Problem with this Marantz PM 6006 amplifier

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone, my problem is with this Marantz PM 6006 amplifier. I can't get a voice except a hissing sound out of it.
I am using it with a Marantz NA 6005 Network player and a pair of Chario bookshelf speakers. So its is connected to the speakers
via chanel A as it should be, it says in the manual. But when i started the Network player i can't get the sond of music, just a static hissing on both speakers.
Here is what i tried so far: i have tested the Network player directly with headphones its working, checked the balance, channel, volume contorls they are all ok.
Cables are ok, banana connnections are ok. The only time i get a stereo sound from both speakers and amplifier seems to be working is when i connect AB RIGHT channel
and i choose A and B both active from the amplifier control panel. Do you guys any suggestion or maybe amplifier is burned or shortwired?

Attachments

• AB right channels working.jpg
    AB right channels working.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 80
  • amplifier control.jpg
    amplifier control.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 64
  • audioquest cable.jpg
    audioquest cable.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 60
  • not working connection channel a.jpg
    not working connection channel a.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 53

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When you connect speakers to both the left and right A channel then press the A speaker select button on the front of the amplifier, can you audibly hear the relay clicking off and on ?

Reactions: Egonx

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
When you connect speakers to both the left and right A channel then press the A speaker select button on the front of the amplifier, can you audibly hear the relay clicking off and on ?
I just checked again, tightened the cables once again, after that hearing only continious hissing sound.

Your first picture shows you have connected only the Right channel each to both A and B speaker outputs.

Has the amplifier worked before? If so, then try another set of leads from the network player.

Have you got a CD player or another source you can try?

Last edited:

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Your first picture shows you have connected only the Right channel each to both A and B speaker outputs.

Has the amplifier worked before? If so, then try another set of leads from the network played.

Have you got a CD player or another source you can try?

Yes, in the first picture combination it worked, i got sound and it was ok, but i am not sure if its the right combination, because it says use Channel A on the manual. I have listened 9-10 albums maybe with that AB combination.
What do you mean by "try another set of leads from the network played"

I don't have a CD player or any other source to check with, but i have tested the Network player with headphones it was ok, but headphones on amplifier i couldn't get a sound.

Gray

in the first picture combination it worked, i got sound and it was ok
The sound wouldn't have been ok, because, connected like that, you were not hearing the right channel of the amplifier at all.

The network player is showing 'no connection'......but you say it's ok on headphones???

Try this:
Wire up the speakers correctly.
Confirm that music is playing on headphones that are plugged into the network player.
Unplug the headphones.
Now, does music play ok via your amplifier into the speakers?

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
I agree i wasn't hearing the right channel in the first place but i was just trying to get a sound so i experimented with the channel combinations, i was trying to be sure that the amplifier work properly.
Network player is working fine it was just off when taking the photo. I did what you say before and with headphones its working but when i unplug them no music just a hissing from both speakers.

Reactions: Gray
What do you mean by "try another set of leads from the network played"
Sorry it was a typo, I meant Network Player, and the leads are the wires terminated in red and white plugs. They may be the reason the signal isn't reaching the amplifier.

Have you ever heard the amplifier work properly? It's not a current model amplifier but its not clear if you've just bought it secondhand, or simply can't get the Network Player to work through it. Without all the facts it's hard to diagnose any fault.

My guess is a problem with the amp, hence asking has it ever worked.

Last edited:
By the way, A is a set of speaker connections, the channel is Left or Right.
It doesn't matter whether you use A, left and right, or B left and right, as long as you select the correct pair on the amplifier.

I appreciate now that you were trying to get a sound, so it seems you're getting Right channel only. Hence the idea to try another lead, or swap Red and White to see if the fault changes side. It's just a matter of systematic elimination of possibilities. But if this is all new to you, I appreciate it may be a challenge.

Gray

You can do a quick 'buzz test' to give you a good idea if the amp is ok on its network input.
Unplug the red / white plugs from the network player.
With the amp set to network input and the volume about a quarter way up, touch a finger on the pins of the disconnected RCA plugs.
A buzz shows there's (almost certainly) nothing wrong with the amp.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
Sorry it was a typo, I meant Network Player, and the leads are the wires terminated in red and white plugs. They may be the reason the signal isn't reaching the amplifier.

Have you ever heard the amplifier work properly? It's not a current model amplifier but its not clear if you've just bought it secondhand, or simply can't get the Network Player to work through it. Without all the facts it's hard to diagnose any fault.

My guess is a problem with them amp, hence asking has it ever worked.
Yes i understand, that's a good point and only thing left uncheced those wires between network player and the amplifier. Network player and amplifier are new - they are old models i know but my budget is low and i am a beginner -.

I am sorry i wasn't clear about the amplifier worked before. As i explained above, it worked with A B combination - speakers connected to right channel, you can see it on the photo, thats the only combination it worked -
Thank you very much for your time.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
You can do a quick 'buzz test' to give you a good idea if the amp is ok on its network input.
Unplug the red / white plugs from the network player.
With the amp set to network input and the volume about a quarter way up, touch a finger on the pins of the disconnected RCA plugs.
A buzz shows there's (almost certainly) nothing wrong with the amp.
I did the test, still a continious hissing from both speakers. Maybe i am not doing the wiring properly on the amplifier. But i did the same wiring before and it was working, now it is not. Really strange.

Thank you very much for your answers. That was very helpful, and i will remember and use them in the future too.

Yes i understand, that's a good point and only thing left uncheced those wires between network player and the amplifier. Network player and amplifier are new - they are old models i know but my budget is low and i am a beginner -.

I am sorry i wasn't clear about the amplifier worked before. As i explained above, it worked with A B combination - speakers connected to right channel, you can see it on the photo, thats the only combination it worked -
Thank you very much for your time.
Yes, well in my book that’s not really working, it’s making some sound from one channel. I suspect the amp isn’t right, though that’s relatively rare if it’s new - even if it’s been in its box for a few years. That’s why eliminating the connecting lead is important.

Are you in the UK, and is it under warranty?

How about some pictures of the connections as they are now, both amp and speakers.

Reactions: Gray

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone, my problem is with this Marantz PM 6006 amplifier. I can't get a voice except a hissing sound out of it.
I am using it with a Marantz NA 6005 Network player and a pair of Chario bookshelf speakers. So its is connected to the speakers
via chanel A as it should be, it says in the manual. But when i started the Network player i can't get the sond of music, just a static hissing on both speakers.
Here is what i tried so far: i have tested the Network player directly with headphones its working, checked the balance, channel, volume contorls they are all ok.
Cables are ok, banana connnections are ok. The only time i get a stereo sound from both speakers and amplifier seems to be working is when i connect AB RIGHT channel
and i choose A and B both active from the amplifier control panel. Do you guys any suggestion or maybe amplifier is burned or shortwired?
What is the Network Player using as a source?Tune into an Internet radio station and see if it is heard through the speakers.

WayneKerr

The photo isn't very good to see clearly but this wiring just looks all wrong to me. You seem to have the all the red wires going to the right speaker and all the black wires going to the left speaker. It also seems that you are using bi-wire cabling.

Each speaker should have one red and one black wire attached to the terminals, red = +ve, black = -ve. From the back of the amp one red and one black wire should be attached to the colour coded R and L terminals.

Take one cable and on the back of your amp attach the red wires to Right A + red terminal, from the same cable attach the black wires to Right A - black terminal, run this cable to your right hand speaker and attach red to red and black to black on the correct speaker terminals. Repeat this process on the Left A terminals and left speaker. Select speaker output as A and it should work fine.

If not then come back with better photographs of the wired connections to the amp.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
By the way, A is a set of speaker connections, the channel is Left or Right.
It doesn't matter whether you use A, left and right, or B left and right, as long as you select the correct pair on the amplifier.

I appreciate now that you were trying to get a sound, so it seems you're getting Right channel only. Hence the idea to try another lead, or swap Red and White to see if the fault changes side. It's just a matter of systematic elimination of possibilities. But if this is all new to you, I appreciate it may be a challenge.

Hi, yes right channel only its seems to be working. But now even the right channel is not working after rewiring. Swap red and white you mean the cable between Network player and the amplifier? I already tried that, and also i found another set of cables for that connection and tried them too.

Egonx

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
You're welcome, but your problem hasn't been resolved yet.
Wiring the speakers wrongly will not cause hiss, but you need to ensure it's right anyway.

Are your speakers bi-wired?
Have you got 4 conductors going to 4 terminals on each speaker?

Where are you located?

I will send all the photos for all the connection posts, i am from Turkey, i live in a city called Bursa, i am not sure you guys are familiar. Here where i live, there are not much experts or technical support but in Istanbul there is a distributo who is authorized to technical support for Marantz products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts