Pro-Ject Phono Box II USB

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I need to buy a Phono amp and wonder if anyone can recommend this as the USB would be useful for copying vinyl onto a computer for transferring to my MP3 player, or does my RP3 with Ortofon Red and Roksan Caspian amp deserve something better i.e Pro-Ject Phono Box SE II Phono stage or Graham Slee Gram amp 2 Communicator .

I also intend to buy an Apollo WT1 TT shelf unless anyone advises against.

A

Anonymous

Well, since no one else has replied...

I think the Phono BoxII USB will be just fine with your turntable. However, bear in mind that it is a budget phono stage, and that your turntable is probably deserving of better.

I guess if you're looking for a quick way of getting vinyl onto your PC this will be fine. If, however, it's primary purpose is longer term as a permanent phono stage, I would look at paying more.

How fussed are you about the quality of your vinyl-to-PC transfers? e.g. are they just for listening to on the iPod?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
tractorboy:Well, since no one else has replied... I think the Phono BoxII USB will be just fine with your turntable. However, bear in mind that it is a budget phono stage, and that your turntable is probably deserving of better. I guess if you're looking for a quick way of getting vinyl onto your PC this will be fine. If, however, it's primary purpose is longer term as a permanent phono stage, I would look at paying more. How fussed are you about the quality of your vinyl-to-PC transfers? e.g. are they just for listening to on the iPod?

Thanks for replying.
The primary purpose will be as a permanent phono stage so on your advice I will go for one of the others I mentioned unless you have a different option.
I was only going to copy over to PC to transfer to MP3 for my MP3 player so is there a cheap way of doing that? If I listen to the vinyl music I have in the house it will always be off TT.

A

Anonymous

I recently did transfers of some old tapes onto the PC. I used a very cheap, as in £10, external USB soundcard, running a line out from the tape deck phonos into the soundcard, with a phono to 3.5mm jack interconnect. The soundcard has now been discontinued, so I can't point you in the direction of that, I'm afraid. Of course, you may have a reasonably soundcard on your PC?

For the recording, I used a free program called Audacity. It is well supported with documentation. See here:

http://www.audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=Transferring_tapes_and_records_to_computer_or_CD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts