PS3 Replacement ideas

Teeza

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
I've recently lost a PS3 from my set-up and now need to replace the functionality (that I used) in the best way. The key functions I need are:

Catch-up TV services (all of them) {maybe youview}

Netflix

Ability to connext into wi-fi newtwork and stream media from any media server it finds (not sure if this means DNLA compliant) (Ethernet acceptable alternative)

720p output (only have an HD ready TV)

Nice to have but not necessary would be

Spotify

YouTube

Social Media

More freeview/internet channels (or maybe freesat - are there many more channels compared to freeview?)

Blue ray player (might use once a year)

PVR functions (but already have a PVR)

I didn't use the gaming functions at all so do not need to replace them.

From the research I've done so far there does not seem to be a one box solution (short of another gaming machine).

What works for you or what would you recommend?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, another PS3 would serve you best if it was everything you needed.

They are as cheap as chips now and do the job well.

Andy Madden

Staff member
Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi Teeza. I'd be inclined to go for another PS3 too. It's going to be tricky to find all the functionality you're after in one box. E.g. You View is a great option, and it does cover off a few of your requirements (catch-up TV, 720p, PVR, Netlflix) but as far as i'm aware you can't use it as a server...

Teeza

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies but I have to say that was the last response I expected.

That PS3 must have been 8 years old and yet it is still the best option!!!

Sony really did a good job then. MInd you the wi-fi was not useable it lost sync after about 10 mins - don't know if that is a general problem or just my particluar machine but I used a powerline to get 'round the problem.

Is this a wake-up call to box manufacturers or just a symptom of the way the competitive market has driven design?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts