Pro-Ject 1 Xpression

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
mjg060468 said:
Al ears said:
mjg060468 said:
BigH said:
Al ears said:
BigH said:
I was going to suggest a Nagaoko mm but their prices seem to have gone mad lately.

They have haven't they. Buying direct from Japan is probably the only viable choice. It would appear UK dealers have cottoned on to their popularity and raised prices considerably. Before anyone says no it was Nagaoka then perhaps they could explain why most other cartridges including AudioTechnica have fallen in price.

It would be nice to know though, after the upgrade kit mentioned, what budget the OP has for possible future upgrades.

I don't think its just a uk problem, have read same comments on a USA site also. The fall in £ has probably not helped but it does seem Nagaoka have pushed up their prices in last year or so. Maybe supply and demand I don't know. Cartridges are a matter of taste but getting to hear different ones is not easy.

Probably looking to spend up to £200 for the right cartridge. Have seen a couple of audio technica moving coil for circa £150. Is MC worth looking at over and above a MM cartridge for the same money

Not at that price point, in my opinion, stick with moving magnet.

Was the AT an AT-F2?

Yes it was, is that a good thing?

I wouldn't say it's bad it's just there is no logic in buying cheap MC's. If anything where to happen to the stylus or cantilever you'll end up having to buy a complete new one. As mm's are cheaper to construct you get more for your money at this price point, usually in the form of a better profile stylus, and of course stylus assemblies are user replaceable.

mjg060468 said:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. A fantastic help and definitely going to go down a new cartridge route. Already ordered the upgrade from Henley designs. Really appreciated

What cartidge have you ordered from Henleys?

As Al and I have said leave MC cartridges alone. MC's only come into their own at around £400 mark - vast overkill for Xpression 1.

If you haven't purchased from Henleys then look at Goldring as well as Ortofon. Personal preference is Goldring over budget Ortofon. Ortofons, unless you are talking about Blue upwards can sound very tinny by comparison.

plastic penguin said:
mjg060468 said:
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. A fantastic help and definitely going to go down a new cartridge route. Already ordered the upgrade from Henley designs. Really appreciated

As Al and I have said leave MC cartridges alone. MC's only come into their own at around £400 mark - vast overkill for Xpression 1.

If you haven't purchased from Henleys then look at Goldring as well as Ortofon. Personal preference is Goldring over budget Ortofon. Ortofons, unless you are talking about Blue upwards can sound very tinny by comparison.

I think he means he has ordered the upgrade kit for the turntable itself, as suggested by BigH, from Henleys and not a cartridge.

Al ears said:
plastic penguin said:
mjg060468 said:

I think he means he has ordered the upgrade kit for the turntable itself, as suggested by BigH, from Henleys and not a cartridge.

Right.

I know when I spoke to Henleys fairly recently and subsequently SSAV they both gave conflicting advice. I think we have to understand that a budget TT will have limitations in what's feasible and what isn't.

With the Xpression it'll take (probably) new arm, cartridge.... set the cost out and it's probably worth looking at a more expensive spinny thing.

Just my guess based on 10 years of Xpression ownership.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The new Hana cartridges are getting praise over here

the SL low output is £434

Also the AT 33 PTG is a lovely MC for the money £384 - I have heard one on a garrard 401 with Diablo Phono with NC PSU, Avondale pre/Power & speakers - amazing imaging

mjg060468

May 20, 2016
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Also the AT 33 PTG is a lovely MC for the money £384 - I have heard one on a garrard 401 with Diablo Phono with NC PSU, Avondale pre/Power & speakers - amazing imaging

People's view of the AT440MLB at £129 sort of in my budget

mjg060468 said:
stevebrock said:

Personally that's my go-to cartridge for anyone looking for something in this price range. Can't go wrong as an all-rounder. Within limits, quite large ones, it is happy in most modern tonearms.

mjg060468

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
mjg060468 said:

Personally that's my go-to cartridge for anyone looking for something in this price range. Can't go wrong as an all-rounder. Within limits, quite large ones, it is happy in most modern tonearms.

thank you, have bought AT440MLB and Music Matters setting up for me tomorrow. Fingers crossed that and the s/e upgrade from Henleys does the trick. Thanks everyone for your help and advice

TRENDING THREADS