Proud owner of JBL L890....any suggestions for amp?

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have just ordered, after a lot of research (to find them that is), the JBL L890 speakers..... I know that most of you, if not all, are not very familar with them...

They are dated, first production in 2006, however I am in love and within my budget (now!)... Got them for US1400 (all included-postage&duties). I do not know any other speakers in that price range that would satisfy me more....... Do you?

I would appreciate if, by your experience/knowledge and only, can suggest amps(integrated mostly), that can match these speakers which are easily driven (91dbs). Harman Kardon amps would most probably match, since its the same company, however I would like some more suggestions....

Into rock, modern and accoustic mainly spectrum and would like to spend not more that 1000 GBP.... but feel free to suggest even above this price range...

Is there an 'unwritten' rule that says that amps should be more expensive than speakers (x1.5 times at least) ?

Thanks guys

I have not hear these speakers but if they are as easy to drive as you say then you have quite a choice.

You do not say how big your listening room is, this would be helpful, and also where you are located in the world as some amps suggested may be difficult for you to source.

There is no unwritten rule - my speakers where way more expensive than my amp (if I'd purchased them new). :)

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Alears said:
I have not hear these speakers but if they are as easy to drive as you say then you have quite a choice.

You do not say how big your listening room is, this would be helpful, and also where you are located in the world as some amps suggested may be difficult for you to source.

There is no unwritten rule - my speakers where way more expensive than my amp (if I'd purchased them new). :)

Rooum is L6m by W4m by H3m....... Whatever the case I will need to import them as well since I live in CYPRUS and it has limited tonone choice? :(

L00k_C said:
Alears said:

Rooum is L6m by W4m by H3m....... Whatever the case I will need to import them as well since I live in CYPRUS and it has limited tonone choice? :(

In that case I would look at something from the likes of Creek.

I feel you will be better off with a 'smoother' amp rather than some of the 'brighter' Japanese well-knowns.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I am a big fan of the Studio 580 and were I lucky enough to have the space and a lack of neighbours I would have a pair with the biggest, baddest valve amplifier I could afford, something like an Icon Audio Stereo 60 would get it done.

I think something similar would do the job with your choice of speakers, depends what is available/obtainable in your neck of the woods. Don't forget to allocate some funds to update your a/c if you are going down the valve route.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts