PS2 + Picture Issues

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Here's hoping someone might know the reason for this and be able to explain.

I've recently decided to rig up my PS2 using the composite cables I have. I have audio going through an optical cable and of course, the video through the yellow composite AV cable, both of which are plugged into my receiver. When the yellow cable is plugged into my receiver, the inital boot screen is fine, but when the game starts the picture is all over the place, or sometimes the screen will go black. Both of the issues making game play impossible. Weirdly, DVDs work absolutely fine.

If I plug the yellow cable into my TV I experience no issue whatsoever. Any ideas why this does this? Ideally I'd like the cables going into the receiver.

Not sure if relevant but my TV is a Samsung UE55JS8500 and my receiver is a Pioneer SC-LX59

Tinman1952

Here's hoping someone might know the reason for this and be able to explain.

I've recently decided to rig up my PS2 using the composite cables I have. I have audio going through an optical cable and of course, the video through the yellow composite AV cable, both of which are plugged into my receiver. When the yellow cable is plugged into my receiver, the inital boot screen is fine, but when the game starts the picture is all over the place, or sometimes the screen will go black. Both of the issues making game play impossible. Weirdly, DVDs work absolutely fine.

If I plug the yellow cable into my TV I experience no issue whatsoever. Any ideas why this does this? Ideally I'd like the cables going into the receiver.

Not sure if relevant but my TV is a Samsung UE55JS8500 and my receiver is a Pioneer SC-LX59
Personally I would rather connect the PS2 directly to the TV to reduce latency…..audio will be fine as it is.

MrPenkwin

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Personally I would rather connect the PS2 directly to the TV to reduce latency…..audio will be fine as it is.

Visually that's annoying though (cables), and in theory, the picture should be the same whether plugged into the TV vs receiver. Am I missing something? Maybe a setting I may need to change? It's not something I've done before, everything up until now, where my receiver is concerned, has been HDMI cables.

Tinman1952

Visually that's annoying though (cables), and in theory, the picture should be the same whether plugged into the TV vs receiver. Am I missing something? Maybe a setting I may need to change? It's not something I've done before, everything up until now, where my receiver is concerned, has been HDMI cables.
Well the picture may be the same (except it doesn‘t appear to work currently…) but as I said the response time won’t as it’s having to go through the processing on the receiver and then to the TV. This will affect gameplay adversely.
Obviously your receiver/PS2 settings are not compatible…but no idea why. I haven’t used a composite cable for video for at least 15 years as the quality was so bad.

Reactions: MrPenkwin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts