PS3 HDD corrupt.. help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone out there that can assist?

My 40GB PS3 is 2 and a half years old, had little use, and yesterday it 'rolled over' during a routine boot up, and seemingly is corrupt.

I've tried to rebuild the file system from the installion menu, but all i get is the 'wavy lines' start up screen with no home icons

The HDD has been out, had the dust blown out of it, but still no joy

Seems that the only way forward is a new HDD? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction, and is it easy to reformat/replace

Thanks in advance

audiowizard

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, sorry to hear about your PS3. I assume you have accessed the recovery menu, details of how to do this can be found here, if you havn't already done so.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/How-to-access-the-PlayStation-3-Recovery-Menu/m-p/39144801

Try all options possible first, then try doing a full system default.

If that doesnt work and you reckon you need a new hard drive, theres no need to panic, it's relatively straight forward, and they have become quite cheap. You can pick up a 500gb one for £49.99 now. All you do is replace the PS3 with the new drive, you may have to download the PS3 OS from the website and put it on a pen drive, before it can format your new hdd. It will explain it clearly on the tv though as to what to do.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks, and yes I have found the recovery menu

When trying to rebuild it gets to 14% and then stops... I'm thinking the HDD has had it (amazed really, maybe it is because I don't use it enough??!!)

Still have a fully functional PS1 (the 1st, original one) and that has never missed a beat in 14 years!

I'll google search for a HDD, but if anyone else has any experience of this, let me know!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yeah, best bet is to follow my thread bigboss has linked above, just ignore the sections on backing up the old one first obviously! In the first post, there are a couple of links to some suitable replacement drives, but it also details what you need to buy if you don't fancy those ones.

Hard disks unfortunately are fickle things and can go any time any where (hence why it's essential to always keep a recent backup of important documents) - the amount of use can vary so it won't be that you've used it too little or too much as to why it's gone, I know some hard drives that have lasted 10 years or more and others only 10 minutes or so (though you normally get some sort of warranty to cover you for a decent period of use).

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for this, and everyones help

My replacement 500GB HDD arrived this morning, and is currently installing OS 3.41 to my PS3

I ended up using a memory stick, as the PS3 would not read the CD - R, despite the fact it had been finalised, to install the OS

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts