Project Genie cartridge options

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having recently downgraded from an LP12 to new Project Genie, I am wondering about cartridge choices. I am very happy with the sound quality I get, particularly as vinyl is a very much occasional source, but what surprises me is the way record noise gets through compared to the LP12, particularly clicks and pops. As such I wonder if an upgrade of cartridge would help. I would consider up to £50, or would more be wise? Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Also, can anyone advise how to balance the arm as there seems little or no tonearm weight adjustment other than what appears to be a small grub screw, is that it?

A

Anonymous

Fist of all, welcome to the WHFS&V forums!

Now, I would help you, however I'm having a bit of a "hi-fi desperation" moment over on another thread and it is regarding turntables, so I'm probably not the most knowledgable (or enthusiastic) person at the moment. However, what I can tell you, is that spending more than £50-£60 on a cartridge is little point on a Project Genie due to the low-quality tonearm, motor etc. However, a £50 WILL make a difference to the sound - I would go for the ORTOFON 2M RED MOVING MAGNET CARTRIDGE (which is £60 in Superfi...already blown the budget! lol).

Oh, and how does the Genie compare with the LP12? I want an LP12 so badly off ebay - probably one from late 70s!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I bought the deck from Superfi. The guy in the shop bought my LP12 so maybe they can help me out. There is no doubt the LP12 is way more refined and cultured than the Genie. But when I did a back to back demo in the shop, the Genie astonished me. I figured I could do without what the LP12 gave me and used the £500 I raised to put towards a better cinema system. Hence it all worked for me with my priorities, however some, I am sure would slate me for the move.

I bought mine used, it was a minter for £500. I then had it serviced for £125 by a main dealer. I would strongly advise you to do this if you buy secondhand. One of the springs wasn't connected on mine! The difference in sound was markedly improved.

A

Anonymous

Not a bad deal getting that much for it in Superfi! I have a sort of sentimental attachment to things which is becoming rather annoying, as I have a '84 JVC A-X400 at the end of my bed, and a '79 JVC A-X5 somewhere beneath stacks of records and CDs...I can't bring myself to sell them!

A

Anonymous

Just checked the original cartridge it is an OMB 3E. Would the 95e be a big improvement. I often find that at the lower end of things, improvements per pound can be huge. £22 would be a safe buy I guess.

Regards sentimental value, the LP12 comes with crate loads of that! That was what almost stopped me selling it. They soon become a special friend! I can't ever see me becoming attached to the Genie in the same way.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the help. I will give the AT 95E a go. Can anyone help regards setting arm balance and downforce. The manual is pretty useless and I am not keen to try and work it out for myself. As said before, I have a balance for the downforce, just don't know how to adjust the counterweight.

Just giving Back in Black a blast. This thing has no right to sound the way it does, even with the cartridge as supplied!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="dosthilldave"]Just giving Back in Black a blast. This thing has no right to sound the way it does[/quote]

It's a certain ex-Mr.Shania Twain's production job that seems to make AC/DC sound so up front and full of life. Side Two's my favourite. Just played Nick Cave's The Good Son & Queen's The Game albums and they both send a similarly direct sonic thrill through one's winter-raddled bones. That'll be the warmth of vinyl then.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Charlie Jefferson"][quote user="dosthilldave"]Just giving Back in Black a blast. This thing has no right to sound the way it does[/quote]

It's a certain ex-Mr.Shania Twain's production job that seems to make AC/DC sound so up front and full of life. Side Two's my favourite. Just played Nick Cave's The Good Son & Queen's The Game albums and they both send a similarly direct sonic thrill through one's winter-raddled bones. That'll be the warmth of vinyl then.[/quote]

A night at the Opera for me everytime!

John Duncan

[quote user="dosthilldave"]
Thanks for the help. I will give the AT 95E a go. Can anyone help regards setting arm balance and downforce. The manual is pretty useless and I am not keen to try and work it out for myself. As said before, I have a balance for the downforce, just don't know how to adjust the counterweight.

Just giving Back in Black a blast. This thing has no right to sound the way it does, even with the cartridge as supplied!
[/quote]

Well if you have a balance, you don't need to faff around - put the stylus on the balance and turn the counterweight until the scales say 2g (or whatever is recommended for your particular cartridge, 2g is probably about right). As for the antiskate, you only have three options, and off the top of my head the middle one is about right - the manual should tell you which notch is which. Is bl--dy fiddly though.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="dosthilldave"]

[/quote]

The manual is basic as we were trying to keep things as simple as possible. The following link has an item covering the use of a stylus balance for those wishing to fiddle.

http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/content.asp?ContentID=118

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
never under estimate the the setting up process of a cartridge, here goes. adjust your counterweight at the back of your tonearm until it's about 1mm above a record, use an old one. you should use a record on the platter to check levelness. set the bias adjustment to zero. the tonearm should be floating just above the record. set the weight to zero on the marker arm tube. ok now you have zero force. set your weight by turning your dial to 1.7 gms and the bias to the same setting, this will depend on your cartridge setting but is about right for most cartridges. go higher on the recommended level, to many people believe a lower force is better. it's not the cartridge will not track properly. give it 20 to 30 hours to bed in then enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts