Update: Marantz PM6005 with B&W CM1 S2 or Dali Zensor 3

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
It's a lot of fun to choose a new Hi-Fi set but I'm having trouble making the final decisions. Hopefully you can help to choose, or come with new ideas!

Requirements:
- Play vinyl on a Pro-ject Debut III
- Spotify via Chromecast Audio (or something else)
- Needs to be compact (Q Acoustics Concept 20 is about max size, preferably smaller)

After reading a lot of reviews on this website I've come to this selection:

Amp: Marantz PM 6005 or Marantz PM6006
I was planning on buying the PM6005 but saw that a new version came out. Only, there is no review to be found yet! Do you think it is wise to buy the new one (more future proof)? Does the sound improve much?

Speakers: Q Acoustics Concept 20 or Q Acoustics 3020
Is there a lot of difference between the concept 20 and 3020 (sound quality)? The 3020 is a bit smaller and a lot cheaper but I can't find a good comparison. Do you know more compact speakers that offer the same or better quality? I've looked at Dynaudio Emit M10, B&W 685 S2 and Triangle Eprit Titus EZ but they are all bigger.

Thank you!

If you want compact speakers, the QA are a popular choice, they are readily available, and I've heard them sounding very good.

Almost certain the magazine will say the 6006 is a big step forward. Then in a few months it will be £50 to £100 cheaper. Most users won't really hear much difference.

I'd probably get the older amp with the better speakers. Make sure you budget for good stands. If you are in the UK, many dealers have these items, so get along and decide with a demo. But do try to hear a few others, and forget how many stars it has! For something different, tiny, and expensive, try Neat Iota.

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! Do you think there is a lot of difference between the two QA's? It does save quite some bucks to take the older amp and 3020 speakers (although that's not the most important aspect).

The Neat Iota sounds tempting, it is really small. Thank you, didn't know that one!

And thanks for the discount link, unfortunately they don't ship to the Netherlands.

sanderw said:
Thanks for the tips! Do you think there is a lot of difference between the two QA's? It does save quite some bucks to take the older amp and 3020 speakers (although that's not the most important aspect).

The Neat Iota sounds tempting, it is really small. Thank you, didn't know that one!

And thanks for the discount link, unfortunately they don't ship to the Netherlands.

If the discount is good enough, and you know anyone in the UK, you could get them to ship items to you. Just a thought.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
sanderw said:

If it was my money, I would but the cheaper amp (the 6005) on the basis that the difference will be so small as to be imperceptible, but the more expensive Concept 20s on the basis that they are noticably superior, in my opinion.

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
One other, more expensive, idea: is the Marantz PM6005 capable for the Triangle Esprit Titus EZ speakers? I really like them but isn't leaving enough budget for the suggested amps in this review:
http://www.whathifi.com/triangle/esprit-titus-ez/review

Thanks for your help!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Triangle Speakers that I've heard were very lively and easy to drive, but too bright for my taste, unless paired with a Valve Amp.

Make sure you hear them with the Marantz before buying...FWIW. I would much prefer the Concept 20s.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
sanderw said:
Thanks for your advice BigH. And do you think the 6005 is powerfull enough for Triangle Esprit Titus EZ speakers?

I have not heard the Triangle Esprit Titus EZ yet. Looking at review and specs I would say yes it has enough power but I'm not sure about the quality and control. Seems those speakers are quite revealing. Best thing to do is try them with a variety of amps. Also try other speakers such as Kef. Always best to keep an open mind and choose by listening. Don't rush into buying anything.

gasolin

I feel the PM5005 and PM6005 have a very open sound that can have a tendency to sound bright so i would go for something neutral or slightly dark sounding speakers

Im not a person who like to use the eq to adjust the all over sound, so it has to have a general sound characteristic that i like, i mean why have a system where you only get the sound you like when you use the eq to make it sound the way you prefer,like it

If the sound is not bass heavey don't just use the bass eq to enhance it , get better more bass heavy speaker or a subwoofer, 1-2 db more bass using the eq is not to bad but most people who like more bass 1-2 db isn't enough, then they need better speaker or a subwoofer

I use Dynaudio Emit M10 they are okay neutral so the sound isn't to bright, although it could be characteristed as being a bit bright, that also depends much on what music your playing, but you can't argue with the fact that the marantz pm5000/6005 amps have an open sound

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I've listened to a lot of different options today.

I preferred two options:

Marantz PM6005/PM6006 with Dali Zensor 3 speakers

Marantz PM6005 (didn't try the 6006 there but don't think there is much difference) with B&W CM1 S2 (Also tried with Rotel Ra-12 but didn't liked the sound, too flat).

My question is, is the Marantz capable of driving the B&W CM1 or is it a waste of the extra money? They are quite more expensive then the Dali speakers. The Dali was more direct and open, but I wonder if that gets tiring after a few hours. The B&W sounded more sophisticated (but also more flat, distant) but are double the costs.

I'm curious what your opinions are :)! I can't find a lot of experiences with the new CM1's.

PS I couldn't find the Q Acoustics and I don't think I will buy without listening first.

To get the best from the cm1's...you really need a better amp than the marantz pm6005.....the pm8005 would be ideal..it's greater output and beefier power supply will control the inefficient cm1's much better.it's. Probably why they didn't sound too good at the dem on the end of the 6005.

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
That's what I find so difficult. What is 'get the best out of them'. Is the Marantz with CM1 'bad' as in can't control it and sound would be worse than with the Dali (I'm no audiophile) or do the CM1's always sound better than the Dali even though the amp should get an upgrade. The guy in the shop said that the speakers will last 30 years and if I look it that way, than it would make sense to buy the better speakers and upgrade the amp in a few years when I have new budget. Hope to hear some opinions of you guys :), thanks so far!

Your going to have to use your own ears and decide for yourself if the sound is acceptable to you with the cm1's and marantz pm6005 but you'll be safe in the knowledge that more is to come from them with a more compatible amplifier.more...as in the treble being better refined and the bass will be tighter and maybe even dig deeper.also I would suspect better detail and imaging.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The CM1s are not very sensitive, I would not have thought the 6005 is a good amp. for them or a good combination. Rotel is often recommended with B&W.

With 6005 I would look at more sensitive speakers.

gasolin

BigH said:
The CM1s are not very sensitive, I would not have thought the 6005 is a good amp. for them or a good combination. Rotel is often recommended with B&W.

With 6005 I would look at more sensitive speakers.

My Marantz PM5005 works fine with my dynaudio Emit M10 86 db and 6ohm, cm1 84 db and 8 ohm minimum 4 ohm would be within the limited with a marantz pm6005 if you like loud rock music

sanderw

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for your advice! I think I'll go for the Marantz with the Dali Zensor 3. It seems that if I want one level up I need twice as big budget so for now this is fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts