PS3, Sky HD and Pioneer Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

Please help - I have just connected (via HDMI) my Sky HD to my pioneer plasma - think it is a 43 XDE, about 3 yrs old and i am being told my set 'does not support HDCP' - any ideas how i can resolve this or do i need a new monitor?!

So then I tried my PS3 via HDMI and that does not work at all on my Pioneer - just a blank screen. It works fine on my Sony 26 inch LCD (only a few months old).

Not having a good HD day!

Can anybody shed any light on either issue?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Really not sure. But on the PS3 issue I would reconnect to the sony and make sure (in 'display' settings) its selected as only LIMITED rgb and set the display (manually) to just standard. Perhaps that will work with the pioneer then? And youll be able to change display settings to at least 720p I would assume.......

Im thinking the main problem is its trying to display full 1080P but isnt actually able to on the Pioneer.

Having said that, are you using a fully compliant hdmi cable? If not then thats perhaps why your having problems (Swop it with the sony one to see what happens if your unsure)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that - tried it but no joy! Any other ideas? Anybody?!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Well

This might just be pointing out the obvious but yout tv has 2 hdmis. Now on MY Pioneer 427XD one of the hdmis needed me to go into the menu settings and select hdmi over component for it to work (Like an internal switcher between the 2) whilst the other hdmi is always on. Perhaps theres something in that?

A

Anonymous

i had problems getting the PS3 appearing on my 7th gen pioneer - i fixed it by lowering the PS3 output to 720. i was then able to set it back up to 1080i but once i selected 1080p all i got was a black screen.

still looks great on 1080i.

A

Anonymous

Thorny, I have been fiddling with my screen for the last day or so to fix an issue with a BD player (which I have now done).

I have a Pioneer PDP-436XDE which is about three years old, it's the one with the separate media unit and it too has two HDMIs (Inputs 3 and 4). Like aliEnRIK my screen has Input 4 permanently set to HDMI but Input 3 needs turning on in the menu screen.

Once on nothing else is needed as my screen copes with what is sent to it. My Sky+HD is on an older version HDMI cable (QED HDMI-P which isn't v1.3 but I think 1.1) and connected to Input 4 as 1080i, everything fine (in fact upscaled by the Pioneer to 1125i automatically).

Prior to my Pana BD50 I had a PS3 connected to Input 3 and set to output 1080p which again was handled correctly by the Pioneer, even upscaling it to 1125p which is what it does with my BD50 and Chord Silver Plus 1.3 HDMI cable.

I thought that HDCP was first supported by Pioneer's 6th Series of Plasma and not before (e.g PDP-436...) but there's an excellent Pioneer support site which you should register on and I'm sure that was one of the FAQs I was reading. At any rate they have helped with my aforementioned BD problem which is on another forum thread here at What HiFi?

Good luck in getting sorted.

A

Anonymous

pncook:Thorny, I have been fiddling with my screen for the last day or so to fix an issue with a BD player (which I have now done). I have a Pioneer PDP-436XDE which is about three years old, it's the one with the separate media unit and it too has two HDMIs (Inputs 3 and 4). Like aliEnRIK my screen has Input 4 permanently set to HDMI but Input 3 needs turning on in the menu screen. Once on nothing else is needed as my screen copes with what is sent to it. My Sky+HD is on an older version HDMI cable (QED HDMI-P which isn't v1.3 but I think 1.1) and connected to Input 4 as 1080i, everything fine (in fact upscaled by the Pioneer to 1125i automatically). Prior to my Pana BD50 I had a PS3 connected to Input 3 and set to output 1080p which again was handled correctly by the Pioneer, even upscaling it to 1125p which is what it does with my BD50 and Chord Silver Plus 1.3 HDMI cable. I thought that HDCP was first supported by Pioneer's 6th Series of Plasma and not before (e.g PDP-436...) but there's an excellent Pioneer support site which you should register on and I'm sure that was one of the FAQs I was reading. At any rate they have helped with my aforementioned BD problem which is on another forum thread here at What HiFi? Good luck in getting sorted.

pncook - thank you so much for your reply, I have actually just got off the phone with Pioneer who were genuinely very helpful - makes a lovely change from most 'customer service' people. My plasma is actually the previous gen to yours with one hdmi on input 3 which i have turned on.

The pioneer guy basically said this is a known issue with my tv and that the problem comes from the sky box and their content protection (HDCP) - this also then affects anything plugged into the HDMI port.

As a temp fix I can plug stuff in through component but he said to fill out the form on the website and someone will be in touch to arrange an engineer to come out with a new circuit board which would cure the problem - perfect!

A

Anonymous

Excellent resolution (not sorry about the pun!) to the problem. Pioneer are really very good when supporting my queries, even just technical pre-sales sometimes. Forgotten about the earlier Sky problem but it looks as though you're getting it sorted.

TRENDING THREADS