Price Hikes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
nopiano said:
I'd have liked to see Apple absorb some of the price fluctuations given their almost obscene profits and cash pile.
Now we're talking pigs flying, not turkeys voting for Christmas.

Yep, Apple makes tons of money. But they deserve to.

What other company invests in pushing the envelope in terms of hardware (including designing their own chips), software - two independent operating systems and Apps for them both and services?

Everyone else gets their operating systems either from Google (for free, so long as you agree to their draconian control and consumption of all data that goes through each device - the only reason Android exists is to ensure a rich data pipeline for Google's advertising-driven business model) or Microsoft, who will charge you for the pleasure, as well as mine device data.

Apple reaps the rewards of a tightly integrated ecosystem of hardware, operating system, Apps and services that work seamlessly together and deliver a coherent, secure experience that people see real value in.

Google, for example, has only one business model that makes the majority of its profits: Advertising revenue, gained by mining as much data as they can, to target advertising at you. All their 'services' are there simply to mine data. To them nothing else matters, yet they are never criticised for it.

A strange world we live in.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Gazzip said:
The pound is trading 15% down on the dollar from where it was this time last year, and 20% down against the Euro for the same period.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

Such is the price of Brexit! It may work out long term, I don't know (and nor does anybody who voted to leave, which I did not), but short term this was 100% predictable, foreseen and reported, so we shouldn't really be that surprised. We have a service sector based economy. We are a country that doesn't really make anything anymore, and is reliant on importing the raw materials and components for the few things that we do still make. Any market shift of this nature is obviously going to hurt.

Fortunately I work for a company that makes the vast majority of its products in England. The exchange rate has worked massively in our favour and we see no need to raise prices. Fortunately, come bonus time and because I'm bonused on profits, the extra I'll get due to the exchange rate means the SME price increase won't personally matter.

However, I still question why they need to hike their prices so much.....

shadders

Infiniteloop said:
spiny norman said:
nopiano said:
I'd have liked to see Apple absorb some of the price fluctuations given their almost obscene profits and cash pile.

What other company invests in pushing the envelope in terms of hardware (including designing their own chips), software - two independent operating systems and Apps for them both and services?

Everyone else gets their operating systems either from Google (for free, so long as you agree to their draconian control and consumption of all data that goes through each device - the only reason Android exists is to ensure a rich data pipeline for Google's advertising-driven business model) or Microsoft, who will charge you for the pleasure, as well as mine device data.

Apple reaps the rewards of a tightly integrated ecosystem of hardware, operating system, Apps and services that work seamlessly together and deliver a coherent, secure experience that people see real value in.

Google, for example, has only one business model that makes the majority of its profits: Advertising revenue, gained by mining as much data as they can, to target advertising at you. All their 'services' are there simply to mine data. To them nothing else matters, yet they are never criticised for it.

Hi,

Linux is the third alternative, it is free, and does not use data mining to ensure it is free.

Regards,

Shadders.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
shadders said:
Infiniteloop said:
spiny norman said:
nopiano said:

Hi,

Linux is the third alternative, it is free, and does not use data mining to ensure it is free.

Regards,

Shadders.

Which phones use Linux?

shadders

Infiniteloop said:
shadders said:
Infiniteloop said:
spiny norman said:
nopiano said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Which phones use Linux?
Hi,

Ubuntu, Amazon, Firefox, Samsung all have Linux OS phones.

I was not aware this was phones only discussion when Apple was mentioned.

Regards,

Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS