Prog rock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
John Duncan said:
That's not the prog rock band.

This is the prog rock band (without me in it, video hadn't been invented then).

I know waxed isn't. When you linked a single (can't remeber the title) Mrs. P and I really liked it and you seemed to sidestep any compliments. But I knew that there was more to your music history than Waxed.

Are you guys still giggin'?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
salparadise said:
I have recently been put onto Van Der Graff Generator. Initially I wasn't really feeling the two albums (Still Life and Godbluff) but after two or three listens something clicked.
Two wonderful albums ( I don't have this forum name for nothing...). I can also heartily recommend Pawn Hearts, World Record and Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
What about the new stuff? I love the new record from Steven Wilson.

The last song is epic. I've got it in highres, and as usual with work from mister Wilsin the SQ is awesome.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
spockfish said:

The last song is epic. I've got it in highres, and as usual with work from mister Wilsin the SQ is awesome.

Are you referring to VDGG? If so, pretty good but has not reached the heights of their earlier work IMHO. With regards to SW I have Grace For Drowning double album which is good (very Crimson influenced, which is not bad thing) and most of the Crimson that Steve remastered which is excellent. The Raven That Refused to Sing is on my list.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
hammill said:
spockfish said:

Are you referring to VDGG? If so, pretty good but has not reached the heights of their earlier work IMHO. With regards to SW I have Grace For Drowning double album which is good (very Crimson influenced, which is not bad thing) and most of the Crimson that Steve remastered which is excellent. The Raven That Refused to Sing is on my list.

Indeed the raven that refused to sing. It is extremely good!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
hammill said:
spockfish said:

Indeed the raven that refused to sing. It is extremely good!

Very good in parts, the opener is a killer. But a bit patchy later on. Better than Grace For Drowning and Insurgentes mind, in my humble opinion.

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Its not for girls!

Seriously does anyone know any ladies who have loved the prog? I would definatley consider marriage if i could find one.

I love it though much to my dads dismay.

Some great albums being mentioned here but how about 'Red' by 'King Crimson' and 'foxtrot' by 'Genesis'

No one has mentioned 'tales of topographic oceans' yet, who admits to being a fan?

I wish i had a cape, Batman and Rick Wakeman get to have all the fun

John Duncan

Gravenhurst said:
Seriously does anyone know any ladies who have loved the prog? I would definatley consider marriage if i could find one.

Rhona McLean. Edinburgh, 1984. I was totally in love with her.

Oh and a woman called Marina who worked for some prog fanzine who interviewed them ^^ once.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Gravenhurst said:
Its not for girls!

I love it though much to my dads dismay.

Some great albums being mentioned here but how about 'Red' by 'King Crimson' and 'foxtrot' by 'Genesis'

No one has mentioned 'tales of topographic oceans' yet, who admits to being a fan?

I wish i had a cape, Batman and Rick Wakeman get to have all the fun

My wife likes prog, but she is taken. Red and Foxtrot are both fine albums, but Larks Tongues in Aspic is my personal favourite from the Crimson catalogue. Although I prefer Close To The Edge and Going For The One, Tales is a fine album. I would also add Camel's A Live Record , Frank Zappa's Hot Rats and Steve Hillage's Live Herald to the list of excellence.

Gravenhurst

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Gravenhurst said:

Rhona McLean. Edinburgh, 1984. I was totally in love with her.

Oh and a woman called Marina who worked for some prog fanzine who interviewed them ^^ once.

Hmmm 1984, i was born in 82 but hey for a prog chick i could make the leap.

Larks Tongues in Aspic is good as is starless and bible black, think if i had to choose a favourite prog album it would be close to the edge

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Often exceptionally talented musician/musical scientist/composer stoned blokes in frocks singing about teapots and faeries and playing 25 minute keyboard solos to people with long attention spans.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
hammill said:
salparadise said:
I have recently been put onto Van Der Graff Generator. Initially I wasn't really feeling the two albums (Still Life and Godbluff) but after two or three listens something clicked.
Two wonderful albums ( I don't have this forum name for nothing...). I can also heartily recommend Pawn Hearts, World Record and Quiet Zone/Pleasure Dome.

Not heard them all, and those that I have, didn't get my attention, bar one...'Incoherence', love that :)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
My thoughts, FWIW.

Prog, is only another form of music, and as such, you either 'get' it or you don't. Some folks think that The Spice Girls were comparable to The Beatles! I don't 'get' that, but hey, if it 'floats' their boat. For me, I want music that relays an emotion, be it sadness, joy, anger, whatever. Sometimes I just want a tune that I can sing along to, but mostly I want emotion. The thing I like about prog, is that it can sometimes take you on a musical journey, an experience. "Pretentious"? Yeah, maybe, but when it boils down to it, does it really matter? I'm a music lover, and I couldn't care less about the attitudes of any given band/artist. It's the music that counts, yes? I guess for me, one of the greatest musical journeys has to be 'Cinema Show', Genesis (Selling England By The Pound). BTW, why do folks knock Genesis? A band that spanned some 30 years must have been doing something right, yes? Don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of music, so have no real axe to grind, but it seems to be fashionable to knock musicians that take their music seriously. Rick Wakeman, love him or loathe him, at least studied music! Yet still folks knock him? Yes, some tunes can be quite long, but isn't it the same with classical music? Maybe folks just want a quick fix with a 3 minute tune, and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm a big fan of The Beatles, but sometimes I want a bit more. Is that so wrong?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There's a quote attributed to Holger Czukay of Can, which went something like "The reason some guitarist play so many notes, is because they don't know which one to play".

You haven't listened to Camel? How about Genesis? Both bands had guitar players that were by no means 'speed' merchants...

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Metal picked up the prog baton and ran with it, evolving into tech metal along the way. The song lengths may have shortened dramatically, but the musicianship, complex arrangements and odd meters are all still present and correct...... Even if the songs are now played on 8 string guitars. :rockout:

Another vote for Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)', Drive Home and the title track being my faves.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There's a quote attributed to Holger Czukay of Can, which went something like "The reason some guitarist play so many notes, is because they don't know which one to play".

You haven't listened to Camel? How about Genesis? Both bands had guitar players that were by no means 'speed' merchants...

Which Camel tracks/albums would you recommend?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Freddy58 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Which Camel tracks/albums would you recommend?

My personal favourites are 'Snowgoose' and 'Breathless', although recently I've been getting into 'A Nod And A Wink'. Try this from 'A Nod And A Wink' or this from 'Breathless'

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts