Pro AC or B & W speakers ?

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I have noticed that in your what Hi Fi issue awards 2007 the Pro Ac D 15 have disappeared from your recommendations. In the july issue you still rated these speakers with 5 stars. Do you know of any plans Pro Ac will bring a new model in 2008 ? The Response SC 1 has been replaced by the new D 2 already ( as far as I know ). And what about B&W ? Will there be any upgrades for the 804 S or 805 S ? Regards PS. sorry for my bad English

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Swaddee krup

Are you looking to upgrade your amps too? The RMB mono blocks although was highly rated in the mid to late 90's I can't help but thinking you wouldn't get the best out of either ProAc or 8 series B&W.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
no, I am not upgrading, I just want to buy another hifi for another room
( about 5x6 metres ).
I have decided for an Accuphase ampli and I just wonder if B&W or Pro Ac will be the better partners.
I have auditioned with a pair of 803 S and 803 D and the sound was amazing ! The CDP was an Accuphase DP 500.
Regards

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am not a Floor stand ProAc man (out of the three pairs I heard the Tablettte ref 8 are the best!) but that due to I like my speakers to slam and kick like a Mule! but that doesn't mean you wouldn't like them!

I love 800 series Bowers more but please never take my word for it :)

There are so many cracking speakers at the price range including Acoustic Zen Adagio, Living voice Avatar, Art Impressions, Neat MF range and my current pair AMPHION XENON is a bargain at £2,500......good luck.

A

Anonymous

Having had the D15s and now the 805s, I'd say you're probably better off with the B&Ws as they are better all round speakers. However, they are a bit laidback, whereas proacs are a bit more forward. The Proac D25s and D28s have fantastic reviews and I'm very tempted. Also the D25 & D28 are more sensitive than the B&Ws which may be something to consider if the amp has a low power rating as i suspect. At this price range there are a lot of others tho, particularly: Focal Lab, Dali Helicon, Sonus Faber, Wilson Benesch. If I were you, I would be making the most of demoing everything out there.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
tks pete Allen,
Yes I like also Sonus Faber They are great speakers also. I auditioned the Grand Piano domus with Unison Unico and with a Unison sinfonia valve ampli. And the small Concerto domus were also quite convincing with a Creek Evo electronic. (although I like the Pro Ac studio 13o better with jazz )
I know that what hifi rates also Wilson Benesch very high, but I wouldn't be able to find these speakers over here.
The D 25 & D 28 are a little bit too expensive to me unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

Also i'd highly recommend the Monitor Audio GR60 or GS60s

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"][quote user="peteAllen"]Also i'd highly recommend the Monitor Audio GR60 or GS60s[/quote]

Shocked Icon here.....[/quote]
has anybody looked at the new platinum series from Monitor Audio ?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Their effort at the WHF show this year was poor - No chance of listening to them! I really can't see the point why they were there...

A

Anonymous

Here are a couple of reviews for the GS60.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?application=&range=1&product=12&area=5

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
tks Pete Allen,
I didn't have a chance to audition to the GS 60.
Up to now I believed that the GS 20 and GS 60 are excellent partners in a surround system, wheras the Pro Ac D 15 are the more audiophile speaker in a Hifi system.
As you had the D 15 before would you confirm this ?

A

Anonymous

That's a difficult and subjective question. The D15 is undoubtedly very musical. I'd be surprised if it's as good as the GS60 though, but they are quite different. The MA sound is very open, wide and lively, so I'd guess it would be better for surround as well as music. Certainly you don't want to mix brands in a surround, proac has great standmounts for surround too, and you need to audition the proacs vs MAs to find out which you like better. It probably comes down to what music you like, and how you like your sound. B&Ws 800 series I'd say are more of a safe bet, they do everything well, and if you audition the 802s or 802d you'll probably never look back :) The B&Ws are stunning too.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
tku pete Allen,
If I only could compare all these speakers at the same dealer with the same electronic in the same room !
But not that you misunderstand me, for me the 803 S ( and the 803 D ) are fantastic speakers which as you say do everything well and they are my favourite speakers indeed.
But on the other hand I would appreciate if I could save some money for cables and the CDP.

Take care

A

Anonymous

Oh, a quick warning if you're going to use subwoofers for music: they have to be exceptional. I'm using B&W 805s with REL Q400s and the RELs are definitely not good enough (I have them at vy low crossover and volume). I found that for the sub an interconnect with excellent bass helps (Atlas Voyager). I'm considering the B&W 825 or Martin Logan Descent or Eclipse subs, but may just wait until i upgrade to floorstanders, but that may be a long time.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
I see, but I have not planned a subwoofer yet. A very good subwoofer is also the Velodyne DD 18 ( not cheap though ) and Klipsch RT 12 D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts