Primare i32

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Matt, I felt the same when I tried the RS3s during my audition. Clearly very talented speakers but not for me and I felt I would have found them tiring over a longer listening session. The ANs were much more natural and inviting for my tastes.

Yes, Matthew, I'm interested in the ANs too. I plan to arrange a home demo sometime in February. You'll be hearing from me ...

Matt

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Got a used Brio R today, ebay luckily reasonably local.

Got my refund for my Elciit R

Suprising how good the Brio R sounds, my new amplifier quest starts here.......Primare i30 is first up - lets see how I get on with it. If I like it I need to resist the urge to keep it and try a few more (Electro, Icon Audio, Bel Canto, Audio Note)

Meanwhile I have the Brio R to keep me happy

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Primare i30 is first up - lets see how I get on with it.

I suspect you mean the i32, but the i30 is a little less analytical, but possibly a little more organic....maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something?.

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:

Suprising how good the Brio R sounds, my new amplifier quest starts here.......Primare i30 is first up - lets see how I get on with it. If I like it I need to resist the urge to keep it and try a few more (Electro, Icon Audio, Bel Canto, Audio Note)

Good call on the Brio-R. At least it will allow you to take your time finding a new amp whilst having something you know you will enjoy your music on in the meantime.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
stevebrock said:

Good call on the Brio-R. At least it will allow you to take your time finding a new amp whilst having something you know you will enjoy your music on in the meantime.

Exactly had the Brio on since 3pm - its such a good little amp - yep taking my time - who konows I may not find anything !

CnoEvil said:
stevebrock said:

i30 is a little less analytical, but possibly a little more organic....maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something?.

is that an educated guess or fact? remember asking a dealer, many moons ago, for a dem of a i21 but he only had the i20 in stock. Asked him what the difference was between the 21 and 20 and he replied, full of insight: "Not much".

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
stevebrock said:

i30 is a little less analytical, but possibly a little more organic....maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something?.

is that an educated guess or fact? remember asking a dealer, many moons ago, for a dem of a i21 but he only had the i20 in stock. Asked him what the difference was between the 21 and 20 and he replied, full of insight: "Not much".

It's an educated guess based on Primare going from Class AB to Class D, user feedback, and general reviews (including WHF).

The dealer you refer to "may" have been trying not to put people off the new model, given that the old model had a great reputation.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I heard one in Oxford Audio nearly 2 years ago. I demo'd 3 amps, an MF M6i - nice sound but a little unexciting for my tastes. Next was Naim NaitXS. Nice & dynamic & neutral tonality. Lastly, the class D Primare I32. This amp did everything the Nait did but with a hell of a lot more detail or resolution if you prefer. The soundstage was also good. Didn't notice any glare from the SF Cremonas.

I've owned my 2nd hand Primare A34.2 power amp for over a year now - been totally reliable, hardly gets warm with no grills to let dust in. Beautifully made & sound with no top-end roll off. The only consideration with the Primare class D amps is that they don't hide bad recordings like some prefer.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This amp did everything the Nait did but with a hell of a lot more detail or resolution if you prefer.

Thats not good, really not impressed with the XS2 found it too thick on bass.

I actually heard a 5si a few weeks ago too - I'm really not in Naim camp whatsoever.

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
busb said:
I heard one in Oxford Audio nearly 2 years ago. I demo'd 3 amps, an MF M6i - nice sound but a little unexciting for my tastes. Next was Naim NaitXS. Nice & dynamic & neutral tonality. Lastly, the class D Primare I32. This amp did everything the Nait did but with a hell of a lot more detail or resolution if you prefer. The soundstage was also good. Didn't notice any glare from the SF Cremonas.

I've owned my 2nd hand Primare A34.2 power amp for over a year now - been totally reliable, hardly gets warm with no grills to let dust in. Beautifully made & sound with no top-end roll off. The only consideration with the Primare class D amps is that they don't hide bad recordings like some prefer.

Glad you are still enjoying the A34.2, it was me that sold it to you!

Having owned the Pre32/A34.2 after having an I32 on loan my advice would be go for the I32, there is very little between them. In fact if you look at the photos of the insides of these amps on google, there is very little difference in the components, you are effectively paying for the extra case work and power supply with the pre/power (imho)!

Either option, they are very well made, lovely sounding amps that are very efficient and go effortlessly loud.

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
In fact it was the Primare that got me into the whole Class D thing. There are excellent amps from Bel Canto and Wyred4sound along the same vein.

I think the biggest problem Steve will have with a different amp is those RS3s. Rega are a pretty rare breed in that they really sound at their best with a sibling amp. Honestly believe Steve will struggle with any amp that'll satisfy him over long periods.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Amp on hold PP

Got a Brio R at home now, everything sounds really nice - system matching at its best now.

I really can't stomach demoing amps at the min, just gonna enjoy some music for a few months.

I dont really want to spend that much on an amp if I'm honest - £1598 on the Elciit R was way over budget - it has left me somewhat dissapointed.

Happy now with the Brio R.

Like the sound of the Exposure 2010s if Im honest - it comes in black too

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
Amp on hold PP

Got a Brio R at home now, everything sounds really nice - system matching at its best now.

I really can't stomach demoing amps at the min, just gonna enjoy some music for a few months.

I dont really want to spend that much on an amp if I'm honest - £1598 on the Elciit R was way over budget - it has left me somewhat dissapointed.

Happy now with the Brio R.

Like the sound of the Exposure 2010s if Im honest - it comes in black too

I love your honesty Steve and I'm glad you are enjoying the music. If it ain't broke.....

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Rich27 said:
busb said:

Glad you are still enjoying the A34.2, it was me that sold it to you!

Having owned the Pre32/A34.2 after having an I32 on loan my advice would be go for the I32, there is very little between them. In fact if you look at the photos of the insides of these amps on google, there is very little difference in the components, you are effectively paying for the extra case work and power supply with the pre/power (imho)!

Either option, they are very well made, lovely sounding amps that are very efficient and go effortlessly loud.

Although very happy with the amp, class D is very much a mixed bag regarding its perception. Some accept the technology such as us but many, including WHF reviewers are less keen on the sound.

I ditched the metal Target rack I had when when you dropped the amp off Richard - bought a custom-sized HiFi Racks oak one.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
My DAC sounds really good through the Brio R - one of the Elicits traits - transparency

I've stait that in my amp upgraid journey thread about the Elicit R, the DAC sounded harsh, to much "transparency" for my ears. RP3 sounded much better but i couldn't buy a amp that sound right just for one source.

I know that vinyl is your source for 90% of the time, but for me Rega DAC is my source 90% of the time. :grin:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Fair enough, but if there's anyone else out there looking for a top quality amp, DAC inclusive, I urge you to take a look at

the Accuphase E212 currently on sale at Midland Audio for an absolute bargain... it will make someone very happy.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Thanks for the heads up - I just want to listen to some music for a bit without worrying about the next Elicit going wrong!

I will demo some amps at home to see if anything that I like!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts