Problem with AV setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys im hoping someone on here migh be able to shed some light on this

I have a custom built media centre pc, onkyo 875 receiver and used to have a toshiba 37" lcd tv.

It has all worked fine for for the last couple of years.

I have just upgraded the tv to a lg 60" full hd plasma and this is where the problem has started.

I thought i could just plug the hdmi cable from the old tv into the new tv and switch it all back on and it would just work, how wrong was I

The problem i have is that everything else i can get a picture i.e sky etc except the media centre it just comes up with no signal and no sound.

If i unplug the hdmi from the tv i get sound from the media centre through the av receiver but obviously no picture.

If i plug the media centre straight into the tv it works fine and if i plug it all back into the old it is all ok.

This is really doing my head in

Thanks

Andy

Willow132

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Thanks for the reply

Not too sure what you mean by flick to different input setting.

If you mean flick to like cable and then back to the media centre. I get a picture from my sky tv and then when i flick back to the input that the media centre is on it just says no signal.

I have also hooked up my blu ray player to the onkyo and this works fine also.

So cant really get my head around why the media centre has stopped coming through as all i have changed in the setup is the tv

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried a different cable with the Media PC?

The reason I asked about flicking between the inputs is that that forces the system to re-handshake. I have long runs of HDMI cables and sometimes have problems establishing a link with the TV. Flicking between the inputs usually solves it. I tried a signal booster but that degraded the picture with red snow mixed into it. How long are the runs you are using?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Have you tried a different cable with the Media PC?

The reason I asked about flicking between the inputs is that that forces the system to re-handshake. I have long runs of HDMI cables and sometimes have problems establishing a link with the TV. Flicking between the inputs usually solves it. I tried a signal booster but that degraded the picture with red snow mixed into it. How long are the runs you are using?

Willow132

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah i have tried a couple of different cables and it is still the same.

I have tried flicking back and forth and it is still the same.

The cables are approx 1.5-2m long.

As soon as i plug my old tv back in it works fine which is what i dont understand

Willow132

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah i have tried a couple of different cables and it is still the same.

I have tried flicking back and forth and it is still the same.

The cables are approx 1.5-2m long.

As soon as i plug my old tv back in it works fine which is what i dont understand

Willow132

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeah have also tried that too.

I have tried everything even full reset of receiver and then re assigned the inputs and it still doesnt work

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
What graphics card have you got in the media PC? Have you Googled your combination to see if anyone else has had a similar problem?

It sounds like you are losing signal strength by passing it through the Onkyo. Can't remember if the 875 has a second HDMI Sub out. I found with my Xbox that using that and a separate HDMI cable to a different HDMI input on the TV made the whole system more reliable. Worth a shot, otherwise I'm out of ideas as you seem to have done everything.

Willow132

Apr 2, 2008
Visit site
That makes sense with the graphics card.

The 875 has only one hdmi output so just having to connect the media pc direct to the tv so not being able to run it through the surround sound.

Will have a google and see if anyone else has had the same problem.

If not will try changing the graphics card

Thanks for all you advise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts