Project Debut III (new) or Technics 1200 MK5 (used)?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

About to get my first TT in a long time and am on a tight budget. I have narrowed it down to a brand new Project Debut or a used, though not very muchl, in great condition, Technics 1200 MK5 for a similar price. What would people recommend? I seem to be reading conflicting things. Some people say go for the Project Debut as the it will sound better as the Tecknics is a 'DJ' turntable and not a 'audiophile' turntable. Others say the opposite and say a good Technics 1200 outperforms pretty much any entry level audiophile turntable. The other issue I guess in one is brand new and the other is used.

I'm leaning towards the Technics, I've used them before and like their robustness and the fact you can change speed at a touch of a button but would still prefer to go for the one that will sound best.

Thanks

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hey I am no expert but I have both so I am just going to give you my personal opinion. I got my first Technics over 25 years ago for DJ use in mind and nothing else & yes it it a great deck & yes you can modify the deck to take it another level however for just listening back to your vinyl and nothing else I prefer the Project myself. I also personally believe belt drive Turntables sound better. If I was not into the DJ thing Technics would,t be the deck I would buy.

A

Anonymous

the technics is a lot better that the project which is a strictly budget turntable that i find too noisy

if you can run to a rega then that would be a far better choice than the project

A

Anonymous

Think the Technics is what I'm going to go for. Just need a Phono preamp now, anyone got any suggestions on these?

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I took a punt on a cambridge 540 for £50 and it sounded better than my Roksan kandy phono inputs. Oh yeah ive got a technics by the way.