Primare i30 or Roksan Caspian

Looking at your signature, are you saying is the Primare a better amp than the Caspian? To that end I'd say you need to listen to both and decide. The Primare (I've only heard I21) sounded very smooth in comparison with the Caspian. The Roksan IMO has more bite but it depends how you want to shape the sound.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Plastic penguin.

I have the Caspian with the ATC SMC 19. to make them sound properly I have to have the sound level pointing to 12 (more or less in the middle). an Audiophile friend that went to listen to my system recommended me maybe to look at a more powerful amp. I was thinking in add the Power caspian but to have two cables per speaker will be a miss as I have the system in the living room (WAF). Now and I have the chance to by a Primare i30 used at a quite decent price so I was wonder if it is a good option or not. Before I buy the Caspian i listen to the primare i21 with the Audio Phisic Yara classic II and I liked the Roksan with the ATC better, but I have not hear the i30.

kr

Eduardo

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I've not heard the caspian, but have used primare amplification with atc scm11s and 40s with great success. However, if all you are after is more power then I suspect you will get a somewhat different sound, so would definitely recommend a demo if possible. Of course, if that's not possible and the price is good, the market in second hand primare is still fairly buoyant and you're unlikely to lose much money if you need to sell on.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
It isn't on their site anymore, but there used to be a .pdf on ATCs website of a WHF? review of the Primare cd31/i30 partnered with SCM19s. It was one of the 'same manufacturer system' reviews but because Primare don't make speakers they specifically requested WHF? use SCM19s, it was awarded 5 stars as a system and got a great write-up. I had an i30 on home demo for about a week, it's a very good amp - looks great, well built, and genuinely powerful.

Here is a previous thread asking about 19s and i30: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/primare-i30-atc-scm19-anyone

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Just wanted to say one thing re adding a power amp (I did and it was one of the best things I ever did).

I have twin runs of speaker cable and I used tiny cable ties every ten centimetres to keep the cables together. You wouldn't know it was twin runs unless you looked REALLY close, it just looks like regular 'shotgun' speaker cable.

I wouldn't rule out bi-amping altogether on the basis of messy wiring.:)

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
thank you very much to all for the very good advaices. I think I will try both. the Primare i30 and the power caspian. it is a good idea waht Big Chris say about the cables.

kr

Eduardo

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You are looking at this wrong, judge your current amp on how it sounds rather than what no. the volume dial is on. if your amp starts to kick going on to 12 O clock it most likely means its attenuated correctly, as opposed to having alll its power delivered by 9 O clock like most modern amps which jump from quite to way too loud in 1 or 2 clicks. after 9 O clock and starts to distort..

saying that I'm not familiar with Roksan kit or ATC - but still.....

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Craig. very interesting and helpful post.

MUSICRAFT, I am totaly agree wiht you. I change my SCM11 for the SCM19 has my living room is very big and they are woth every penny!!

another question if you can answer. waht will be you AMP recomendation in the USD 5.000 range for the ATC SCM19?

thank you in advance

Eduardo

ebentjerodt said:
Thank you Craig. very interesting and helpful post.

MUSICRAFT, I am totaly agree wiht you. I change my SCM11 for the SCM19 has my living room is very big and they are woth every penny!!

another question if you can answer. waht will be you AMP recomendation in the USD 5.000 range for the ATC SCM19?

thank you in advance

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo

Have you also considered ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 and CA2/P1? Apart from Accuphase, Chord Electronics, Gryphon, Primare and Roksan what other makes and models of amplification is also available for you to audition please?

What is the size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Btw, yes i feel SCM19 monitors are worth every penny of their asking price. As i've said before i think that SCM19's are probably the finest VFM passive bookshelf speakers currently available on the market regardless of price. Have you seen SCM19's massive SLMT mid/bass drive unit in the flesh :twisted: (away from the cabinet)?

ATC monitoring
smiley-cool.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have MK1 Caspian and also often have to have the dial at 12. This does not affect sound quality and actually means that the amp has a greater volume range at low to mid volume levels.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi Musicraft! I have made something really crazy. just bought the Gryphon Diablo!!! if you have heard the match you can understand the feeling I have had to night!!! just incredible!! Roksan is great but the Diablo is in another league!! It is amazing how the SCM 19 are grateful with the upgrade!!!

definitely Gryphon and ATC are a great match!!!!!

kr

Eduardo

ebentjerodt said:
Hi Musicraft! I have made something really crazy. just bought the Gryphon Diablo!!! if you have heard the match you can understand the feeling I have had to night!!! just incredible!! Roksan is great but the Diablo is in another league!! It is amazing how the SCM 19 are grateful with the upgrade!!!

definitely Gryphon and ATC are a great match!!!!!

kr

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo

Fantastic :clap: Gryphon produce great products and the Diablo amplifier looks the business :twisted: I also know of others using Gryhon amplification with ATC monitors and they also report this pairing to be a great match :star:

Anyway i am really pleased for you
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts