Problem with this Marantz PM 6006 amplifier

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

There's every chance that you've shorted the bare wires together but......
Didn't you say you had sound (not just hiss) coming out of the amp at one point?
It appears the OP did have 2 right channels working at one point. However, if the headphone jack also, produces hiss then that is not good.

I guess another test would be to turn off the speakers i.e. both A and B speakers are off on the front panel and then try headphones. If there is still just hiss then that is not good. Best to disconnect the speakers entirely when trying this, just to be sure. (Not that I'd expect a difference.)

I guess if it were me, I'd try the source direct and loudness buttons in a forlorn hope that might do something.

It is also not clear if the OP has tried the CD or Tuner RCA connections at the back, obviously switching the amp to the appropriate input. However, unlikely it could be the Network RCA at fault.

To be clear:
  • Remove the speaker cables completely from the amp
  • Switch both A and B speakers off (no lights on either)
  • Plug the network player into CD
  • Switch the amp input to CD
  • Listen through the amp headphone socket
If you get audio then that is something we can work with. If it is just hiss...
You could also try the phone in the CD RCA connection just to rule out cable problems between the network player and the amp.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
It appears the OP did have 2 right channels working at one point. However, if the headphone jack also, produces hiss then that is not good.

I guess another test would be to turn off the speakers i.e. both A and B speakers are off on the front panel and then try headphones. If there is still just hiss then that is not good. Best to disconnect the speakers entirely when trying this, just to be sure. (Not that I'd expect a difference.)

I guess if it were me, I'd try the source direct and loudness buttons in a forlorn hope that might do something.

It is also not clear if the OP has tried the CD or Tuner RCA connections at the back, obviously switching the amp to the appropriate input. However, unlikely it could be the Network RCA at fault.

To be clear:
  • Remove the speaker cables completely from the amp
  • Switch both A and B speakers off (no lights on either)
  • Plug the network player into CD
  • Switch the amp input to CD
  • Listen through the amp headphone socket
If you get audio then that is something we can work with. If it is just hiss...
You could also try the phone in the CD RCA connection just to rule out cable problems between the network player and the amp.

"I guess another test would be to turn off the speakers i.e. both A and B speakers are off on the front panel and then try headphones."

Done that yesterday, all the variations just to be sure. No result.

"I guess if it were me, I'd try the source direct and loudness buttons in a forlorn hope that might do something."

Done that too, all the variations back and front. Also tested the Rca into various sources at the back of the amplifier. All of them.

Thanks again for all the effort!

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
That one sentence confirms, without a doubt, that the amplifier is faulty.

Now it's a question of when you bought it and, if appropriate, the after-sales procedure for you in Hungary.
That's a huge disappointment for me. Do you think i should bring it to the authorized service here, i am not sure if we have one in the city but i'll search for it.? I bought it from amazon.de on 18th October 2018

Gray

That's a huge disappointment for me. Do you think i should bring it to the authorized service here, i am not sure if we have one in the city but i'll search for it.? I bought it from amazon.de on 18th October 2018
Yes it's a shame that it's not under guarantee.
You need to ask some questions before leaving it with anyone for repair.
You first need to know if they will charge for a repair estimate.
If they do, would they deduct that charge from the eventual repair cost.
And you need to know if they give a repair guarantee. (Any such guarantee will be on the repair that they do, only)
Electronic servicing was my job for several years and I'm sorry to say that I think yours could be quite an expensive repair.
Try to get a free estimate, then you can decide if it's worth it (without losing any money just to find out that it is not).

Reactions: Egonx
"Didn't you say you had sound (not just hiss) coming out of the amp at one point?"
Yes it worked fine for weeks at the beginning. But its wiring was all messed up, it was wired on the Righ Channels on AB. I have posted the photo before, you can see it there. It worked that way for almost a month. And then the problem occured and no sound at all just a hiss.

"You mean a loud hiss even with the volume control around the 8-9 'o clock position, right?"
No not loud just a continious mild hiss. And it comes even when the network player is not connected to amplifier. And it does not change if i turn the volume up/down.
I very much suspect the amp has been subjected to a short-circuit somehow so you need to.locate and checks all fuses or get it to an electrician that can.

Reactions: Egonx

Mirotvorac

Mar 18, 2024
Visit site
I will send all the photos for all the connection posts, i am from Turkey, i live in a city called Bursa, i am not sure you guys are familiar. Here where i live, there are not much experts or technical support but in Istanbul there is a distributo who is authorized to technical support for Marantz products.
Found a solution?
I had very anoying hissing sound from my TV set connected to amplifier, after I changed on TV sound utput from speakers to music system.

It was an optical output on TV. It worked when output was set on "TV speakers". Very anoying and loud Hissing sound appeared when I changed the on the TV set setting to "music system". Odd, unlogical, but happend.
It is a very different thing, but check if there is some sort of output setting on your Network player?

Found a solution?
I had very anoying hissing sound from my TV set connected to amplifier, after I changed on TV sound utput from speakers to music system.

It was an optical output on TV. It worked when output was set on "TV speakers". Very anoying and loud Hissing sound appeared when I changed the on the TV set setting to "music system". Odd, unlogical, but happend.
It is a very different thing, but check if there is some sort of output setting on your Network player?
Think you need to read the date of this thread before posting irrelevant materials

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts