Project debut carbon dc ground hum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Well a cable showed up today. Though to my disbelief it was the cheapest looking unshielded RCA cable and didn't even have a earth wire. When I called them they told me they had found it in the office and thought it was the right type of cable. Absolutely fuming this is supposed to be a hifi shop. They are going to send out the right cable but won't be here till the earliest Tuesday.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Well a cable showed up today. Though to my disbelief it was the cheapest looking unshielded RCA cable and didn't even have a earth wire. When I called them they told me they had found it in the office and thought it was the right type of cable. Absolutely fuming this is supposed to be a hifi shop. They are going to send out the right cable but won't be here till the earliest Tuesday.

Just buy a nice $10-$15 shielded interconnect online or in a nearby electronics or computer store. There's no special gramophone cable. It's the same one you use for a CD or whatever.

emcc_3 said:

It may be cheap but try it anyway to see if it resolves problem. If it doesn't the other cable probably won't either......

The fact it doesn't have an earth wire may be a good thing... ;-)

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Well randomly, after spending half an hour trying to use the RCA cable without earth, along with a piece of speaker cable as a Ground, I went back to the old RCA and it now grounds!!! No more hum and all I get is the usual white noise you would expect from a turntable when jacked up.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Whew!
regular_smile.png

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Does the hum vary if you lift the tonearm and move it back and forth across the platter when nothing is playing ?

The Debut Carbon DC uses a wall wart and is double insulated, so no earth on the wall wart.

Where about's on this hallowed isle are you located. I would recommend getting it back to us as this is unacceptable for a new out of the box TT.

brownz said:
Does the hum vary if you lift the tonearm and move it back and forth across the platter when nothing is playing ?

The Debut Carbon DC uses a wall wart and is double insulated, so no earth on the wall wart.

Where about's on this hallowed isle are you located. I would recommend getting it back to us as this is unacceptable for a new out of the box TT.

Quite so, although we are still looking at this being a dodgey TT when it may not be. I had the same problem with my deck owing to it's multiple internal earth wires. There was nothing intrinsically wrong with the turntable. With that and earths on my phono preamp, preamp, and power amp something had to be removed. It was and I have had no problems since.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Spoke to richer sounds today and given the issues I have had they are giving me a full refund and some vouchers to make up for it. Can't fault them on the customer service side.

So now in the market for a new TT, though won't be a project unfortunately.

Looking at rega planar 3, any others I should look at?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
emcc_3 said:
Spoke to richer sounds today and given the issues I have had they are giving me a full refund and some vouchers to make up for it. Can't fault them on the customer service side.

LMAO *lol*

emcc_3 said:

Confused now. Have you confirmed turntable was at fault or not? Are you still going to get a hum whichever turntable you fit?

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
It's definitely the turntable. Same issue on two amps at different ends of the house. My friend brought around his sony turntable and no hum. Also if you Google hum along with the model this is a very common issue.

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear that matey, I tried. But I failed.

Some setups are overly sensitive to grounding issues (I know mine is), and if it's what I think it is, a 10 minute fix would have it sorted.

Have your stripped it down yet ? If you're within striking distance of OX11 I'd be happy to pay a visit at the weekend and take a look ?

Also, did you try the tip of removing the motor mounting screws and the sorbathane blobs and running with just the motor suspension ?

Regards - Dave.B

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Sorry up in Lancashire so not near OX11. Thanks for the offer though and I appreciate your willingness to help.

With regards the motor screws didn't want to mess with them in case it invalidated any warranty. Though have read online that this approach can remove hum in this model.

Personally I think a buyer shouldn't have to tinker with a brand new item to get it to work. Which is ultimately why I asked for the refund.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Have returned the project for a full refund this morning. Picked up a rega planar 3 from audio T, who gave me £25 off as well :-D

Set up at home already. Not an iota of buzz even when the volume is cranked to full. Right out of the box this sounds quite a lot better than the debut with a lot less surface noise on my original pressing of Abraxas. Sounds almost like a new record.

emcc_3 said:
Have returned the project for a full refund this morning. Picked up a rega planar 3 from audio T, who gave me £25 off as well :-D

Set up at home already. Not an iota of buzz even when the volume is cranked to full. Right out of the box this sounds quite a lot better than the debut with a lot less surface noise on my original pressing of Abraxas. Sounds almost like a new record.

thumbs_up.png

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I'm over the moon especially with all the hassle I had with the two projects. Though cannot fault richer sounds as they tried to sort with the replacement and gave me a full refund when the second one also had issues. The guys at audio T Preston set it up for me at the store and used a tracking force scale. They were really helpful.

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
All academic now as I have replaced it with the rega, which is quiet as a mouse.

Had tried my chord cobra RCAs and the hum was still there and audible.

Obvs I have been quite unlucky with the two decks I have had from them, but think it is the way project earth their tables that leave the lower end models open to these issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts