rag0n

Jun 3, 2024
Visit site
Hello I have a pro ject debut carbon Evo with the ortofon 2M red. Preamp and amp are great quality custom made tube. And the speakers are the lintons. With a pair of nice speaker cables I have brought the sound around where I want it. Now it's time for me to buy a phono stage. The three mentioned in the title are within my budget and easy to obtain. My questions are:

1) I understand the s2 ultra replaced the ds line and has a discreet circuit. I can still obtain one of any. The ds2 being more expensive is it better a circuit than the s2 ultra?

2) Not having a balanced turntable but having a balanced input on my preamp will the S3 b be a better option since it is in my budget? And even if I use it as purely mono is the circuitry better or equal to the other 2 options?

Generally I would prefer detail over beefiness if that helps.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice

Hello I have a pro ject debut carbon Evo with the ortofon 2M red. Preamp and amp are great quality custom made tube. And the speakers are the lintons. With a pair of nice speaker cables I have brought the sound around where I want it. Now it's time for me to buy a phono stage. The three mentioned in the title are within my budget and easy to obtain. My questions are:

1) I understand the s2 ultra replaced the ds line and has a discreet circuit. I can still obtain one of any. The ds2 being more expensive is it better a circuit than the s2 ultra?

2) Not having a balanced turntable but having a balanced input on my preamp will the S3 b be a better option since it is in my budget? And even if I use it as purely mono is the circuitry better or equal to the other 2 options?

Generally I would prefer detail over beefiness if that helps.

Thanks a lot for your time and advice
Not too sure about the difference between the first two but no point in buying the balanced option on the S3b unless you plan to upgrade to a moving coil cartridge as well.
Note: having researched the other pair mentioned it seems very much of a muchness between them and depends if you prefer a simple look and fiddly dip switches to front mounted settings switches.
Take your pick between them bearing in mind if you are sticking with your current cartridge you only have to set the dip switches once.

Last edited:
Reactions: rag0n
1st change the Red stylus for the Blue stylus , easy sound upgrade

Phono stages can you ask your project dealer for a Demo / Home loan
The OPs first paragraph is a bit ambiguous . He doesn't actually state he currently has a phono preamp.
However, he does say he's got the sound where he wants it and then mentions buying a phono preamp..... Odd!
If he doesn't there's little point in changing the stylus first.

Reactions: Gray

rag0n

Jun 3, 2024
Visit site
The OPs first paragraph is a bit ambiguous . He doesn't actually state he currently has a phono preamp.
However, he does say he's got the sound where he wants it and then mentions buying a phono preamp..... Odd!
If he doesn't there's little point in changing the stylus first.
I'm sorry. I have the sound where I want it as for the rest of the system using a digital source

Also are they both opampless, do they both have dual mono circuitry and is any of the above something I really want?
Are they. I thought only the S2 Ultra was op-amp less.
Anyway the DS2 also has a subsonic filter that can come in handy so personally I would go for the DS2...
Forget that, I now see they both have subsonic filters.
Go for the S2 Ultra..

Last edited:
Reactions: rag0n

TRENDING THREADS