Project Debut 3 sounding almost as good as Linn

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Ever since I sold my Linn/Rega RB251/Geddon/2M Red combo I've been having these withdrawal symptoms and a tremendous feeling of emptiness in my life. Not being able to go on like this any longer, I started looking around for another Linn. Easier said than done in my neck of the woods. My dealer took pity on me and offered to loan me a Project Debut 3 with the standard Ortofon cartridge. Not expecting too much I just plonked it onto my hi-fi stand previously occupied by the Linn, levelled it out and put on a Shelby Lynne disk. What a pleasant surprise, it just sounded so good. I couldn't believe that such a cheap and basic deck could sound almost as good as the Linn I had previously. There was a faint hum only discernable between tracks and the background didn't have that inky black silence of the very best decks, but it was very good nontheless. Am I imagining this or has my hearing gone wonky? Can such a cheap deck really compete with a legend? Anybody else had this kind of experience?

Paul.

That's interesting to hear. I used to have a Project RPM9, Goldring Elite cart and a phonobox se phono stage. I sold it all on as I got fed up with the constant fettling and desire to spend more on bits. I would like another TT as I have some great records, but I don't want to get 'the sickness' again. I am curious how close a cheap project can get.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Give it a try Paul, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. To think of all the hours and money I spent wasted on setting up and fine tuning the Linn. Here's a deck you just take out the box install the couple of bits and pieces, check tracking weight and it's ready to go. No fidgeting and fettling, just sit back and enjoy the music. Sometimes I think we spend far too much time fussing and fretting over setting up and upgrades than actually listening to music.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I remember buying a Debut III a few years ago for my dad as a present. Naturally I had to test it first ;) I thought it was a brilliant deck. If I didn't have my Thorens, I'd buy another. I'm not interested in a deck which takes hours to set up and where you're always saying 'Hmm what happens if I try this, that or the other'.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Why did you sell in the first place?

Not really sure why, maybe just got tired of jumping up and down to turn the disk over or I just had one of those mad moments which made it seem like a good idea at the time. Whatever the reason, I've regretted it ever since |(

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
All you lot with anti-HiFi wives...if HiFi is so important for you, do you not run some kind of 'lifestyle compatability test' before you pop the question? Or are you at the time so love-struck/lust-struck that you never even think of checking that your future passion is going to be mutually compatable with your current one. Personally I think anyone who finds the TD147 'cumbersome' and so won't let you use it needs to re-prioritize their concerns, and that's putting it as mildly as I am able. Also you need to be more of a man and less of a mouse lol.

Paul.

MajorFubar said:
All you lot with anti-HiFi wives...if HiFi is so important for you, do you not run some kind of 'lifestyle compatability test' before you pop the question? Or are you at the time so love-struck/lust-struck that you never even think of checking that your future passion is going to be mutually compatable with your current one. Personally I think anyone who finds the TD147 'cumbersome' and so won't let you use it needs to re-prioritize their concerns, and that's putting it as mildly as I am able. Also you need to be more of a man and less of a mouse lol.

Here was my test:

Step 1 - Hose down filthy mountain bike in the bath

Step 2 - Get caught

Does she A: Stab you. Proceed quickly to death.

Or B: Get annoyed but ultimately not do anything.

I'm not dead! Guess that makes us compatible.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Which Linn turntable was it that you sold? They ranged from just over £200 up to several thousand.

Hi David

My Linn was a vintage mid 80's model fully serviced and brought up to spec. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Rega arm I had wasn't a particularly good match with the Linn.

camcroft

MajorFubar said:

I had the turntable a long time before I got remarried.When I bought my previous system it comprised of an amp,cdp and speakers I then upgraded to my present system now with the turntable and they are in a small room.I must state for the record that I have a large av system in the lounge and being considerate ( there are two people living in the house ) I am not out to take over the whole bloody house! is that what you have done

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sabby said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Which Linn turntable was it that you sold? They ranged from just over £200 up to several thousand.

Hi David

My Linn was a vintage mid 80's model fully serviced and brought up to spec. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Rega arm I had wasn't a particularly good match with the Linn.

Definitely not! In my opinion anyway - it wasn't unusual back then.

camcroft

Hi.I have recently bought a Project Debut 111SB.I got down my Thorens TD147 from the loft which I have had for years it has cracks next to each hinge and surface scratches on the top. I plugged it in after years of hibernating and it works perfectly beside its cosmetic appearence.My wife did not approve of its cumbersome looks and said it would have to go,so off it went back into hibernation.I read a lot about the Project tt`s and got mine 2nd hand off ebay its in perfect condition it has the Ortofon 5E fitted I was wondering if the Nagaoka MP11 that I have fitted to the Thorens would sound as good as the Ortofon or would I be better just leaving it as it is.Thanks in advance

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
camcroft said:
I am not out to take over the whole bloody house! is that what you have done
No but if my SWMBO ever complained about my HiFi (which she won't) I'd soon point her in the direction of her 500 thimbles (yes you read that right) in wall-racks on the dining-room walls. Like you say, it's all about give and take. :)

BTW, don't take what I said personally ;). It's just that there seems to be one thread a fortnight which starts something like "please recommend me a new TT/speakers/amp/CDP etc because my new GF/wife hates the look of them" and I'm always sat there thinking to myself, "didn't you both discuss in advance the fact that the HiFi comes with you as part of the package?" lol.

iMark

My partner has even started buying LPs since I unboxed hundreds of inherited LPs. We have just bought a new record player, a Pro-Ject with automatic switch off and a 33/45 switch. Great fun.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts