PS3 Not Playing Discs

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Was watching a Blu-Ray last night when the picture just froze. I had to switch the console off then after it was switched on again it would not load Blu-Rays or DVDs and PS3 games. Did a quick search and other people with this problem say it is the disc drive that has failed.

How likely is this? Console hasn't seen much use. Light gaming and about 20 Blu-Rays over 3 years. Would the laser or drive just give up that suddenly?

Have seen replacement drives online for £50 odd. Seems poor quality control if fair numbers of consoles' drives are failing.

A

Anonymous

Things I would check..

1. It isn't in an enclosed space? The PS3 needs air, and can freeze when hot.

2. Do a system reset. Hold the button down for 10-15 seconds on bootup.

Try again. If not, then yep, the drive is probably dead.

Strange I have an original 60 GB and a 320 GB and never a hitch (apart from when I had the original in an enclosed cabinet).

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
I haven't read much into YLOD but would that affect the drive? There's plenty of faulty PS3s up on eBay. If YLOD didn't affect the drive then could I buy one of them and swap the drive into my PS3?

bearwolfblade

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
After 4 and a half years my fat ps3 suffered a YLOD. I took it to my local repair centre (not sony) it only cost a fixed price of 80 pounds to replace the blu-ray drive. Far better than buying second hand especially when you dont know the exact fault of the console. You could be buying a second ps3 with the same fault

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The PS3 has a diagnostic mode ( google for video or instructions how to access. I think you hold down 'on' button for three beeps while unit is off ) The PS3 may just have corrupt data sectors on the HDD. If this does not sort it a new laser module is required. I purchased one off ebay the fitting is not too tricky - search youtube for instructional video.

harveymt said:
Seems poor quality control if fair numbers of consoles' drives are failing.

I disagree that sony have poor quality control. I seem to remember reading it was less than 0.001% that suffered from this failure and thats a pretty good figure in manufacturing. Downside is that with Sony selling 55Million consoles approx. 50,000 will fail for the above. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi,

The problem is almost certainly the laser unit has died. Had this with mine a couple of weeks back where it refused to even acknowledge that a disc was in the drive. Fitted a new laser from eBay and it solved the problem. Try googling 'ps3 not reading discs' and there are plenty of posts listing the symptoms of a dead laser. Just to warn you if you fit a new laser yourself be careful when reassembling the drive as everything needs to be in the correct guide/position for it to work and not all the guides on YouTube etc tell you about this.

A

Anonymous

I remember this happening to my ps2 and a took off the case wiped the dvd lens with alcohol fluid and it was fine . Or does the blu ray drive work different? Maybe worth a try if not if out of warranty

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts