Problem with this Marantz PM 6006 amplifier

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Here is the photos, i also have a video clip with full volume on so you can hear the hissing from the speakers, it was quite at night and i can hear it clearly. So i made a video just for you to have an idea. I will try to upload it here.
Maybe you guys can guide mestep by step from the start, i unplugged everything and ready to start. So whenever you have time just shoot it. I am sute i am missing something fundamental, i don't think this amplifier is burnt or out of service.

Attachments

• 20220322_154455.jpg
    20220322_154455.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220322_154513.jpg
    20220322_154513.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220322_154526.jpg
    20220322_154526.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220322_154605.jpg
    20220322_154605.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220322_154646.jpg
    20220322_154646.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 20
Hi, yes right channel only its seems to be working. But now even the right channel is not working after rewiring. Swap red and white you mean the cable between Network player and the amplifier? I already tried that, and also i found another set of cables for that connection and tried them too.
Just a couple of thoughts:-
1. Connecting those stiff bare speaker cable wires into the amplifier terminals isn’t easy. Multi strand cables tend to be softer. If you can twist them together with pliers and still fit them into the terminals it might be more secure. Better, get the same plugs fitted as at the speaker end, and remove the little black and red caps from the amplifier terminals - then they plug straight in.
(Meanwhile you might find it easier to connect the speaker plug ends into the amp and the bare wires into the speaker terminal)
2. Yes, the cable from Network Player to amp. If you’ve tried another one and nothing changes then that’s not the issue.

If right channel no longer working then either the soeaker cables are not connecting, or the ‘fault’ has changed sides - meaning the amp is fine, but the signal has moved channels, as a result of the source (network player) cable. You need to write down each time you change anything what the result is. It’s tiresome, but simply a process of elimination.

Reactions: Al ears and Egonx

DCarmi

Could you connect the speaker cables to the B speaker terminals and test that for his please. That is, connect the speaker wires to the top row and switch the speaker button on the front to B only. This is to check that the problem is not just the A output.

Given you appear to get it working through the amp's headphone socket, it implies the problem is not with the network player. You DID try the amp headphone socket NOT the network player one??

If you have not done this I would try different wire for the speaker connections. Any old wire would do, as a test. My working guess is that it is the amp that is faulty and I am hoping it is just the A speakers that have the problem.

Reactions: Egonx

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
OK, I I was considering coming to your house and sorting it out, but as I'm in England I probably won't now🙂

Don't worry, we will help you here.
If nothing else, you will end up knowing exactly where any fault is.....
Thanks Gray, you are wellcome to my house anytime you want :D

Reactions: Gray

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Just a minute ago i finished rewiring the whole amplifier and i give it a go but no results, same hissing sound again. Posting the photos one last time.

Attachments

• 20220322_173422.jpg
    20220322_173422.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220322_173440.jpg
    20220322_173440.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 21

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Could you connect the speaker cables to the B speaker terminals and test that for his please. That is, connect the speaker wires to the top row and switch the speaker button on the front to B only. This is to check that the problem is not just the A output.

Given you appear to get it working through the amp's headphone socket, it implies the problem is not with the network player. You DID try the amp headphone socket NOT the network player one??

If you have not done this I would try different wire for the speaker connections. Any old wire would do, as a test. My working guess is that it is the amp that is faulty and I am hoping it is just the A speakers that have the problem.

Hi, i ve already tried B Channel multiple times as i mentioned above. I have tried various combinations BA right channel, BA left channel etc.
"
You DID try the amp headphone socket NOT the network player one??
"
Yes i tried both of them with headphones, only the Network player i have sound. Amplifier with headphones gives me the same continious hissing.

I really hope that there is nothing wrong with the amplifier.

Gray

My guess is that (for some reason) the hiss is coming from the network player.
But guesses help nobody - certainty is what's required.

FIRST you need to be sure there's nothing wrong with the amplifier.
With the speakers wired correctly, you must then put a known working source into its input. If you can do what Vincent suggested in post #8 and get your phone sound into the network input of the amp....you will be doing yourself a favour.
In one move you will confirm output on both channels.
You will then be certain that the amp (and your speaker wiring) are both OK.
You must do that......

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
My guess is that (for some reason) the hiss is coming from the network player.
But guesses help nobody - certainty is what's required.

FIRST you need to be sure there's nothing wrong with the amplifier.
With the speakers wired correctly, you must then put a known working source into its input. If you can do what Vincent suggested in post #8 and get your phone sound into the network input of the amp....you will be doing yourself a favour.
In one move you will confirm output on both channels.
You will then be certain that the amp (and your speaker wiring) are both OK.
You must do that......
Ok understood. Something similar from photo right?

Attachments

• 41CsuS7BSsL._AC_.jpg
    41CsuS7BSsL._AC_.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 5

Gray

And some of these would make life easier for your connect / disconnections at the amp end - and avoid the risk of short circuits from the bare wires:
Cut off the scraggy ends, bare back insulation for some nice clean copper, twist together.....fit plugs - 2 screws on each.
Remove the little red / black inserts in the ends of the amp terminals (y)

Last edited:

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
And some of these would make life easier for your connect / disconnections at the amp end - and avoid the risk of short circuits from the bare wires:
Cut off the scraggy ends, bare back insulation for some nice clean copper, twist together.....fit plugs - 2 screws on each.
Remove the little red / black inserts in the ends of the amp terminals (y)
I have the Rca cable how do i test the amplifier, i have tried all the sources from the back no sound at all. Do i have to push source direct button?

If i purchase on oh those banana plugs can i apply my bulk cables into them, i have no tools for this purposes? If its doable at home so the best idea to use bananas.

Attachments

• 20220323_111117.jpg
    20220323_111117.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220323_111132.jpg
    20220323_111132.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14

DCarmi

You don't want to plug the network player into the recorder out RCAs, as shown in the image above. That is the recorder OUTPUT used to record audio not play it.
Plug it into the other RCAs labelled "Network".

Sorry, I am confused by Gray's message above as to where we have got to. Do you hear hiss from the PM6006 Headphone socket? If you don't and you get music then I'd assume the network player is not at fault.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
You don't want to plug the network player into the recorder out RCAs, as shown in the image above. That is the recorder OUTPUT used to record audio not play it.
Plug it into the other RCAs labelled "Network".

Sorry, I am confused by Gray's message above as to where we have got to. Do you hear hiss from the PM6006 Headphone socket? If you don't and you get music then I'd assume the network player is not at fault.
I understand, i am using my phone to test the amplifier this was the idea. I didn't have Rca cables so i have ordered one, this morning i got them, After i plug it into the Network what do i do from the amplifier front panel. Chose Channel A and Network? I ve already done that again no music.
"Do you hear hiss from the PM6006 Headphone socket?"
Yes i do. From Network headphone i have music from amplifier only a hiss.

Gray

Sorry, I am confused by Gray's message above as to where we have got to.
I agree that if he's getting music from network player headphone socket, there should not be hiss from its output.
But equally unlikely would be (excessive) hiss from the amp........so we're taking things one step at a time....and, as you've seen, not connecting outputs to outputs is all part of the learning curve here 😉

Reactions: Egonx and DCarmi

DCarmi

I understand, i am using my phone to test the amplifier this was the idea. I didn't have Rca cables so i have ordered one, this morning i got them, After i plug it into the Network what do i do from the amplifier front panel. Chose Channel A and Network? I ve already done that again no music.
"Do you hear hiss from the PM6006 Headphone socket?"
Yes i do. From Network headphone i have music from amplifier only a hiss.

You can plug it into any of Network, CD or Tuner as log as you choose the same option on the front panel. My phone cable was plugged into Tuner in my PM6006.

Test headphones as well as speakers. Note that the volume control on the phone will also affect the ouput volume from the amp (independently). i.e. If you increase the phone volume you would expect any hiss or music to increase in volume. If this does not happen, I fear for the amp.

Gray

I have the Rca cable how do i test the amplifier, i have tried all the sources from the back no sound at all. Do i have to push source direct button?

If i purchase on oh those banana plugs can i apply my bulk cables into them, i have no tools for this purposes? If its doable at home so the best idea to use bananas.
If your speakers are connected to the 'A' terminals, then press the A button on the front panel.
Leave source direct button on.

A very small, flat blade screwdriver is all you need to fit those banana plugs.
(The same screwdriver will lever out the amp terminal plastic inserts).

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes i have done the testing, a continious hissing from the speakers same as before. I also tried to increase/decrease volume from the phone itself, hiss continues the same. We have tried all the options i guess, what do we have it is most probably the amplifier. I am afraid i have done some damage ahile experimenting with bare cables. I am gonna have to contact the technical service here.

Gray

There's every chance that you've shorted the bare wires together but......
Didn't you say you had sound (not just hiss) coming out of the amp at one point?

And the hiss...you don't just mean the sort of hiss you might expect when turning the volume way up with no input?
You mean a loud hiss even with the volume control around the 8-9 'o clock position, right?

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
There's every chance that you've shorted the bare wires together but......
Didn't you say you had sound (not just hiss) coming out of the amp at one point?

And the hiss...you don't just mean the sort of hiss you might expect when turning the volume way up with no input?
You mean a loud hiss even with the volume control around the 8-9 'o clock position, right?

"Didn't you say you had sound (not just hiss) coming out of the amp at one point?"
Yes it worked fine for weeks at the beginning. But its wiring was all messed up, it was wired on the Righ Channels on AB. I have posted the photo before, you can see it there. It worked that way for almost a month. And then the problem occured and no sound at all just a hiss.

"You mean a loud hiss even with the volume control around the 8-9 'o clock position, right?"
No not loud just a continious mild hiss. And it comes even when the network player is not connected to amplifier. And it does not change if i turn the volume up/down.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts