PS3 connected to DAV-IS10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just got my DAV-IS10 and I am trying to connect it via an optical cable to my PS3 for Bluray playback. Sounds simple but I can't get any sound through the optical cable, I'm sure I'm just being stupid but any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You need to make sure you have the right output formats enabled for the optical connector in the Audio Output Settings menu. The optical feed will only handle Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, and the 44.1kHz and 48kHz PCM two-channel settings - ie not the higher-resolution formats.

Then, in the BD/DVD settings menu, go to BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital), and select Linear PCM, and you should be in business.

When playing Blu-ray discs, you may also need to make sure you're using the 'plain vanilla' Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1 soundtracks, not the HD versions.

A

Anonymous

As I thought, I was being stupid. I found the optical output settings in the PS3 menu and everything is working fine.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew, our posts crossed. Thanks for the ultra quick reply, great service.

Merry Christmas to everyone at WHS&V

Steve

A

Anonymous

Steve & Andrew,

I have the same configuration PS3 (80Gb with latest firmware) and IS10. Connections: Video through HDMI and audio through optical cable. Both PS3 audio settings and BD/DVD Settings are set according to your suggestion. But need your advice on this:

1. PS3 and IS10 can play back 5.1 (both from BD game (demo as well) and other DVD movies).

2. When play back BD movies e.g. The Patriot, Pixar Short Films Collection, Ratatouille, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, etc., IS10 will NOT produce 5.1 output. No surround sound output from two rear speakers. Yes, when I play back these movies I select plain 5.1 DTS - NOT HD version.

Am I missing something here? Can you help?

Thanks in advance.

Darwin

A

Anonymous

Hi Darwin,

Just got back home after being away for Christmas, looking forward to watching Pirates of the Caribbean 3 on Bluray and I have got the same problem. I am not sure if I didn't notice the problem before or if I had the IS10 sound field set to AFD multi, but now I dont get rear speaker sound when set to AFD Standard, did you figure out the problem?

Steve

A

Anonymous

OK, I've sorted it out by selecting bitstream in the BD audio output settings, but this seems to contradict the earlier advice from Andrew. Is this right or am I still not set up correctly?

Darwin, did you sort out your problem?

Steve

A

Anonymous

Sorry if that came across as a criticism Andrew, I wasn't being funny, I thought maybe I am still doing something wrong. Should I be able to get 5.1 using the linear PCM setting?

Steve

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No criticism inferred.

As far as I know, yes, but the way the two work together may mean Linear PCM doesn't deliver DTS, and bitstream does. What I meant was that whichever way gives you the surround you want is the one to use - in this case bitstream seems to be the way.

Just check you're getting some DTS indication on the DAV-IS10, and you're not just getting stereo Pro-Logic'ed into surround. There should be a DTS indicator in the bottom left of the front-panel display if all is well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts