PS3 - I might now succumb!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have just read the news about the firmware for the PS3. I will not be interested in games whatsoever, but I have been looking for an extender for my pc and would like to go Bluray soon also. From what I can gather, an extender will set me back £125 and a decent Bluray player £500. If the PS3 does all this and I just have to get over it looks like a gaming machine(!), I might be won over. Just chewing over where I can hide it - I don't want it on my rack!

A

Anonymous

Dont buy a PS3 for its blu-ray player. It cant play the DTS HD sound track and I see a lot of the latest titles going DTS HD only. This means you will miss out on the HD sound experiance. Sony might be able to offer it as an update at some time but there's no gurantee...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't agree, it's still one of the best budget Blu-Ray players available - you'll find most of the players around this price are unable to decode or send DTS HD MA over PCM as well, so it's not unique in this. If you want to wait, I'm sure players will come with this option at this price, but if you're buying now, the PS3 should certainly not be ignored (especially given its recent BDLive update and the fact that DTS HD MA may still come to it via a firmware update).

A

Anonymous

ps3 is a top blu ray player, just sold mine as i now have a pioneer lx70a for dts ma over bitstream to my denon 4308. sorry, but can't ever see the ps3 doing dts ma however the new panny players do bitstream hd and are pretty cheap at a cuople of hundred quid

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="quasibongo"]ps3 is a top blu ray player, just sold mine as i now have a pioneer lx70a for dts ma over bitstream to my denon 4308. sorry, but can't ever see the ps3 doing dts ma however the new panny players do bitstream hd and are pretty cheap at a cuople of hundred quid[/quote]
Couple of hundred quid??
Where have you seen that? More like RRP of £350

A

Anonymous

you must stop thinking of the ps3 as just a bd player its a multi media centre well sort of with its hard drive you can store music pictures download previews of many things for free at the ps3 store and theres the games side of things even if you dont play games your kids will and if you do pic up grand turismo hd you wont put it down there is a reson its an award winner and a 5 star product its a bargin and for £299 you can get it with free movies and games and a free wireless hand set name another bd player that comes close for the money

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thing is I want a link from my pc to my AV receiver and stereo amp. This would allow me to play music and videos from my pc to my LCD and speakers. From what I've read the PS3 just gives you access to your pc's internet? I also want a Bluray player. I thought that the PS3 would be able to do both for me and I'm kind of glad it can't as they are so ugly. I will end up getting the Linksys media centre extender and probably Denon or Pioneer BDP.

A

Anonymous

much as i love what hi fi, i do wish they would stop saying every issue that a firmware update is due soon for dts hd on the ps3! i bought mine on the back of that about 8 months ago only to find that its probably never coming. and i dare say many others have too, Although in defence if sony told them this they cant be blamed but i do think it would be shrewd too remove firmware comments for now.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
The problem is that there is nothing out there that does everything in one box!
The PS3 has a very good BD player in it (at today's standards) but if it didn't I think the thing would be flat on it's a*se!
Why? Well because who gives much about the small hard disc that you can put music, video and pictures on?! I have a dedicated stereo for my music - which is linked to my pc upstairs via Apple Airport - which has way more space than the PS3's tiny hard disc. If I want to look at pictures on my tv (not often, certainly to warrant it as a reason for getting a PS3) I can take the SD card out of my camera and put it in the tv!
And what it was supposed to do - which is play games, it falls short (in most people's opinion) to both the Wii and (more certainly) the Xbox360.
Then you have this myth (or maybe not!?!) that it'll have HD audio!?
I'm sorry, I don't have an axe to grind over the PS3, honestly, but it just doesn't appear to excel fully in any area whatsoever! It's close - but no cigar!
the problem is there is nothing else that beats it hands down! For BD - the new panasonic seems to come up as close as anyone, and for games a 360 seems the way to go (if you're that way inclined). But that means forking out retail of £550 - compared to the PS3 of £300.

A

Anonymous

From what I can see 99% of the blu ray player out there today in some way either from bit stream or codec on board get DTS HD sound out to the wider world.

At this time the PS3 cannot period and Sony have given no idication if they will.

Now my experiance todate with a good TV and DVD player is that yes HD pics are great but for me the biggest jump ref the blu ray HD experiance has been to do with the great improvments in the new sound formats.

So if my experiance down the shops recently where a couple of new blu ray disks only have DTS HD is a pointer to the future then the PS3 will not be able to deliver the main stream HD sound and therefore cannot be stated as a good blu ray buy (even budget) it is flawed unlike most of the other players out there.

I totally agree that the PS3 for the money is a great bit of kit for all the other things it delivers but I beleive this magazine and others should stop saying its a great budget blu ray player as well and piont out the risk that until Sony make clarification on their intentions on DTS HD you run the risk of missing out on the HD sound experiance with a PS3.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fair enough, you disagree. Fact of the matter is, I think the PS3 is a a great budget Blu-Ray player which is available currently. Until this changes, I'll continue to recommend it, regardless of your opinion. It's not like I'm misinforming people on the DTS HD MA issue and I've never advised someone to buy something purely on my recommendation. That's all it is - what they decide is up to them.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Professor - I'm certainly not having a go at your recommendations - or that of WHFSV. I think the PS3 is a very tempting bit of kit - for lots of reasons. I just don't think it does anything brilliantly - just a lot of things well. The BD player is supposed to be great - but as above, and well documented, the HD sound (which is just a big a part as the picture) isn't there.
If I was in the market I would wait to get the Panasonic BD30 (when supply is uped and the inevitable price drops). I was lucky to get mine for £250, which is cheaper than a PS3, and will stream HD audio.
I currently don't have an amp to decode HD audio yet, but all in good time!!

A

Anonymous

I've got a PS3:

1. The uncompressed PCM audio is awesome ! Why the hang ups on the DTS HD format ? I don't undertsand as the uncompressed audio is miles better than DD & DTS !

2. It's now BD 2.0 compatible AND is set up to connect to t'internet.

3. The picture is far from poor. in fact with discs such as Die hard 4.0 is absolutely fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Ryelane yes uncompressed PCM is awsome no contest the James Bond movie that I got free when I registered with my PS3 online account again is awsome being that it has the uncompressed PCM track ... BUT for example I went to get master and commander ..fancied hearing thoese canon in HD sound but the only track on the disk was DTS HD....i.e. my PS3 will only give the old compressed DTS sound track in this case same as my DVD player of old not DTS HD. Im in Holland maybe the disks are different but in the shops I see a worring trend of a good few new titles only having DTS HD..... again if that continues and Sony dont move my PS3 will not deliver HD sound. Maybe it won't pan out that way but there is a risk and that risk should be noted for consumers...

Other budget blu ray player don't hold this risk.

So people should say PS3 great bit of kit for loads of tasks, blu ray player gives great pictures but cant play DTS HD at this time and currenlty unsure if it will ever. If you like the thought of playing near uncompressed sound tracks on all available blu ray titles and the blu ray function is the swing for the PS3 purchase think again and maybe go for a standalone budget player that is fully functional.

A

Anonymous

Proffesorhat,

If in a year Sony don't provide DTS HD or a way to output the bitstream and most titles go DTS HD which you have to agree is a possibility maybe not lickly but is possibile how would you feel seeing someone in the street who you advised to purchase a PS3 as a budget blu ray player who now cant get any HD sound out of it with new titles?

At least with the Sony BDP-S300 blu ray player what hi fi says incomplete specs let down this player so when recomending the PS3 as a budget blu ray player this kind of statement should be added at least to give a heads up don't you agree?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, I would feel fine about it to be honest. In my advice above, I've said the PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player (which it is) and noted that DTS HD MA may be enabled through an update in the future. I've also said above that in the future, some players may come out at the same price which offer this, but at this moment in time, it's a great budget player and should not be ignored. It's up to them if they buy it or not.

Don't get me wrong - I understand your point, all I'm saying is I don't think people should rule out buying a PS3 as Blu-Ray player just because it might not be able to play DTS HD MA at this moment in time. If people can wait, then, fine, wait for a budget player which is all singing and all dancing. But if you want to buy now, you should have a look at the PS3 and I think it's wrong to tell people to ignore it. If you really want DTS HD MA sound, then fair enough, it's not for you, but (believe it or not), not everyone is going to be bothered by this.

A

Anonymous

frOg - do you ever find problems with your 250 gig external drive? Mine sometimes seems to skip folders in my music library...

JF

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Since updating my PS3 FIRMWARE to 2.20 mine has started playing up causing occasional break-up on screen on both the main menu and when watching BD movies. Guess what Sony dont want to know offering no help at all blaming my cables/TV etc eventho there was no problem prior to the FIRMWARE update.
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

I had problems with an external hard drive usb powered but i took it back and swaped for a bigger mains powered hard drive now no problem and i agree withyou the ps3 is the best all round bit of kit as for the only hd audio on bd disks being dts hd in the future what a load of !?#@ almost all disks have multaple audio options and almost all bd disks have pcm i just wonder what excuse you will have when the ps3 gets the bitstream of hd audio if sony said to what hi fi its coming then its coming they would not lie about something like that.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]Some nonsense in this thread. The PS3 is possibly the best VFM piece of kit of this century so far.
[/quote]
For a man that quotes Plato in his sig, that's an interesting couple of sentances!
Where's the nonsense? I think everyone has quoted fact so far - hardly nonense!?
Secondly, whilst people have opinions on the PS3 (or anything for that matter) writing the first sentance, then following it up with the second - which is clearly your own opinion - does smack eversoslightly of contridiction!
You are of course entitled to your own opinion (you think and therefore you are!) and I can understand where you are coming from.
However, my original post suggested that whilst I think the PS3 is a good bit of kit it doesn't appear to excel in any area - my point being (and I'm frustrated at this) that you can't seem to buy an all in one solution that does everything - well. Part of your points above suggest you have to purchase additional equipment in order to get the best out of the machine, or wait for (hopefully) better/more games and HD audio - both of which are uncertain.
For your own purpose (and I apologise if I sound presumptuous) it would appear you've made the most out of the hardware. But a lot is made of the PS3's ability to play BD well - which it does - but I just don't think that's enough for what it is trying to offer.
This is of course my own opinion - people can read both mine (and others) on this thread as well as your own.

A

Anonymous

It has been confirmed by a Sony/BDA insider within the last couple of weeks that it is 100% guaranteed the PS3 will support DTS-HD MA in a forthcoming firmware update.

It will not be bitstreamed but decoded by the player and sent out as PCM.

Nothing has been announced officially, but you can put your house on PS3 DTS-HD MA support.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts