proac/naim

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hello
emotion-1.gif

Is naim a naim preamp+power amp, (nac152XS+ NAP155XS) , a good match to a proac response d 2? and.. what are the advantages over say the NAIM xs integrated?

I`m looking for a very detailed sound, with a nice midrange, and a solid bass. Any experiences with this combo?

I`m used to Rotel pre+power combination, will this be an upgrade over Rotels?

Thanks

daspaceman:

hello
emotion-1.gif

Is naim a naim preamp+power amp, (nac152XS+ NAP155XS) , a good match to a proac response d 2? and.. what are the advantages over say the NAIM xs integrated?

I`m looking for a very detailed sound, with a nice midrange, and a solid bass. Any experiences with this combo?

I`m used to Rotel pre+power combination, will this be an upgrade over Rotels?

Thanks

Hi daspaceman

Naim amps work well with Proac speakers. The 152XS and 155XS better the Nait XS and your existing RSP-1069/RMB-1075 too however i think the difference will not be enough over your existing amplifiers.

If you want a big difference in the quality of power and performance over your amplifiers and are also prepared to stretch your budget than you should consider ATC's SIA2-150 MK2, CA2/P1 or Naim's NAC202/NAP200.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks rick. Might as well increase the budget then..

I read about how good ATC amps are but they lack an HT Bypass.. which i need in oreder to share my proacs between ht and 2 channel listening.

Primare has the pre30 preamp but i`m afraid it is not detailed enough and it is a little laid back from what I read. What other options are available with an HT Byass?

Thanks

daspaceman:

Thanks rick. Might as well increase the budget then..

I read about how good ATC amps are but they lack an HT Bypass.. which i need in oreder to share my proacs between ht and 2 channel listening.

Primare has the pre30 preamp but i`m afraid it is not detailed enough and it is a little laid back from what I read. What other options are available with an HT Byass?

Thanks

Hi daspaceman

Thanks for your message.

I think the ideal solution than would be to hold on to your RSP-1069 and change your power amp. ATC's P1, Naim's NAP250 and Chord Electronics SPM650 would offer an improvement over the RMB-1075.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello again
emotion-1.gif

We've sold countless ProAc models to our Naim customer over the years, they do work very well together. We've been running in the new Studio 140.2's on the 152xs/155xs over the past week or so, and they're soung great together. You'll definitely get more out of the D2's as they're a little more demanding of quality amplification than many lesser standmounts.

Even though you can add a power supply and power amplification to an XS, I'm not particularly a fan of integrated amplifers acting as pre-amps. Also, I think people who buy the Nait XS are the sort who aren't likely to upgrade any time soon. With the pre/power, you are free to swap out the pre or the power at any time, allowing gains in power or quality, depending on which upgrade path you choose to persue.

For me, the pre/power has more of an egde to it, making rock and indie far more convincing, and will control the D2's much better than the XS will.

It would be a fair step up from the Rotels, as good as they are. Rotels do a lot of things right, especially for their modest prices, but lack finesse when compared to higher end products.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

For me, the pre/power has more of an egde to it, making rock and indie far more convincing, and will control the D2's much better than the XS will.

It would be a fair step up from the Rotels, as good as they are. Rotels do a lot of things right, especially for their modest prices, but lack finesse when compared to higher end products.

Hello again David,

I mainly listen to Jazz . A good amp for jazz?

When you say that an amplifier lacks finesse, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks, Kevin.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Rotel amps have plenty of current, and are nice and neutral, especially for their price point, and as I've said, they give you an idea of what to expect from high end stuff. At slightly higher volumes they tend to be a little rough sounding, which I personally don't mind, but many people like something that's very listenable when they turn things up. The Naim is a little more forgiving in the higher frequencies (unlike older Naim, which wasn't unlike Rotel's tonal balance).

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

The Rotel amps have plenty of current, and are nice and neutral, especially for their price point, and as I've said, they give you an idea of what to expect from high end stuff. At slightly higher volumes they tend to be a little rough sounding, which I personally don't mind, but many people like something that's very listenable when they turn things up. The Naim is a little more forgiving in the higher frequencies (unlike older Naim, which wasn't unlike Rotel's tonal balance).

David and others , what do you think of the supernait in combination to the proacs? What about detail and transperancy in midrange and high frequency?

daspaceman:FrankHarveyHiFi:

David and others , what do you think of the supernait in combination to the proacs? What about detail and transperancy in midrange and high frequency?

Hi daspaceman

The Naim Supernait is a good match with your Proac speakers. However i will still suggest that you hold on to your RSP-1069 and consider ATC's P1, Naim NAP250 or Chord Eelectronics SPM650.

I believe this route will be an ideal compromise and will give you a vastly improved performance with music and movie soundtracks.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Do you think the rotel rsp1069 is good enough as a preamplifier for 2 channel duties? What will effect mostly the sound, a preamp or a power amp? Would I benefit more for example by buying an ATC preamp, and keep my current power amp?

From the 3 brands you mentioned I would choose ATC, Is atc a good match to proacs?

Thanks

daspaceman:

Hi Rick,

Do you think the rotel rsp1069 is good enough as a preamplifier for 2 channel duties? What will effect mostly the sound, a preamp or a power amp? Would I benefit more for example by buying an ATC preamp, and keep my current power amp?

From the 3 brands you mentioned I would choose ATC, Is atc a good match to proacs?

Thanks

Hi daspaceman

Yes, i believe the RSP-1069 is good enough for two channel. I take it that (as i advised you some weeks ago) you are also using the RSP-1069 as a dac for two channel? ATC's CA2 pre amp is better than the RSP-1069 however in the context that you need it for and the the flexibility which the 1069 offers than the CA2 would not justify the change/addition or premium.

The savings you make on not having a separate pre amp can be put towards power amps such as the P1, NAP250 and SPM650 all work well with Proac speakers. It just depends on how far you are prepared to stretch your budget and therfore the level of control and performance you require.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Good morning rick,

So in your opinion a good power amp will bring more improvement than a good preamp. The advantage of going the seperate route, like in my case , is that if i`m not satisfied ,I could always buy a dedicated power amp. Do good 2 channel preamps with built in DAC exist? ...Even though I classify as my rotel`s rsp1069 preamp, as very good, especially considering their cost.

The genre of music i listen to is jazz, ranging from classic jazz (charlie parker, coltrane, stan getz, mile davis) to modern jazz (pink martini, diana krall, claire martin) including some vocal jazz too. I `m looking for a warm midrange (hence choosing proAC), but with very detailed highs and solid/fast bass. Which amp from the 3 you mentioned is best for this?

Thanks for your time,

Kevin

daspaceman:

Good morning rick,

So in your opinion a good power amp will bring more improvement than a good preamp. The advantage of going the seperate route, like in my case , is that if i`m not satisfied ,I could always buy a dedicated power amp. Do good 2 channel preamps with built in DAC exist? ...Even though I classify as my rotel`s rsp1069 preamp, as very good, especially considering their cost.

The genre of music i listen to is jazz, ranging from classic jazz (charlie parker, coltrane, stan getz, mile davis) to modern jazz (pink martini, diana krall, claire martin) including some vocal jazz too. I `m looking for a warm midrange (hence choosing proAC), but with very detailed highs and solid/fast bass. Which amp from the 3 you mentioned is best for this?

Thanks for your time,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

I am sorry for my late respense as i have been busy.

The 1069 is good enough and if you are also happy with it than at the moment i would not think about alternatives for a while yet.

All three power amps work well with Proac speakers and are also mostly well balanced with all types of music. I believe it will be ideal not to go for an overly warm sound as the Proacs already exhibit these characteristics. Therefore in this instance i would choose the SPM650 as i believe it will give you an ideal balance of power, quality of power, control and performance. Although please try it/them first.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Rick, Thanks for your response,

I agree the proacs are a little bit on the smoother side, and I must keep this in mind. In your previous post you recommanded the Naim NAP250. How can you connect the NAP250 to the rotel, as the NAP250 has not got any RCA phono connection on it?

Thanks

daspaceman:

Rick, Thanks for your response,

I agree the proacs are a little bit on the smoother side, and I must keep this in mind. In your previous post you recommanded the Naim NAP250. How can you connect the NAP250 to the rotel, as the NAP250 has not got any RCA phono connection on it?

Thanks

Hi Kevin

Your welcome.

You'll need a two phono (RSP1069) to XLR cable (NAP250).

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts