Project debut 3, can i change the interconnect cables that came fitted?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, i wasnt expecting this turntable to come with any kind of connection cable but it has the leads hanging out of it to connect it up to a phone pre-amp or amp, can i change these cables or are they a good qaulity that should do the job nice I have a spare chord crimson plus that i could change it to if i can?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just plug in what it came with and enjoy it.

The things you really need to worry about are correct cartridge alignment, tracking weight and a perfectly level, rigid and vibration free support.

These will have far more bearing on the performance.

(Plus changing 'captive' cables involves soldering and will invalidate your warranty if the deck is new.)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Greenwich_Man:I find this a little odd, because my old Debut 2 had hardwired interconnects. But my Debut 3 USB came without them, and I plugged in my own.

You should have had an interconnect with integrated ground cable with that Debut 3 USB turntable.That's what came with mine.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:

Greenwich_Man:I find this a little odd, because my old Debut 2 had hardwired interconnects. But my Debut 3 USB came without them, and I plugged in my own.

You should have had an interconnect with integrated ground cable with that Debut 3 USB turntable.That's what came with mine.

So do you think these cable's that came with the TT are of good qaulity? Im not to fussed about leaving them on.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If your TT cables are easily swapped (normal sockets rather than soldered on) then give it a go.

If it involves soldering (and your deck is new) then (a) do you have the the necessary soldering skills? (b) you will invalidate your warranty.

There seems to be some debate about whether the Project Debut 3 signal lead is 'user replaceable' or 'captive' as standard.

I don't know because I have never seen a Project deck.

scene

I've got a Project Debut 2 and it's definitely got a soldered on cable. The Debut 3 manual has this in it: "The record player has a captive tonearm signal lead (14) for connection to the amplifier" - so that's pretty conclusive that it's a soldered in lead on the Debut 3 as well...

EDIT: However the Debut 3 USB does have a phono socket (and USB out), so you can use your own leads.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I do not know which manual you are looking at but the Debut III USB has 2 female gold plated connectors and usb connection -see 14 on the diagram and the paragraph titled Connection to the Amplifier

Edit- now I see which manual you are looking at Scene- curious that they should be different.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy:
I do not know which manual you are looking at but the Debut III has 2 female gold plated connectors and usb connection -see 14 on the diagram and the paragraph titled Connection to the Amplifier

There are three versions of the Project Debut 3 - the original, the USB, and the Elite. Only the USB has the Phono connectors and USB port. The original and Elite have a hardwired pair of phono leads, like their forerunner the Debut 2.

Having said that, their was a Debut II SE that had phono sockets...

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Just got this from Adam Thompson at Henley

"The USB version of the Debut does not have
captive interconnects unlike the standard version. I suspect the people on the
What Hi-Fi forum are referring to the non USB versions of the Debut.

Richer Sounds are one of our biggest
dealers and I can re-assure you that the product will be 100% genuine."

scene

Greenwich_Man:
Just got this from Adam Thompson at Henley

"The USB version of the Debut does not have
captive interconnects unlike the standard version. I suspect the people on the
What Hi-Fi forum are referring to the non USB versions of the Debut.

Richer Sounds are one of our biggest
dealers and I can re-assure you that the product will be 100% genuine."

This is pretty much what I was saying above - Pro-ject Audio do have a habit of producing slightly different versions of their kit. And for the USB, I suppose it made sense, as a lot of people would be buying it to plug in via usb cable, so having an unnecessary pair of phono leads hanging around the back (which might short out) would be a pain.

scene

Ravey Gravey Davy:
I do not know which manual you are looking at but the Debut III USB has 2 female gold plated connectors and usb connection -see 14 on the diagram and the paragraph titled Connection to the Amplifier

Edit- now I see which manual you are looking at Scene- curious that they should be different.

Don't worry
emotion-5.gif

As per my other post on the thread, this is a bit of a habit of Pro-ject Audio. The phono sockets on the USB version make sense, and they even did an "SE" version of the Debut 2 with plugs and upgraded cartridge, for those people who wanted a slightly enhanced version of the Debut...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts