PS3 hard drive upgrade

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey could anyone reccomend a link, amazon or otherwise, for a compatible ps3 hard drive. I'm not sure about all the different speeds etc. or what size works best but I would be looking for a 1tb drive.

Would the ps3 be able to run this without slowing down or anything? Also I have the 80gb model should it make a difference.

thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Funnily enough, I wrote such a guide many moons ago - clicky.

You won't get any slowdown as long as you choose one which is 5,400 RPM (or possibly 7,200 RPM, but I wouldn't get any faster than that as discussed in the guide).

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Great, the article written is 4 years old though... any updates since?

Could you reccomend a good reliable brand or model, a straight out good deal running atm?

I think 5400 rpm will suffice. I would be happy with 750gb, even 500gb (1tb = overkill lol). I hope prices are only around the £50 mark.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
vpacalypse said:
Great, the article written is 4 years old though... any updates since?

Nope, fraid not! But then I wouldn't have thought the process would have changed.

vpacalypse said:
Could you reccomend a good reliable brand or model, a straight out good deal running atm?

I think 5400 rpm will suffice. I would be happy with 750gb, even 500gb (1tb = overkill lol). I hope prices are only around the £50 mark.

There's a link to a 750 GB drive in the article that's £68.85. Other than that, I can't really recommend any as such, as it's been 4 years since I upgraded mine. In terms of brand, Western Digital are generally a good brand, but of course there's no guarantees with anything like this I'm afraid so if you're storing lots of data that's important on there, I'd recommend getting a similar size USB drive and using the PS3's backup facility.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts