Primare or Naim

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, i am a newbie and currently had a Arcam Alpha 9, 9P and 9 CDP. I am thinking about upgrading. I struck between Primare Pre30 , A30.2, CD31 and Naim 202/200, CDX2. The Primare set are smooth and warm sounding while Naim are pretty good in the pace and attack. I am in dilemma. Any advice would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

You seem to know what you're talking about, you've really answered your own question. When spending that much money it is essential to go and test them. Only you can decide.

What speakers are you using btw...ÿ

A

Anonymous

i am using mission 782 now. I had intention to sell my whole setup and get a new one. I always heard that Naim sound good on pop and rock music. But a visit to my Naim dealer the 202/200/CDX2 with neat speaker sound great on vocal too and i am very impress. On the other end the Primare Pre30/A30.2/CD31 with MA speaker sound smooth and laid back. Now i am really struck.

A

Anonymous

Well which do you prefer??? I have a Naim set up because I love the exciting sound that sounds great with every kind of music. Not many amps achieve this. For this I put up with it looking like a pimped out paving slab.

That Neat set up would be good though, can you not afford that?.....ÿ

A

Anonymous

I used to have Primare A20/D20 at one point of time and sold the pair for a Naim Nait 5i/CD5i and now 202/200 and CDX2. I like the way Naim sound with its PRAT and since when does Naim only sounds good on rock and pop? I find them are pretty all rounder but by saying this doesn't mean the Primare are not good.As what you mention earlier on they are laid back and smooth sounding absolute no dount bout it. So the final question is , which do you prefer as you are going to set a huge among of money for either set. But i doubt you will go wrong with either one.

A

Anonymous

I think the Primare Combo is hard to beat. The CD is one of the best in the market. I have auditioned Primare i30 (integrated, not the pre+amp setup you are talking about) and the sound was wonderful.

If you're listening mostly to jazz and classical I think the Primare is your option. But, if you don't I think the Primare is your option too
emotion-4.gif
. (Needless to say I like Primare machinery).

I have never auditioned any Naim, but with both setups, you can not go wrong.

A

Anonymous

I didn't say either was better!?!??!?!!??!?! I've not listened to your rock and pop, must be quite niche, but mine certainly sounds good.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
I didn't say either was better!?!??!?!!??!?! I've not listened to your rock and pop, must be quite niche, but mine certainly sounds good.

I thought the Naim only sound good only on pop and rock but after audit the Naim at the dealer place i was so wrong. The primare build seem to be quite robust. I guess i need more time to think about it as i am really confuse now.

A

Anonymous

xenooe:Octopo:

I thought the Naim only sound good only on pop and rock but after audit the Naim at the dealer place i was so wrong. The primare build seem to be quite robust. I guess i need more time to think about it as i am really confuse now.

Incase you misunderstood that comment was directed at Nexski.

You don't need to be confused, don't listen to us and our petty arguments. Trust your ears.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just an additional info for you the Naim are upgraded with the PSU. You can add a NAPSC and Hi-cap for the 202 and a XPS for CDX2. But it is not cheap though. But then again there is an option after all.

A

Anonymous

IMO the extra power given by the Primare amplifier is a winner. Even if the specification sheet says it gives 120w @ 8Ohms, you feel there's much more inside (Primare is very conservative in their power ratings).

I think the more power (understanding real power with high current delevering) you can afford, the better.

And aesthetically, .... needless to say the Primare combo will satisfy any woman.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:xenooe:Octopo:

Incase you misunderstood that comment was directed at Nexski.

You don't need to be confused, don't listen to us and our petty arguments. Trust your ears.ÿ

Dude i was trying to imply that the Naim don't just sound good on rock/pop to Xenooe generally i agree with you on this aspect. I find the Naim to be an all rounder. Beside what Naim do you have at the moment?

A

Anonymous

You need to think about what speakers you are going to buy, these will also have effect on the sound. It would be wise to listen to various speakers on both amplifiers and choose a complete set up. Then you can buy the speakers later.

A

Anonymous

Nexski, it just sounded like you were contradicting him for the sake of it. Sorry if I came across strong.

I have but a wee 5i, a mere David amongst you Goliath's.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
Nexski, it just sounded like you were contradicting him for the sake of it. Sorry if I came across strong.

I have but a wee 5i, a mere David amongst you Goliath's.

I am just offering my opinion on the 202/200/CDX2 as i happened to have them now. Not really a bad set if you really appreciate it at least for me i had no regret at all. I can't advice him much on the pre30/a30.2 though.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure you do. I've heard it many times, if only I had the cash......

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys for all your input, i really appreciate it. The CDX2 cost twice as compared to the CD31, the entire Naim setup cost more as compared to Primare and i was wondering how does it justify for the additional cost and is it worth it?
emotion-7.gif

A

Anonymous

Just a note about naim second hand values..I've had a 202 2000 cd5x fc2x and napsc for a year and my dealer has offered me £1000 trade in for the 202 against a new 282 pre. Upgradeitus will hit if you buy naim but it won't hurt as much as some other makes. Not sure about Primare residuals.
The naim works for me and i'm sure it will for a long time to come, however it could be an expensive relationship.

A

Anonymous

I think you get better value for the money with Primare. The money saved can be invested in better speakers...

The upgrade is also possible with the Primare set up and easy... You just have to get another A3.2 amp and make them work as monoblock bridge (they will deliver 380 watts).

Take your time to decide, because with such budget you have to make a sure move. IMHO you would't be unsattisfied (sonically) at all with none of the choices, but your wallet will be happier with the Primare combo. You can get bored of reading reviews and reviews of the Primare of press all arround the world and the conclussion is allways the same: rivals are far away...

Note that neither I am a Primare worker nor I have any Primare piece of kit.
emotion-5.gif
. My signature below says what I have...

Happy shopping!!

A

Anonymous

Whether the Naim Kit is worth buying or not it depend on you actually. Have you decide on exactly how much you wanna spend for this venture? Trust your ear and conclude which unit you prefer.I certainly agree with Scumbag about Upgradeitus, Naim is pretty additive.In my country the Naim had a better resale value as compared to Primare.

A

Anonymous

Went down the Naim route myself a few years ago and am very happy although still open to alternatives in the future. I found that non-Naim speakers was a severe compromise which, I guess, makes sense in terms of design synergy. A good thing about Naim, apart from the sound and quality, is the (usually) helpful support and advice networks that have built up around Naim gear. It's also become slightly less of a niche market since Avondale started making (reputedly) magnificent and affordable alternatives to some Naim upgrades - haven't yet tried them myself. If you decide you like the sound then nothing else will do. Only downside I can think of is the cost - you can buy a lot of CDs for the price of the most basic Naim system. Oh, and you also need a thick skin. There are a few individuals out there who seem pathologically opposed to the whole Naim philosophy - and it's just hi-fi, for Christ's sake.

A

Anonymous

After auditing the Primare and Naim again at the dealer place , i decided to go for the 202/200/CD5x with Neat Motives speaker. I find Primare sorta laid back to my liking. Thanks all for the input.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts