Pro-ject Perspex 6

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Saw this turntable in a hi fi shop....wow! This is the turntable I want and will hopefully getting it around January - February next year! The arm is just beautiful and the suspended platter is sublime! Can't wait until I get my hands on one. Aren't some turntables just a fine piece of engineering? The Perspex certainly is :)

gbhsi1 said:
Saw this turntable in a hi fi shop....wow! This is the turntable I want and will hopefully getting it around January - February next year! The arm is just beautiful and the suspended platter is sublime! Can't wait until I get my hands on one. Aren't some turntables just a fine piece of engineering? The Perspex certainly is :)
It does indeed look very well engineered. Looks aren't everything though, but here fortunately you get excellent sounds as well if the reviews I've seen are anything to go by. Good choice gbhsi1!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
And it comes supplied with the all-important hinged dust cover/lid. (Many at this price either have no cover or make you pay a fortune for it seperately.)

Looks good.

It does look great, and the suspension is interesting from an engineering perspective.

For something just as fabulous to look at, and maybe even better sounding, take a look at the Michell Gyrodec SE. It doesn't get a lid, but a Unicover is about £59 extra (though I'd ask for one gratis as part of the package). Made in England too, if that is of interest.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/michell-gyrodec-se-tecnoarm-a

You can start with a lesser arm than the Tecno arm if funds are tight, or go up to the SME IV if you are feelig flush.

nopiano said:
It does look great, and the suspension is interesting from an engineering perspective.

For something just as fabulous to look at, and maybe even better sounding, take a look at the Michell Gyrodec SE. It doesn't get a lid, but a Unicover is about £59 extra (though I'd ask for one gratis as part of the package). Made in England too, if that is of interest.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/michell-gyrodec-se-tecnoarm-a

You can start with a lesser arm than the Tecno arm if funds are tight, or go up to the SME IV if you are feelig flush.

Quite agree about the Gyrodeck but don't spend your money on a Unicover. I did, unfortunately. only to find that it just keeps dust off your platter only. No good for anything else. Its going on Ebay soon and funds going towards a full acrylic box-type cover!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
The gyro SE is a fantastic turntable but I just love the pro-ject, the arm looks the business :) love it, want it, mine mine mine....getting a little carried away! It's not cheap, hi fi shop will only give me £250 for my 2 experience...? Surely it should be more, anyway that would leave a grand for me to shell out! A lot but can be raised :)

A

Anonymous

I have heard a persex 6 with a 2M blue cartridge. My direct comparison points were my old project debut with an OM10 cartridge and the modified LP12 in my signature. Whilst the Perspex was an improvement over my debut it certainly wasn't a £750 improvement and I much preferred the modified Linn with the same cartridge. All heard back to back at home on the system below. I thought the Perspex was a little flat without the solid 3D imaging I love from the LP12.

I would definitely try to audition back to back with what you already have before taking the plunge as it would might be a significant cash upgrade without the performance! I agree they look great though.

gbhsi1 said:
...the arm looks the business :) love it, want it, mine mine mine....

I have read that the appearance (that carbon fibre weave) attracted the designer of the latest Oracle too, though they charge about five grand for their TT with arm. And Linn use a Pro Ject arm on the 'budget' Majik LP12.

These examples suggest to me that the arm may well be better than the TT itself.

A

Anonymous

nopiano said:
gbhsi1 said:
...the arm looks the business :) love it, want it, mine mine mine....

I have read that the appearance (that carbon fibre weave) attracted the designer of the latest Oracle too, though they charge about five grand for their TT with arm. And Linn use a Pro Ject arm on the 'budget' Majik LP12.

These examples suggest to me that the arm may well be better than the TT itself.

Or alternatively you might argue that Linn are keeping costs low!

daskeg said:

Well, yes, indeed they are. It's only about £2200 without a lid! I believe they argue the arm is worth £1000, the cartridge £whatever, power supply £?, so the TT is almost given away. But to me that's a bit like a sofa store that always has half-price sales, because that is the real value. £500 might be nearer the mark for the arm, and I'm sure Linn pay about £150!

A

Anonymous

nopiano said:
daskeg said:

Well, yes, indeed they are. It's only about £2200 without a lid! I believe they argue the arm is worth £1000, the cartridge £whatever, power supply £?, so the TT is almost given away. But to me that's a bit like a sofa store that always has half-price sales, because that is the real value. £500 might be nearer the mark for the arm, and I'm sure Linn pay about £150!

Yes, their own costs rather than the consumer! I love my turntable but I think the new models are hideously overpriced

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Not really - the Thorens is also a fine piece of engineering. I don't think it ugly at all to be honest, I agree the pro-ject perspex is sublime compared to the thorens but I like the simplicity of the thorens :)

If you believe reviews then the Pro-ject is still your best bet for the money.

Thorens have always been 'basic', as you say the sound quality is what counts at the end of the day -its an added bonus though if it also looks 'brill!!

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Long time since I've been into vinyl, but the Nottingham Analogue and Mitchell turntables are pretty hard to beat. Also heard the Marantz TT15SI recently, which is made by Clearaudio and sounded pretty special at around the same price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts