....

That menu has the option to turn on TrueHD, so that's fixed that, so theres the issue.

Yes, the PS3 has 3.50 (released today) to play 3D, but wasn't aware of the "both at the same time" issue.

That really is a kick in the teeth for the PS3 isn't it, wonder if they'll fix it, or if it's a limitation of hardware.

More of a kick in the teeth for me if it doesn't get fixed. I already had a PS3 (fat) and opted for the PS3 slim instead of the 3D player with the bundle due to the fact that the bitstream issue was fixed which is now a bit irrelevant........DOH!

Thanks for the info!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
CraigRogers:That really is a kick in the teeth for the PS3 isn't it

I think that's a bit harsh - the PS3 is pretty much the same hardware as it was when it was first released in March 2007 (November 2006 in Japan and the US), hard disk size and bitstreaming HD audio aside. With firmware upgrades, it's been able to keep up with emerging technologies including 3D with this latest one - no other Blu-Ray player can claim that. With this in mind, it's been exceptional value for money (especially when you remember its foremost duty is as a games machine!).

A

Anonymous

Yes, it was a bit harsh on reflection.......

I actually still think it's a great bit of kit that has just grown over the years. Should of re-phrased it really, not so much a kick in the teeth for the PS3, it was more a kick in the teeth for me and perhaps others that might of taken the same route.!
emotion-1.gif

I wonder what is next on my shopping list?...
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS