PROBLEMS WITH FREEVIEW AFTER RE-TUNING FROM ROWBRIDGE

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

ever since we had to retune our tvs when they closed down the Rowbridge transmitter everything has gone haywire. Firstly, whenever we switch on our Sony 3000d the screen is obliterated by a message telling us to reset the clock, but the clock is right and anyway you can't reset it because none of the buttons work. To get rid of the message we have to go into the menu and press digital and the tv works as normal.

Secondly, and more seriously the Humax 9200t pvr has become very unreliable. Everytime it records anything now it records for about 150 minutes, whatever the programme length, and sometimes it starts recordings halfway through the programme. On Tuesday it recorded The Wire, but says it is only thirty minutes long, although the episode seems complete,last night I set it to record The Wire followed by Mad Men. It recorded Mad Men twice, once straight after The Wire, and one of the recordings had the hdtv logo in the top right hand corner.

We always have problems with the Humax when we change from GMT to SMT and back, but this is way worse than that. I don't know what transmitter we're receiving from now, the system info just says South, and I've tried retuning 3 times, but nothing seems to help. Is anyone else experienceing these problems?

A

Anonymous

The first thing to try, if you haven't already, is to disconnect the mains for a while.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, guys. Funnily enough I tried turning them off at the mains this morning. Just got back in and switched the Humax back on and I've suddenly got that message again about re-tuning on the 25th March and phoning the above helpline number.I've set it to record Channel Five news to see how long it records for and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I might be picking this up wrongly but it seems to me that when you turn on your TV it's trying to find analogue stations - you then manually change it to the digital tuner and it's OK?

Can you set the Sony to switch on and set itself to the digital tuner as opposed to the analogue one?

Or retune the TV either manually or on auto so it finds the analogue stations via another transmitter (if you aren't talking about the switch off of analogue in your area).

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Just checked the Sony again and when it's switched on it's going to AV2, which is showing the message and graphic for re-setting the clock, although none of the number or directional buttons work. I then have to press menu and choose digital or analogue to get out of that screen and the tv works normally. There doesn't appear to be a way to ensure that it automatically goes straight to tv when switched on, although it always used to. I've just tried auto-setup and it's still doing it, so I've unplugged it again and I'll see what it's like later.

Our Toshiba z3030db re-tuned itself without any problems at all and since leaving the Humax unplugged for a few hours that seems to have sorted itself out too.I know people rave about Sony but I have to say virtually everything I've ever had by Sony has turned out to be not as good as it's cracked up to be.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
johnnyblue:
Just checked the Sony again and when it's switched on it's going to AV2, which is showing the message and graphic for re-setting the clock, although none of the number or directional buttons work. I then have to press menu and choose digital or analogue to get out of that screen and the tv works normally. There doesn't appear to be a way to ensure that it automatically goes straight to tv when switched on, although it always used to. I've just tried auto-setup and it's still doing it, so I've unplugged it again and I'll see what it's like later.

Our Toshiba z3030db re-tuned itself without any problems at all and since leaving the Humax unplugged for a few hours that seems to have sorted itself out too.I know people rave about Sony but I have to say virtually everything I've ever had by Sony has turned out to be not as good as it's cracked up to be.

I'd guess the Humax or another external recording source is on and thus causing the TV to switch to AV2, and the 'reset clock' graphic on AV2 is being generated by that piece of equipment, not the TV. That would explain why the buttons on the TV remote don't do anything when the clock screen is showing.

The external equipment probably won't go back into standby until the clock is set, so that could well be the prob. Fire up the TV with the connected equipment in standby - once the clock's been set - and I suspect you'll find the TV won't detect a signal on any of its AV inputs, and will thus go straight to its internal tuners.

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, that's fixed it. The dvd player/recorder was the problem. It was on standby the whole time, but once I'd switched it off and on at the mains it reset. We never use it these days so I'd kind of forgotten all about it.Doh!

johnnyblue

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Just an update for anyone else who might have had similar problems.

In fact the Humax, which is connected to the Toshiba tv, wasn't okay after I turned it off and on at the mains - it turned out it was not doing timer recording and only recording stuff if it was already tuned to that channel.

Having tried everything else I returned it to default settings and then re-did all my personal settings, after which it seems to be working properly again.Fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts