Prog rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Duncan

Some random thoughts leading on from the previous thread.

Rush definitiely were prog rock, and became, er, progressively more so from Caress of Steel to Hemispheres, I'd say. Then they did Permanent Waves and stopped being anything other than Rush, as they have done since. This was a good thing up to Hold Your Fire, but stopped being so at Presto (agreed, char_lotte) and they haven't piqued my curiosity much since, other than perhaps with Counterparts. I saw them on the Time Machine tour a couple of years ago and whilst their 1976-1988 period stuff (inc. ...Pictures in its entirety) was magnificent, the rest just bored me, so I suspect that'll be the last time (of about 6) that I'll go see them. Grace Under Pressure doesn't quite match MP for me, but I remember when it was released - as always, the first track on the Friday Rock Show (with Tommy Vance) would be from the most 'important' new album that week, and he started with "a track from the brand new album by...RUSH" [PRESS RECORD AND PLAY AT SAME TIME]. That was Afterimage, which is still one of my favourite ever songs (play it at my funeral please). One of the defining moments of my musical life, tbh.

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I find it difficult to rate almost any prog rock album against the Rush collection from 'Fly By Night' to 'Grace Under Pressure' (personal preference of course)

Other albums I rate are, Can - Tago Mago and Frank Zappa - Freak Out

John Duncan

Supreme said:
I find it difficult to rate almost any prog rock album against the Rush collection from 'Fly By Night' to 'Grace Under Pressure'

Try Two For The Show by Kansas, who supported Rush on their British tour in 1979, and then didn't come back until 2005, where they played basically the same set. I cried.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King probably the best of the early Prog Rock albums and still regarded by some as the best ever.

Others: Yes - Close to the Edge and Fragile.

Genesis: Nursey Crime, Selling England and Lamb Lies Down..

ELP: ELP, Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery.

Pink Floyd: Umma Gumma, DSOTM.

Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick, Aqualung.

John Duncan

90125 is an odd album. I still think of it as progressive, since it's quite challenging, but certainly not as challenging as, say, ...Topographic Oceans. It's like Trevor Horn's idea of what a Yes album might sound like with a better guitarist. Love it. I can see how people who like Yes wouldn't like it though. Sadly, Big Generator was a big let-down after that.

As for Marillion, I still don't really get on with Fugazi. Script..., in all its naivety, was so complete for me that I just thought Fugazi was a bit disjointed, and Misplaced Childhood probably beats it for me because it works better as a whole. Still love Punch and Judy though :) And oddly (and quite heretically, I suppose), their finest two moments are, for me, on Season's End - King of Sunset Town and Easter still blow me away.

John Duncan

BigH said:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King probably the best of the early Prog Rock albums and still regarded by some as the best ever.Others: Yes - Close to the Edge and Fragile.Genesis: Nursey Crime, Selling England and Lamb Lies Down..ELP: ELP, Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery.Pink Floyd: Umma Gumma, DSOTM.Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick, Aqualung.
BigH said:

Broadsword... for me. Genius.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Worst one I ever saw (live at the local student's union, but only for the 5 minutes it took me to struggle my way outside from between the packed hippies)...

... The Enid.

char_lotte

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I've never considered myself a fan of prog rock...a fear of capes and faeries probably. Having said that tho.....looking at some of my cd's...Sky, Magnum "On a Storytellers Night", Rush, Marillion, Tubular Bells , Jethro Tull ...

I may have to indroduce myself "Hello , I'm Charlotte and I'm a fan of Prog....."

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BigH said:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King probably the best of the early Prog Rock albums and still regarded by some as the best ever.Others: Yes - Close to the Edge and Fragile.Genesis: Nursey Crime, Selling England and Lamb Lies Down..ELP: ELP, Tarkus and Brain Salad Surgery.Pink Floyd: Umma Gumma, DSOTM.Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick, Aqualung.
BigH said:

Not for me all downhill after Minstrel in the Gallery.

salparadise

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I have recently been put onto Van Der Graff Generator. Initially I wasn't really feeling the two albums (Still Life and Godbluff) but after two or three listens something clicked.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BigH said:
BigH said:

+ 1 love that album

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Besides the Rush and Hendrix I don't own any other rock albums. The old vinyl collection is long gone and the only thing I miss occasionally is a bit of Bon Scott...

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Supreme said:
Besides the Rush and Hendrix I don't own any other rock albums. The old vinyl collection is long gone and the only thing I miss occasionally is a bit of Bon Scott...
Not AC/DC I love a bit of AC/DC a couple of other bands to listen out for Airbourne I saw them at Download this year very good live and an Irsh Band Called the Answer

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite fond of Colleseum's Valentyne Suite, and also Roxy Music's debut album.

I was more a Progressive Rock fan (ie Groundhogs, Wishbone Ash, Man etc.), rather than Prog, Two distinct genres IMO.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Supreme said:
I find it difficult to rate almost any prog rock album against the Rush collection from 'Fly By Night' to 'Grace Under Pressure' (personal preference of course)

Other albums I rate are, Can - Tago Mago and Frank Zappa - Freak Out

There's a quote attributed to Holger Czukay of Can, which went something like "The reason some guitarist play so many notes, is because they don't know which one to play".

Can are most definitely not Prog.

brandmartyr

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Outside of the Prog 1.0 acts of the 70s, I think the modern progressive scene has some enormous talent and classic albums spewing out from it right now:

Porcupine Tree over recent years and certainly this year's solo effort by their lead Steve Wilson 'The Raven That Refused To Sing'

Norwegian band Gazpacho with their Trilogy of Night, Tick Tock and Missa Atropos, followed by March of Ghosts last year

Bruce Soord's Yeovil based The Pineapple Thief growing from strength to strength

Marillion continue to release powerful albums, the latest Sounds That Can't be Made a real return to form

Neal Morse (Spock's Beard) continues to float around between hybrid bands featuring members of various Prog powerhouses including Rush - Transatlantic, Flying Colours and of course his solo stuff.

All in all, a very progtastic last few years and plenty more to come hopefully.

Cheers

m

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts