Processor to replace Arcam AV9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
Little late may be.. but how about the Classe SSP 800?

Never too late my friend!

The Classe looks lovely, and I can get a demo nearby, so will look into that. Typically tho, phase 3 (the shop with classe) don't have pmc or kef reference |(

Will have to make do with kef r series there. Never mind :)

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I've not compared the 8200AP and 8200CDQ directly to compare their pre-amp section or DACs, but I think if you're trying to squeeze as much as you can out of the 2-channel side of things, then the 8200CDQ should sound better, but I think if you heard them independently in two different places, I doubt you'd notice much, if any, difference between them. If you're wanting a good 2-channel system that also sounds good with movies, the 8200AP is a cracker. If you're only going to use it for 2-channel reproduction though, the 8200CDQ/8200M combo will be the way forward. Unless of course, you're considering mutli-channel music, in which case, it's perfect.
I would be using it for both but for the time being would probably only use it for 2 channel until i can buy the other 3 mb. I think it has bypass so could this be use with my 2310 untill all the other bits come along? The other thing is I need a cd player 8200 is top of my list and seen as though the CDQ is only a couple hundred quid more Im not sure then that would have to bypassed for movies again.... sounds a bit all over the place i know its getting a bit complex

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gregvet said:
The Classe looks lovely, and I can get a demo nearby, so will look into that. Typically tho, phase 3 (the shop with classe) don't have pmc or kef reference |(

There may be an option for you later this year :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
I would be using it for both but for the time being would probably only use it for 2 channel until i can buy the other 3 mb. I think it has bypass so could this be use with my 2310 untill all the other bits come along? The other thing is I need a cd player 8200 is top of my list and seen as though the CDQ is only a couple hundred quid more Im not sure then that would have to bypassed for movies again.... sounds a bit all over the place i know its getting a bit complex

Yes, it can be used with an AV system as it has an AV bypass.

Initially, using an 8200CDQ, the front L&R pre outs will be plugged into the 8200CDQ (along with any other 2-channel sources) and then sent into the power amps. Adding in an 8200AP, AV sources plug into the AP and 2-channel into the CDQ, with the CDQ set to bypass in the same way as it would with the 2310 for movie use, then switch to variable out for 2-channel..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gregvet said:

There may be an option for you later this year :)

Definitely on the up then. ;)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gregvet said:
gregvet said:
Will pop in and have a chat with them tomorrow about amp options.

:wall:

Of course most Hifi shops are closed on Monday's aren't they!

Doh!

Will try again tomorrow :oops:

Not the better ones :rofl:

Yes that's all very well David, but it's a bit of a trek in my lunch break to you from Brighton.

Mind you, in my afternoon off is possible ;)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
WishTree said:
Little late may be.. but how about the Classe SSP 800?

Never too late my friend!

I am glad! From the little experience that I had with Classe range (the older processors like SSP 300s and their integrated), and what I read about the SSP 800, I would say this might be the answer but how much it is justified for the price is a different question :)

Which Power amp (s) & speakers do you use ?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
I am glad! From the little experience that I had with Classe range (the older processors like SSP 300s and their integrated), and what I read about the SSP 800, I would say this might be the answer but how much it is justified for the price is a different question :)

Which Power amp (s) & speakers do you use ?

Currently arcam P7 and PMC FB1i/TB2c/DB1i combo. Looking at upgrade options including arcam P777/electrocompaniet/classe/bryston for the power amps and PMC fact 8/Twenty.24/Kef reference/any other suggestions for the speakers :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
Currently arcam P7 and PMC FB1i/TB2c/DB1i combo. Looking at upgrade options including arcam P777/electrocompaniet/classe/bryston for the power amps and PMC fact 8/Twenty.24/Kef reference/any other suggestions for the speakers :)

I used to have Arcam P7 and it is a good amplifier (along with Classe SSP-300) but I have done some back to back testing and the P7 performance in Stereo compared to the Marantz Pearl or my Classe CAP-2100 is not there (The point is a stereo power amp does a very good job keeping the price points aside)

I was very keen to have just one power amplifier in a box but given my newly acquired experienced my main way forward would be

Classe SSP-800 (I think it is still VFM but as an other lesser expensive option Arcam AV888)

Stereo Power Amp (which doubles Power for every half of the load like Classe CA-2200 - for me even the CA-2100 as of now)

Multichannel Power amp possibly Class D kinds (lower physical size and lower power consumption like Rotel RMB-1565 or RMB-1575. As I think for the Center and Surround channels Class D amplification is good enough to cut the corners)

Given my experience with Arcam P7 which was state of art Power amp when it was released, for music or otherwise, since we always try to get an unsymmetric speaker package (larger floor standers from Front Left & Right), unsymmetric amplification saves money as well as works better SQ wise for music.

Speakers - I have never heard KEF Reference but experienced the KEF R series as well as B&W 804 (though I have not heard either on Classe amplification). I would say R series does extremely good for the money.

Your speaker package looks quite good to me. I would say first get the amplification and once you become extremely familiar with sound, then may be speaker hunt. (Many people might not agree, but may be with new amplficiation you might not see the point in speaker upgrade immediately, just a guess)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
Classe SSP-800 (I think it is still VFM but as an other lesser expensive option Arcam AV888)

Stereo Power Amp (which doubles Power for every half of the load like Classe CA-2200 - for me even the CA-2100 as of now)

Multichannel Power amp possibly Class D kinds (lower physical size and lower power consumption like Rotel RMB-1565 or RMB-1575. As I think for the Center and Surround channels Class D amplification is good enough to cut the corners)

Given my experience with Arcam P7 which was state of art Power amp when it was released, for music or otherwise, since we always try to get an unsymmetric speaker package (larger floor standers from Front Left & Right), unsymmetric amplification saves money as well as works better SQ wise for music.

Speakers - I have never heard KEF Reference but experienced the KEF R series as well as B&W 804 (though I have not heard either on Classe amplification). I would say R series does extremely good for the money.

Your speaker package looks quite good to me. I would say first get the amplification and once you become extremely familiar with sound, then may be speaker hunt. (Many people might not agree, but may be with new amplficiation you might not see the point in speaker upgrade immediately, just a guess)

Thanks WishTree

Believe it or not, i didn't start this looking for replacement speakers. It's all Cno's doing, messing with my mind ;)

I am likely to be going up to seven channels tho, so was originally looking at pmc options further up the tree to upgrade the front channels, moving my current front speakers to the sides. I still like this idea :)

I am not sure why I would want to replace my P7 with a class d amp for the centre and rears tho. I love my system as it is, and any changes I would want to be an upgrade, not cost cutting. I only paid £900 for the P7, and don't see anything around now that would given me as good quality for less money. I would be more likely to keep the arcam for centre and rear duties, and get a stereo amp for the stereo pair. I will wait until I see how I get on with the bryston/electrocompaniet/classé stuff first tho, as if I want to end up with one of those makes amps on all channels, I may start with a stereo version while the system is developing. I have a good feeling about the pmc fact8's with an electrocompaniet ec5 integrated amp for eg, running along side the existing arcam stuff for the other channels.

I agree that the amplification is probably the place to start. Howevere I may upgrade the processor before that, as there are some niggles with that. Can you tell me how much the classe retails for, as I can't find it online anywhere! If it is less than the bryston sp3 it may be the perfect option as it looks lovely :oops:

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Soopafly49 said:

Yes, it can be used with an AV system as it has an AV bypass.

Initially, using an 8200CDQ, the front L&R pre outs will be plugged into the 8200CDQ (along with any other 2-channel sources) and then sent into the power amps. Adding in an 8200AP, AV sources plug into the AP and 2-channel into the CDQ, with the CDQ set to bypass in the same way as it would with the 2310 for movie use, then switch to variable out for 2-channel..
Do you think this would be worthwile or just settle for the CDP with AP buy themselves?

BTW didn't mean to hijack thread..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
Do you think this would be worthwile or just settle for the CDP with AP buy themselves?

Whatever suits you! :)

The simpler system would be the all Audiolab one, but you'll need accompanying amplification. A 2310 could be used initially to drive the extra speakers (centre/rear). I think it would depend if you rely on the 2310 for any niceties - the 8200AP has no video processing or room EQ, and only has one HDMI out.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
Thanks WishTree

Believe it or not, i didn't start this looking for replacement speakers. It's all Cno's doing, messing with my mind ;)

I know.. Cno has ways to get into our heads.. ;) KEF was never on my radar and it is now on my top list (I am glad he did this). Thank God.. I heard some of MF gear and had owned Pathos Inpol2.. so the HiFi amp wise I was a little immune (though I must admit the AMS is awesome!)

gregvet said:
I am not sure why I would want to replace my P7 with a class d amp for the centre and rears tho. I love my system as it is, and any changes I would want to be an upgrade, not cost cutting. I only paid £900 for the P7, and don't see anything around now that would given me as good quality for less money.

Silly me.. Forgot that you already have the P7. Yes, that is very very good for surround duties and gives you upto 7 channels. At 900 Pounds it is hard to beat, Price per pound!

gregvet said:
I agree that the amplification is probably the place to start. Howevere I may upgrade the processor before that, as there are some niggles with that. Can you tell me how much the classe retails for, as I can't find it online anywhere! If it is less than the bryston sp3 it may be the perfect option as it looks lovely :oops:

I live in Germany so I am not sure about the prices in UK. Generally, here the RRP is 9500 Euros and a good used one can be had for around 5000 Euros. There is a general 20% to 30% off on RRP (even more depending on the deal / ex-demo)

Since you might be looking at the SSP 800, there are three versions (I guess) of this model - Single processor (V1), Dual Processor (V2) and Dual Processor HDMI 1.4 (V3 - this is more of upgraded HDMI board over V2). I am not sure on the exact details but the dual processor version is the one to go for, at the least.

Please note there is no automated Calibration in SSP 800 and most dealers offer installation (They tune the processor to your home acoustics / electronics - which I think is a big & important deal)

Fingers crossed, I might have one in my signature if the current discusions with my dealer works out :)

IMO, SQ jump can be seen only with Processor + Front LR Power amp upgrade (As I mentioned before P7 does not do justice to music). In case you get a home demo, please do with a Stereo Power amp together, if it is making as much sense as I am saying!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
WishTree said:
gregvet said:
Thanks WishTree

I know.. Cno has ways to get into our heads.. ;) KEF was never on my radar and it is now on my top list (I am glad he did this). Thank God.. I heard some of MF gear and had owned Pathos Inpol2.. so the HiFi amp wise I was a little immune (though I must admit the AMS is awesome!)

gregvet said:
I am not sure why I would want to replace my P7 with a class d amp for the centre and rears tho. I love my system as it is, and any changes I would want to be an upgrade, not cost cutting. I only paid £900 for the P7, and don't see anything around now that would given me as good quality for less money.

Silly me.. Forgot that you already have the P7. Yes, that is very very good for surround duties and gives you upto 7 channels. At 900 Pounds it is hard to beat, Price per pound!

gregvet said:

I live in Germany so I am not sure about the prices in UK. Generally, here the RRP is 9500 Euros and a good used one can be had for around 5000 Euros. There is a general 20% to 30% off on RRP (even more depending on the deal / ex-demo)

Since you might be looking at the SSP 800, there are three versions (I guess) of this model - Single processor (V1), Dual Processor (V2) and Dual Processor HDMI 1.4 (V3 - this is more of upgraded HDMI board over V2). I am not sure on the exact details but the dual processor version is the one to go for, at the least.

Please note there is no automated Calibration in SSP 800 and most dealers offer installation (They tune the processor to your home acoustics / electronics - which I think is a big & important deal)

Fingers crossed, I might have one in my signature if the current discusions with my dealer works out :)

IMO, SQ jump can be seen only with Processor + Front LR Power amp upgrade (As I mentioned before P7 does not do justice to music). In case you get a home demo, please do with a Stereo Power amp together, if it is making as much sense as I am saying!

Yes that all makes sense Wishtree. I don't think I am at home demo stage yet, just trying some bits out to see whe I should be heading. The classe looks very interesting tho.

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Soopafly49 said:

Whatever suits you! :)

The simpler system would be the all Audiolab one, but you'll need accompanying amplification. A 2310 could be used initially to drive the extra speakers (centre/rear). I think it would depend if you rely on the 2310 for any niceties - the 8200AP has no video processing or room EQ, and only has one HDMI out.

No video processing? Hmm.. not really sure how much my system relies on the processing in the amp

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
MUSICRAFT said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
gregvet said:
gregvet said:
Will pop in and have a chat with them tomorrow about amp options.

:wall:

Of course most Hifi shops are closed on Monday's aren't they!

Doh!

Will try again tomorrow :oops:

Not the better ones :rofl:

And Sundays?

We're all at church on Sundays....

Hmm, shouldn't you be worshipping at the church of hifi? That's not confined to Sundays :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
WishTree said:
....and there's me thinking nobody listened! ;)

Was it the 35i that you heard, and what was the rest of the system? How do you think it compared to the Inpol?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Soopafly49 said:
No video processing? Hmm.. not really sure how much my system relies on the processing in the amp

It doesn't! your projector and/or TV will automatically scale any standard def stuff to the screen's resolution, and many standard definition sources will upscale to 1080p anyway. Obviously, HD sources don't need upscaling. I haven't used any up scaling in an AV receiver since, ummmm, well, ever.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts