Probably Been Asked 1000 Times Before But How Far Apart Do People Have Ther Speakers?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
About 8 feet apart. Listening distance (across width of room, not length) about 12 feet due to speakers being 2 feet from wall and my chair back being another 2 feet from the other wall. Ceilings are 8.5 feet high and room is 23 feet long. Solid concrete floor topped with thick underlay and carpet. Speakers on carpet piercing spikes. Front speakers facing straight out (not 'toed in'). Side units facing inwards towards each other. (Rega R3's have side facing speakers as well as front facing ones.)

Usually listen about 2 feet off axis but R3's are not fussy about positioning.

There, you know everything now.

A

Anonymous

depends how well they fill the gap between them, but more so how the room reinforces the bass responce.

I have them flanking the tv, but music seems to want them further appart than the tv.

How far appart the mics were at the studio would ofton be well worth knowing. Odviously that going to reproduce things as there were recorded.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think generally you want to try to get your speakers and your listening position in an equilateral triangle. In my room that means speakers about 2.5 - 3 metres apart from each other and from the listening position. They can be a little closer together than the distance they are from you if need be.

The difficult bit is that different speakers want to be positioned differently in relation to back and side walls, and in terms of toe-ing in. Accommodating all of that and keeping them in the right place relative to your listening position is the difficult bit. Takes a lot of experimentation to get it right, but it makes a massive difference to the sound.

A

Anonymous

General rule of thumb is so that your head and the two speakers form an equilateral triangle. Mine more or less adhere to that principle. About 2.5m apart, and toed in to that their sightlines meet just behind my head.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
My Acoustic Energy AE1's are about 2 1/2 metres apart with toe in. They're about a mtre from back and side walls. Seating position pretty much forms equilateral triangle. Tweeters are at ear level when sat down. Subs are on back wall about 1 1/4 metres from side walls. They're pretty much behind their respective speakers.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, I was unavoidably detained.

I asked because i was experimenting with them, as im getting a new tv and tv cabinet shortly. Now, things currently go speaker - tv and stand - french doors, or whatever ya call 'em - computer desk - speaker. Theyre about 295cm apart. there arre walls beside them so they cant get any further apart.

i tried putting them inside the tv and pc desk, and moving them out nearer to the aforementioned walls. everything sounded kind of squashed. very litle what i think you call sound stage. we then tried every other configuration - one speaker inside and one outside the furniture, for example. finally, i reverted back to the configuration i started with.

at least it tells me for future reference that this is where i like my speakers in this room lol! you are sposed to be farther from them than them from eachother, arent you? i seem to have done the opposite (tho there isnt much in it). Maybe ive just got used to it, but i seem to like it

i initially asked because i thought many people have them closer together so it should sound ok. aparently not, on both counts!

i did have photos in the My System section, but the thread appears to have dissappeared. I'll post them anew when i have my tv set up.

T

the record spot

Roughly 7 feet apart down a long firing room. Sounds great.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't think you can say "How far apart speakers should be from each other!" It is depending on your room and speakers themself. Al is doing the right thing....experiment, my favourate part of hifi hobby
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Headphone's. Where's the triangle in that. Still some people preffer them though.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:I don't think you can say "How far apart speakers should be from each other!" It is depending on your room and speakers themself. Al is doing the right thing....experiment, my favourate part of hifi hobby
emotion-2.gif
I agree. My coworkers both prefer the speakers considerably closer together than they are from the listener, and I would never question their hifi prowess. It's all to do with the individual, I find the triangle to be a good starting point though. Lots of my customers who are new to it or just getting back in tend to place way too close together at first (like 1m apart) and the triangle rule just sort of helps steer them away from that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts