Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (Phono SB) cartridge upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have been enjoying my Pro-Ject Debut III turntable (Phono SB model) with a trusty Ortofon OM5 factory fitted for a few years. It's time for a new stylus at the least but I have heard that fitting an OM20 or OM30 stylus will upgrade the sound of the whole cartridge. Is this true? Is it easy to do?

Would it be money better spent getting a 2M Red fitted at a shop?

Many thanks,

Owen

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
It will be a significant step up, the 2m red is a fine cartridge but by the addition of either the om20 or 30 stylus the 2m red would not be an upgrade, although probably cheaper than either stylus the om cartridge range is still a very viable alternative to the 2m range, as to changing the stylus, just gently pull the stylus assembley from the cartridge body and replace with a new stylus.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. So the OM20 and 30 are fully compatible with OM5 cartridge body?

Owen

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but check the prices, shop around for the best deal, to many people believe changing bits and bobs on their turntables will make them giant killers when a simple cartridge or stylus upgrade can do more, only a better turntable is an upgrade, keep it simple and enjoy the music.

TRENDING THREADS