Projector - 2d (with a smidge of 3d on the side). Max £1500 or so

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, considering the step up to projector territory. 3D doesn't particularly float my boat but I reckon I probably want the option, while 2d picture quality is the most important feature. Budget is around 1600 max, though less is more if you know what I mean! Minimal noise would be a plus, as my space is not big enough to be able to have the projector much removed from the viewing position.

Anyhow, suggestions on a postcard as usual!

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Epson 6000 is really the only unit that covers your requirements. I would try to get a demonstration though. If 3D is not really what you are after you will get far bigger gains moving to the Epson 4400. Both units are quiet.

nads

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The Epson TW6000 will be worth looking at. Good 3D performance, and being an LCD projector, is quieter than many other alternatives, particularly DLP projectors.

Guys so would you put the TW6000 as about the best 3D for the price?

As it is what I have been looking at as the Pio gen8 Tv will have to go due to relocation and smaller digs.

I have upgraded my PC monitor to a Samsung 3D with built in tuner which I am happy with but still want a "Big" screen disc spinner is a Panna 310.

Thoughts?

rendu

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
These new Epson proyectors are really huge. I am also looking for good projector without the rainbow effect around 1000 Eur and I am going crazy because the ones which are a little bit better are too big more than 40cm and I need something 30 cm max.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Frank Harvey / Home Cinema Centre

How do you find the Epson compares to HD33.

Would be really interested in brightness (is Epson too bright?), 3D, and especially placement.
Is it true that the Epson has to be level with the screen so as to avoid using keystone?

Wanted an Epson but wondered about these points.

Thanks

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We dont supply Optoma so cant really comment on the comparison. The Epson is really good though, nice and bright, quiet and a surprisingly good image for the money. It is amazing how much performance you can get for such a low price this year. Lens shift is an issue though so if you can't get the unit in a good spot keystone is your only option.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi Son of SJ, If i had a room suited to a 60 inch TV i would have one. Especially considering the price of the big screen Panny's and Sammy's. However our main room is nearly 6 metres long and only 2.8-3.0 metres wide. Due to door access etc the only place for a tv is the front left corner next to the radiator. So i use a 42 inch with a PJ as a bonus. Using a 77" screen as any bigger then the screen would hit the top of the TV. Shame none of the new lower priced 3D PJ's have long throw lenses or the option to upgrade as i would much rather place on stand at rear behind settee has i do with my current Panny. No rush now anyway, my PS3 that i was using downstairs has YLOD again and that was to be my 3D player/gamer of choice. Got some more stuff to shift on ebay yet so hopefully it won't be too long before i can place an order.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Hello there pba_target,

I hesitate very much before saying this, and I DON'T want to upset the two dealers who have replied to this thread (in particular the one who sold me at least a third by value of all my home cinema stuff, including the two Pioneers!) but please just make sure that whatever projector you actually buy gives a picture on your projector screen that is as sharp IN YOUR ROOM as you hope/expect. I say this because I haven't been to the commercial cinema much over the past year, only four times, but on only one of those four times did I think that the picture quality, in the commercial cinema, was decent. That was for the film "The Devil's Double". However, the projectors/film quality used in my local commercial cinemas to show "Somewhere", "The skin I live in" and "Justice" were simply not as sharp or as colourful as I see when I play Blu-Rays or even just DVDs on even my (not even full HD) 42" Pioneer. Maybe three of the four projectors were old or not properly calibrated or something. How big a projector screen do you intend to buy? Are you absolutely set on getting a projector, rather than a television? Your £1,600 would buy a 59" Samsung plasma, a 60" LG plasma or a 60" Sharp LED TV, the first two also offering 3D ......

I do realise that I will now be shot down in flames.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts