Pro-ject X8 Turntable listening setup

Aaron eVega

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently purchased the Pro-ject x8 balanced turntable (with Ortofon quintet blue MC cartridge) alongside the phono box ds3 b and absolutely love it. But I’m currently just running it into my Sonos play 5 so I can hear it on all my other Sonos speakers around the house. Not exactly the hifi experience i looking for.

My plan is to buy a pair of Focal bookshelf speakers (Aria or the new Vestia) to listen to the aforementioned turntable setup. But obviously I first need an amp.

The quick as easy solution would be the Sonos amp. It would power the speakers, receive the line signal from the ds3 b phono, and show up as just another speaker in the Sonos app. However, placing the Sonos amp within my hifi just doesn’t feel right. And reviews I’ve seen online also recommend to stay away from the Sonos amp for turntables.

Has anyone got an amp recommendation for me? I only need this for the described setup above (not for multimedia or anything else). The priority is first and foremost the audio quality of my turntable setup. But I’d also still like to connect the TT to my Sonos system, without losing quality for the main bookshelf speakers in this setup. Is there an option to use a Sonos port just to connect the turntable and speakers to my Sonos system alongside a separate amp?

Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Aaron

Welcome to the forum, Aaron!

I am not a Sonus user, though I’ve played with a few systems over the years. As you’re wedded to the multi-room capabilities I think you’re right to look at the Sonos Port as a way to feed your Hi-Fi into your Sonos gear.

With a c. £/€2000+ turntable setup, I’d be looking at a similar budget or more for your amp. I’m not especially familiar with the newest Focal speakers, but I’d urge you to audition the ones you like alongside some rivals, and with a few decent amplifiers.

Are you in the UK? If not, it’s tricky knowing what brands you can access, and at what price. Meanwhile, there are dozens of reviews here to look though. You’ll get a grasp of the relative strengths and what facilities are available.

Where are you, and what’s your budget?

Aaron eVega

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for the response! I’m in the US and my budget would ideally be $3000 for everything, amp/speakers/sonos port.

i was indeed looking at pro-ject for the amp just to keep everything looking the same.

I’m not too familiar with the Pro-ject electronics, but whatever you choose, do try with your speaker preference. And spell out the points above to your dealer, so if the Sonos link doesn’t work you’ve got some comeback.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts