Problem with bass when speakers against the wall.

gypsygc

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have the following set up in my kitchen.

Rega Brio amp; Sonos ZP90 and Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

The problem is that the speakers need to be very near the wall (about 3 to 4 inches away) and also near the corner which means they are very "boomy/bassy". I have stuffed the rear ports with socks and turned the bass right down on the settings and the sound is great on acoustic but if you have anything bassy on it it starts to overwhelm everything. Therefore I am looking to replace the speakers with something more appropriate.

I have scribbled a rough list of potential candidates within a budget of £150-£250 but would be interested on peoples views and if anyone has overcome similar problems.

(i) Acoustic Energy Compact 1
(ii) Dali Zensor
(iii) Mission MX1
(iv) Monitor Audio BX2..

Any advice or suggestions welcome

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Not many speakers sound good in a closed in position. Is it posible to hang or bracket the speakers away from the corner? If looking for new speakers I would look for front ported ones.

gypsygc

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately not... there isn't room in that area.... Did suspect front ports would be a better bet... Now I need to understand which ones are front ported. I think the MAs are and I think some budget tannoys are as well. Any other suggestions ?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
You could consider the Focal 7 series of bookshelf speakers. Both the 705v and 706v are front ported and come in under £400.

I have a pair of the 806v's that are up against a back wall. Not ideal but I have no option really. Still sound good.

gypsygc

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Had a look at the ATCs and I think they are a bit out of my price range as are the Focals...
Looks like I need to keep an eye out for the front port option.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Might be worth keeping an eye on ebay. If you don't overpay you should be able to sell them on without loss if they don't work out.

Otherwise keep an eye out for something that is consistently reviewed as notably lean, any speaker is going to have its bass boosted whether it is front or rear ported (or sealed) if it is placed in a corner.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Neat Iotas are designed to go against the wall, so might be another option. Not heard them with Rega but Im sure they would go well together.

My Leema Xeros work well right up against the wall as well (despite being rear ported), and they can be got second hand occasionally on ebay for not very much money.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Over budget but Rega RS1’s work very well indeed against a back wall even though they’re rear ported.

You can even buy Rega’s own wall mounting kit if you fancy drilling in to the cabinets (no thanks!). Rega describe them as having a very even bass response, but I prefer call it flat. They have great rhythym and timing and excel with acoustics, vocals etc.

I’ve not heard the Zensor’s, but like the Lektor 1 and 2 they can be wall mounted like a picture frame – a suitable screw with Rawlplug in the wall and simply hang them on. I had the Lektor 1’s and much preferred them wall mounted to standed so maybe the Zensor’s will be the same.

However your biggest problem is having to place your speakers in the corner rather than having them against a back wall. No personal experience of them but perhaps bass traps maybe worth looking at.

gypsygc

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Rega's and NEat Iotas bit out of my price range.... Interesting what you say about the Dali speakers... Didn't realise they came "designed" to be wall mounted and you say they are better against wall than on stands... That's got me thinking.....

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Another vote here for Dali Lektor 1 or 2. The 2's have a bigger sound being a larger speaker so mayber the 1's would be better. Front ported too. They really are an amazing speaker for the money. I have the 2's in corners in my bedroom but are 1.5 ft form the walls.

A couple of Advanced Acoustics bass traps has helped reduce the bass boom considerably and now have a nice deep,clear bass.

If you have a lot of hard,non absorbing surfaces then this won't help but maybe, as suggested a foam corner bass trap behind each speaker would help absorb the bass frequencies.

A

Anonymous

gypsygc said:
Unfortunately not... there isn't room in that area.... Did suspect front ports would be a better bet... Now I need to understand which ones are front ported. I think the MAs are and I think some budget tannoys are as well. Any other suggestions ?

MA BX2's are definately front ported.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts