Primare I30.1 vs Roksan Caspian M or K2 Amps

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone recommend which of these goes well with Dynaudio Focus range and what do think about I30.1 vs Roksan Caspian M or new K2 is better the old Caspian.

I am looking for a second-hand amp and has shortlisted these 3 options. Thanks.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the i30 sounds very good with focus 110s, but it won't sound good if you have a bright source. roksan caspian cdp went well with it and the 110s. the i30 is a high current amp, which the focus range needs. not heard a caspian or k2 with them.

SteveR750

I don't think the Caspian or the K2 are lacking in current capability. Whilst its an important lab measurement it is only an indicator of an amps performance and is not alone a good guide for SQ.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Craig,

My source is Sonos with DacMagic, Although I have an Arcam Diva72 but it's collecting dust as I have not used it for years
emotion-2.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:I don't think the Caspian or the K2 are lacking in current capability.

it would seem the caspian and k2 both have 50 amp peak to peak, the primare has ñ40A. i don't know if the ñ means it has 40 amps peak to peak or 80 amps peak to peak.

SteveR750:Whilst its an important lab measurement it is
only an indicator of an amps performance and is not alone a good guide
for SQ.

i agree unless the speaker really needs a lot of current to control the bass driver. the focus 110 is one of those speakers that just sounds better the more power you can shove up them, i assume the rest of the range is the same.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I tried the K2 not so long ago, paired with my Marantz CD63 KI Sig and linked to the Spendors. I concluded that, although it sounded good, it brought no significant gain in performance over the PM66SE KI Sig it was potentially going to replace.

In all honesty, having now purchased and listened to the Primare CD31 and I30, the gains I have over the Marantz pairing are not huge. Yes, the sound has improved, but quite how much I would have to spend to get that major leap is a good question.

Therefore, I would say drop the K2 from the running - I don't expect you would gain any appreciable benefit from it. Pity I never got to hear the Caspian for a comparison.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think I30 is new version of I30.1 and has better sonic performance then it's predecessor. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
is it an i30.1 or a30.1? primare did actually release a successor to the i30 but it wasn't as well reviewed, so they went back to the old one, iirc. can't remember what that one was called though. i think the a30.2 and i30 are essentially the same.

a different angle for your focus' could be a 2nd hand avi lab series integrated, supposed to match very well.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I've dropped the idea of getting an A30.1 as it was released in 1998 hence 12 years old, the price difference b/w A30 and I30 was very attractive as I30 cost almost 2 times the A30.1 hence it got me interested.

I will hunt for I30 or Roksan Caspian. I am not sure if Cyrus is any good with Focus but will try to get a demo. Problem with old Amps is it's hard to get a demo and there is too much dependency on personal experiences and words of mouth.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts