Problem with amp and cd player

lordthistle

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
I have a NAD C326 BEE amplifier. Among the various sources, including other CD players, I have a NAD C525BEE CD player. This cd player is the only one that causes the problem described below.

Basically, when the loudspeakers are connected to the amplifier, turning on (or off) the C525BEE makes the C326BEE enter protection mode. This does not happen every time, let's say about 90% of the times. The problem occurs with the three pairs of loudspakers (I have) and it does not depend on the source selected on the amplifier. It's enough to turn on the player, and the amplifier gets scaried.

If I disconnect the loudspeakers from the amplifier, then this problem stops: the amplifier never enters protection mode when I turn on/off the C525BEE. The problem re-occurs as soon as I connect the loudspeakers to the amplifier.

I checked the cables, switched sources, switched cables, ... with no results.

I could send them in for repair, but it is expensive (and one of them is out of warranty): is there anyone who has experienced a similar problem? Are you able to understand which of the two devices is defective?

Thanks

Cannot say that I've ever experienced this. However, some sort of surge must be emanating from the CD player and being detected by your amp. Why the speakers being disconnected changes this is less clear to me. I can only guess that a peak output is going to the speakers, and to prevent them popping the amp shuts down.

Can you try connnecting the CD player to a distant wall outlet, maybe using an extension lead, and see if that makes any difference? Do the speaker cables pass near the mains cables and if so can you move them apart?

Subject to more trial and error I suspect the CD player may be the problem. To eliminate the on/off switch, you could try switching from the wall socket.

shadders

Hi,

With the system connected as you have used previously, disconnect one of the phone/rca cable connections from the CD player to the amp and see if it occurs. Try again with the other channel from the CD player, so left connected, with right removed, right connected with left removed.

If you connect the CD player to another input, does it still happen?

What seems to be happening is that the protection circuit is being affected by the CD player connection, but it could be the specific amplifier input that is causing the issue.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts