Question Problems with Pioneer Amp when listening to CDs

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
I'm using a Pioneer A400 Integrated Amplifier.

I've been experiencing a loss of sound or a distorted sound from the left speaker when listening to CDs. No problems when I'm listening to vinyl or when my TV is cabled via line-in to the amp.

Checked the speakers - no problem with them - and also listened via alternate speakers and get the same problem with them also when listening to CDs.

Used headphones plugged into the CD Player. No problem. Used headphones plugged directly into the amp and have the same problem - loss of sound or distorted sound - from the left hand side of the headphones when listening to CDs. Sometimes the sound will just cut out of the left hand channel when listening to CDs - usually after an hour or so.

I'd be grateful for any help or advice concerning this problem.

shadders

I've been experiencing a loss of sound or a distorted sound from the left speaker when listening to CDs. No problems when I'm listening to vinyl or when my TV is cabled via line-in to the amp.

Checked the speakers - no problem with them - and also listened via alternate speakers and get the same problem with them also when listening to CDs.

Used headphones plugged into the CD Player. No problem. Used headphones plugged directly into the amp and have the same problem - loss of sound or distorted sound - from the left hand side of the headphones when listening to CDs. Sometimes the sound will just cut out of the left hand channel when listening to CDs - usually after an hour or so.

Hi,
If you swap the cable for the CD input to another input on the amplifier, does it still happen when listening to CD 's ?

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

It's just a case of being logical.
Ask yourself why, given the symptoms you've described, Bill and Shadder's above would have felt no need to check the speakers as you did. (Answer, because other sources were fine through the speakers).
Thinking logically is how you will find the cause of your problem 👍

Reactions: Al ears

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site

The A400 has been around for a number of years so the selector switches may need a blast of switch cleaner. Take of the lid and squirt into the back of the switches and turn the switch to clean the contacts

Reactions: Gray

matthewpianist

The A400 is prone to issues with the combined volume/balance control, but clearly this isn't the case here because you are only have issues with CD.

The advice given above is the best place to start. It could very well be dry joints at the line level output on the CD player or at the CD input on the amplifier, but the only way you'll find out is by doing the checks described already in this thread.

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
✅My money is on the selector switch being the culprit.

I had the problem with my original Cyrus One so I blasted the selector switch with Maplins switch cleaner and problem solved

I bought the A400 recently off ebay to replace my Pioneer A400X. When it arrived the selector switch for recording purposes - Tuner/CD/ Source/Tape - was loose. You stated in your reply:

"The A400 has been around for a number of years so the selector switches may need a blast of switch cleaner. Take of the lid and squirt into the back of the switches and turn the switch to clean the contacts"

Do you mean all the selector switches? -There are three on the amp.
Take off the lid? Not sure what you mean by 'the lid'?
Switch cleaner? Where do I obtain this?

Gray

I bought the A400 recently off ebay to replace my Pioneer A400X. When it arrived the selector switch for recording purposes - Tuner/CD/ Source/Tape - was loose. You stated in your reply:

"The A400 has been around for a number of years so the selector switches may need a blast of switch cleaner. Take of the lid and squirt into the back of the switches and turn the switch to clean the contacts"

Search for 'Servisol Super 10'.
The lid is the top cover. Possibly 2 screws on either side maybe one or two on the back to remove first.
Spray inside all switches and rotary controls.

If that selector switch was loose and not described as such I would have sent it back.
Have you get tried connecting the CD player into a different pair of sockets like Line In or Tuner?
the A400 only has one source selector switch, you can forget about the Record Selector.

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
If that selector switch was loose and not described as such I would have sent it back.
Have you get tried connecting the CD player into a different pair of sockets like Line In or Tuner?
the A400 only has one source selector switch, you can forget about the Record Selector.

I would have sent the amp back but the problem with the sound only started to occur recently. I thought, at the time, that the loose switch was of minimal importance. Would I be able to hear the CD Player if connected to the Line-In/Tuner sockets???

Gray

I thought, at the time, that the loose switch was of minimal importance.
It could be the problem.
If you move the switch about while playing the CD, does the sound cut in and out?
If the looseness is the cause, spraying contact cleaner will not solve your problem.

You can certainly test your CD player and it's cables by connecting to the line or tuner inputs. But bear in mind that those sources go through the same selector switch - which means that they too could be intermittent.

The only (unlikely) harm the attenuators could have done, is to physically damage the input socket connections due to their increased leverage.
I would do the testing without the attenuators, fit them back once your problem is cured.

The loose switch is not good though and may (at least) require resoldering.

bassheader

Nov 14, 2021
Visit site
It could be the problem.
If you move the switch about while playing the CD, does the sound cut in and out?
If the looseness is the cause, spraying contact cleaner will not solve your problem.

You can certainly test your CD player and it's cables by connecting to the line or tuner inputs. But bear in mind that those sources go through the same selector switch - which means that they too could be intermittent.

The only (unlikely) harm the attenuators could have done, is to physically damage the input socket connections due to their increased leverage.
I would do the testing without the attenuators, fit them back once your problem is cured.

The loose switch is not good though and may (at least) require resoldering.

When I say 'switch' it's actually the plastic cap of the switch which is loose. How would I solder that?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts